Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

different behavior when controlling autopilot ALT / HDG via keyboard instead of mouse

Hi, I have a problem with FS9 default 737 autopilot.

I wanted to control auto-pilot functions via push button switches.

Then I noticed that the (default B-737) auto pilot ALT / HDG / IAS functions behave different when they are controlled by keyboard short-cut when comparing to clicking ALT/HDG/IAS with mouse on the panel:

Here is what I do:

Before take-off I set the target altitude and heading.
    After take-off, I switch-on auto-pilot and click (by mouse) the ALT, HDG buttons on the 2D panel.
    The preset values I had set before take-off remain unchanged, and the A/P starts to control the aircraft to reach those values.

But when I do the same but now use the default keyboard short-cut CTL-Z (Altitude hold on/off) and CTL-H (Heading hold on/off) to switch-on HDG, the preset values are changed to current Altitude and Heading values, and the airplane just levels off.

I would like to have the A/P behavior when using mouse.
    Does anyone know what I should do to get the same behavior as mouse when using keyboard (ultimately using switches via FSUIPC)

I get the same result when assigning keyboard action via FSUIPC AP Altitude hold on/off and AP Heading hold on/off.
    RR

Re: different behavior when controlling autopilot ALT / HDG via keyboard instead of mouse

I just had this problem myself and have been Googling all morning for an answer. While searching for the answer I stumbled upon this thread. I decided even though this was posted awhile ago that If I found an answer I'd come back and share it here. I finally found one. I don't know if you've found one yet but I figure since you and I had this question there may be others looking for the answer. So here it is.

1) Find the FS9.cfg file. If you're on Windows 7 it's here: C:\Users\(YourUserName)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 AppData is a hidden folder so you need to turn on hidden folders to see it.

2) Make a backup of this file in case you accidentally screw something up.

3) Find the various lines that show the autopilot commands. They look something like this:

AP_HDG_HOLD=72, 10

That particular line is for the autopilot heading hold, the Ctrl+H command.

4) Go to this list: http://www.lear45project.org/uploads...x_controls.pdf

5) Find the similar autopilot command from that list but find the one that includes the word PANEL. Copy this command and replace the command in the FS9.cfg file. For example the line above, AP_HDG_HOLD=72, 10 should be replaced with AP_PANEL_HEADING_HOLD=72, 10. Do this for all the other autopilot functions you want to change, save the file and you're good to go. The keyboard shortcuts should act exactly the same as clicking the mouse on the button will.

Any questions, please ask.

Re: different behavior when controlling autopilot ALT / HDG via keyboard instead of mouse

Oops! Double post!
    Last edited by EventHorizon; 02-25-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Double Post

Sorry for delay in answer, but thanks a lot!

I think the most important issue I was struggling with that I had no idea about the differences between AP_HEADING_HOLD and AP_PANEL_HEADING_HOLD: They seem to do very different things.

The AP_PANEL_xx seem to do exactly what I want.

I did not succeed in editing the FS9.CFG file, (my entry seems to get overwritten after running FS) but I did succeed to get the switch assignment to work like I want by choosing the correct AP_PANEL_xx selection in FSUIPC.

Is there a "FSUIPC list of FS commands explained for Dummies" document somewhere? I could use some explanation about what some commands actually do.

Thanks again for your help!
    RR

I'm not sure why the .cfg file is getting overwritten for you. It might be because of your user account control settings if you're on a Windows OS. As far as a list of commands, I'm not sure. I'll do some more searching and see if I can find anything.

6. Thanks Roland thanked for this post