Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Exclamation 2 MasterCard Burned - Please Help

Hi,

I am new to cockpit building. After doing a lot of research, I decided to buy OpenCockpit's ready-to-use I/O cards and 7-segment display..

I tested the Display Card with 7-segment display but it didn't work, so I thought there is something wrong with the Master Card, so I use the another Master Card and try to connect one card at a time.

When I connect only the USBExpansion card to USB slot on my PC, the red LED on the card is on. Checked with Controlador.exe, USB is detected and running. When I connect the MastedCard to it, the LED is off. When I connect the +5V and GND power from ATX Power Supply, there is a fire and smoke coming out from the MasterCard PCB line between the GND cable and DB9 connection. However, after the fire, I checked the MasterCard Input with Controlador.exe and it stilll works, but haven't tried the output, though.

I tested the power supply it is 5.4V. I bought an 500W Power Supply and did the conversion. I connect the green wire with black wire to turn it on, and as suggested by many people, I connect a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor between the red and black wire for the load.

I follow the OpenCockpit's document and read several postings on several forum and also some builders' websites and it seems that everything should be ok.

What did I do wrong? Please Help.

I am plannig to buy another MasterCard from OpenCockpit but I need some advice from all of you first because the shipping itself will cost me EUR 87 and I still have to pay 25% Tax and Custom charge.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
    Adni

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: 2 MasterCard Burned - Please Help

Hi Adni
    did you connect the 5Volt the correct way round on the master card the +(plus) is nearest the DB9 connector?
    regards
    geoff

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi Geoff,

You are right. I just tried to switch the power for the Master Card and it works, and my display card shows all 7-segment display correctly.

This is quite embarassing because it is in the OpenCockpit documentation and it's been in front of me all this time and I knew I read it already.

Thank you so much. I will test all the inputs and outputs of the Master Cards and see if it is still functioning properly.

I am so excited to try SOIC programming now. Already printed all Nico's SOIC How-To from his website.

Again thank you so, so much for your help, Geoff. This is a great forum.

Best regards,
    Adni

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Adni
    glad I could help. That's why I enjoy this forum because you can always get help here.
    kind regards
    geoff

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Adni thats a mistake i made a few years ago with my master card, as a tip i was able to replace the burnt out section of the Track on the pcb by using a wire link soldered to bypass the burnt out track section and the board was fine -- a good testament to Opencockpits pcb's i suppose or just lucky i guess that no other parts seemed to be damaged .. lesson learnt though they do great products and must have all the card sell by now just really slow on my part getting them fitted to my ever changing cockpit dreams LOL