Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

new to screen/projection/mirrors...

Hi everyone! I've been using Flight Simulator since all FS9 I started off with a single monitor like most everyone did, then as hardware advanced I used a Matrox Triple-H2Go with 3 displays, now I'm using (3) GTX580HCS on a high end gaming rig with multiple monitors and having a BLAST flying. However, by accident I ran a cross a thread that showed a YouTube video of a cockpit using a collimated screen, then another specifically talking about using Mylar as a mirror, another link lead me here! I must say WOW!!!! I am hooked on the idea of turning my hobby room in my basement in to a flight sim cockpit with the 200+ degree curved screen etc.

So my questions are: 1) Is there a newbie's guide to all this concept? 2) Is there specific material you guys use for the curved "mirror" screen ( website/pricing) where to purchase?

I am doing a lot of reading but work this is a busy time of year at my job so my leisure time at the computer for research is very limited right now. Thanks for any advice and I'm glad I joined the forum!!!
    Clear Sky's (Or whatever type of weather you like to fly in!)

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: new to screen/projection/mirrors...

1) No, there is no newbie's guide. The concept is solid, but there are still some bits we can't -tell- you exactly how to do. Specifically, the 'ears' at either end of the display are still covered by an active patent. There is a loophole in patent law that allows you to reverse-engineer a patent for 'research purposes in order to more fully understand the described invention', but if we were to publish a step-by-step, there's a chance someone would consider it close enough to infringing to wake up their lawyers. Fortunately the patent in question, particularly given all the photos and videos of our build, is easy enough to understand. Also, there are a few technical issues we're still working out. For instance, there is a LOT of tension in the mylar when it's drawn down - we've had continued issues with the mirror pulling away from the frame, and re-skinning is a pain in the you-know-what.

2) We use 1-mil aluminized mylar from Nielsen's Enterprise, purchased from a local distributor. They used to carry 56" stock, but it seems they've switched to 52" somewhere around April 2011. This is slightly disappointing, as the 56" width is perfect for a 48" radius mirror for 210°, but the 52" is too small.

I know it's a long read, but I suggest you start with the original thread, here:
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...isplay-systems
    it covers most of what we've learned, and answers lots of questions along the way.

Re: new to screen/projection/mirrors...

OK thanks for the info.

I did notice Matrox has come out with a video projection overlap technology. They have a PDF file available on their website showing the use of 3 projects to create a flat video wall. I realize that is not "surround" like a curved projection screen or curved Mylar mirror like I've seen on home built cockpits. Even using (3) 24" monitors like I have @ 5760x1200x32 or even at 6048x1200x32 I feel as if I'm still missing the "effect" of the wrap around. I am doing a lot of reading etc., but feel any direction I take right now might be a mistake. So until I can really get my head around the whole home built cockpit idea with eyefinity display etc. I’ll keep searching. Even with AMD (ATI FirePro V9800 GPU) and their new Eyefinity supports up to 6 monitors. I’m not sure what advantage that would really give me over what I’m doing now which is (3) eVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2’s in Tri-SLI with (3) 24” active screen.
    I’ll keep reading/learning and update this thread as I can. Thanks