Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Arduino Interface Program DVA2FSX

Hi Diego,
    Thanks for the reply and clarification. Ive tried connecting a servo,red wire to 5v on Arduino and black to ground.Have used
    an external supply to dc power input jack. Found i was able to move the servo two or three times then the program locks up an d i have to exit the program to start again.P/S was a12v 1amp which should have been sufficient for 1 servo.
    Do you have any thoughts on this.
    Thanks
    Les

75+ Posting Member

Hi Les,

Can you try a low powered servo staight off USB without the power supply and let me know what happens. I had a couple of issues with external power supplies.

Thanks
    Diego

Hi Diego,
    Thanks but unfortunately i only have servos like hs511. What i was going to try was to power the servos from a seperate
    supply and tie gnd back to Arduino. Thats how Opencockpits power their servos if need be
    Regards
    Les
    P.S I did try to run from no external p/s and one servo, bit like i do with O/C card still the same result.

75+ Posting Member

Hi Les,

Not sure what the issue could be. I have no problems with the Arduino Uno, running 2 servos off the USB port and running calibration, moving servos back and forth numerous times and have no crashes, very stable. The only reason the program would crash would be a serial communication issue with the arduino. Also tried with a 9v powersupply, all seems good. Im running this off a laptop, so maybe with your power supply there is a grounding issue?

While this seems all good for low powered gauges, Im at a stage where i need to look at he best way to bypass the onboard voltage regulator as i have some big servos that i need to move.. I'll let you know if i figure out the best way to do this. The trick is that if you have your arduino connected via usb and an external regulated powersupply which bypasses the onboard regulator, all of it needs to be grounded together as you have pointed out, and if you are using an external powersupply and bypass the regulator, the arduino will also be drawing power from the usb line due to the Uno autoselect power, which may or may not cause an issue. Im not sure, im not the best with electronics.. There is a couple of things i will try and then post my results.

Cheers
    Diego

Hi Diego,
    Thanks for your comments, i will try a few more things as i noticed that not connectinga servo i can play about with both
    options ie cal anlogue and cal servos with no hangup.It could be something with the servo i tried, going to try another
    better quality one.
    Re your question about bypassing the regulator. To cut off USB 5v feed all you have to do is feed Vin with a voltage.
    The circuit has a FET witch switches off the 5v from usb when Ext p/s fitted.This fet is fed from a op amp which is toggled by
    applying Vin.
    Will keep in touch and let you know how it pans out.
    Regards
    Les
    P.S Update:All is fine, had a chance to try another Servo hs511. Had my suspicions about
    the one i tried. Thanks for all the help and when i find some more time will try it out
    in Fim
    Last edited by iwik; 01-11-2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Updated info

75+ Posting Member

Hi Les,

Have another beta to release soon... I spotted a few bugs with the older version.. Will send through on your PM so you can test.

Thanks
    Diego

Thanks,
    Yes now i'm having trouble with the Analogue input. Servo is reliable, analogue cal gives me a error saying its the analogue
    input giving an exception handling error. If i delete data for an analogue input so i can disable it. It reports an error that
    a value in the .ini file is incorrect.
    Will keep an eye out for the update.
    Les
    P.s The analogue error comes about if you have had a pot connected to analogue input. Then if this is removed and the the program is started all is ok till you hit Analogue Cal but. Then the
    error appears. Appears it doesnt like a calibrated input with nothing connected.

75+ Posting Member

Hi Les,

That issue is more a corruption of the ini file, which may happen if you edit the ini file manually possibly while running a2fsx and don't provide a new line for each value.

1. Shutdown the program and open the ini file in notepad. Check that each value is on a seperate new line. EG
    OFFSET=
    MAXVALUE=
    MINVALUE=
    and not
    OFFSET=MAXVALUE=MINVALUE
    2. Once corrected you should be able to open the calibration window with no problems.
    3. To disable an analog input from simply set the OFFSET to 0 in the calibration window and Save.

Cheers
    Diego

Hi Diego,
    Thanks for that, i tried to make the fields blank spaces and obviously this causes a corruption to the ini file as you suggested.
    If one needs to use the servos to drive gauges, how do you provide corrections as some gauges dont have a linear scale.
    I dont really follow what or where this can be done in your i/f or is that not possible. If so a small example would help.
    Thanks gain
    Les

Hi Diego,

This looks like a very neat & simple way to control servos from FS.
    You mention you use FSUIPC offsets as interface between your program and FSX
    Can this setup also be used for FS9?

Thanks!
    RR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast