Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Would like to buy a home made flight simulator..any for sale??? Pls help!!!!

I am looking to buy a complete flight simulator. I'd like to build it myself but don't have the time. Pls post to pics THANKS!!!

75+ Posting Member

Re: Would like to buy a home made flight simulator..any for sale??? Pls help!!!!

I had a long post typed up and regrettably I got logged out by my computer....so I apologize if this is a bit shorter and more abrupt. The intent is to help you to understand the nature of your question, and to help answer as best as able.

I would like to ask that you consider very carefully what you are asking. First, there are several details you need to know up front.

1.) What type of cockpit are you looking for?
    **Just like saying "I would like to buy a car", that is not in itself a statement. There are helicopters, airliners, fighter jets, warbirds, general aviation, commuter jets, and just about everything else you could imagine. These are all VERY different, and likewise, the types of cockpits within these are varied (the Boeing cockpit is moderately more spacious, whereas the Douglas cockpits are pretty cramped, and Learjet cockpits induce cuts, headaches, and foul language).

2.) What are you willing to spend?
    **At present, there is a complete mockup of a Boeing 737NG up for sale that is asking $50,000 or best offer. The CHEAPEST I've seen for a cockpit setup (equipped for simulator already) was a F-4 Phantom that sold for around $15,000 and that was around a year ago. Non-specific cockpit mockups of "generic" pedestals, control columns, and panels could be found cheaper.

3.) What are you looking to accomplish?
    **If you just want a "kinda cockpit", then you could easily assemble some plug and play pieces yourself without getting much more invested. Additionally, if you just want to use throttles/pedestals, that is much easier to accomplish and can be done cheaper than if you are wanting something where you walk into the "office" of the aircraft and are almost totally immersed in the reality. My intent with the DC-9-32 cockpit is that when you walk into the DC-9-32, it looks like you have stepped from my shed into the office of an actual airliner. Over 95% of these pieces are from an aircraft, and whenever possible, I will have the authentic look so that I can get the desired effect. As a result, I have spent nearly $9000 in simply acquiring parts, and am anticipating probably another $5000-10,000 in getting the pieces to work, building the structures, and computer stuff. That number may continue to grow....but should give you an idea on what a true to life cockpit can run.

4.)What are your space constraints?
    **This is critical. My first love was the Boeing 727, and I wanted to do that, as I LOVE the JT8Ds and the 727 has space that multiple people can be involved and active. However, the office is approximately 10 feet long by 12 feet wide by 8-9 feet tall. As a result, I had to start with the MD-80 as no DC-9 software existed at the time (that was quality production). The DC-9 cockpit was shorter (around 6-8 feet including the back wall and observer station, otherwise could be as short as maybe 5-6 feet) and only slightly narrower (10 feet wide), and was around 6 feet tall at from floor to ceiling. HOWEVER, there is around 6 inches ABOVE the ceiling for the gauges and around 8 inches BELOW the lowest level of the flight deck that is required to enable full motion/function of the rudder pedals and control columns (unless I whack the deep legs off, which I don't want to do)...which brings it to around 8 feet tall. In my old house, this almost destroyed my project, but fortunately we had to move when I changed to my new job, and thus I was able to find a house that had a shed that would let me resume my work.

Things that I think YOU should think about are as follows:
    1.) Are you sure you want to do this? If you are thinking of a cockpit mockup, I strongly advise you to think heavily on this and be sure you want to do this. If you spend $5000 in pieces, or pick a project that you can find one or two pieces and then nothing more, you *MAY* be able to sell some of this for $1500 (depending on what aircraft you get and the desirability.

2.) If you have a family, are you sure THEY want you to do this? This can cause a lot of family stress if you don't talk it over. My wife isn't happy that I do it, but has been supportive once she realized that it was important to me...others have changed or given up their projects because family support has gone away and it has caused too much stress (financial or "emotional/time").

3.) Also, if you buy something "pre assembled" there are several concerns. Is it done correctly? (How would you know if you didn't see it?) If it's a complex system, do you know enough about networking to troubleshoot it successfully? (I bought a custom gaming computer, and the thing was put together HORRIDLY come to find out, with a bunch of wires all over) If you want to upgrade, do you know enough about the networking to do it yourself? Furthermore, the nice part of building your own pit is that you learn how the aircraft were built, and how the systems interact. For example, the DC-9-32 airframe was built, and each piece was carried in and assembled inside the cockpit...Boeing on the other hand built the cockpit and then slid it in, then finalized the airframe.

These are just a few things to think about. Please understand that this is designed to help you think about what you want, and whether you REALLY want it, because once you start, it is REALLY difficult to back out and even come close to breaking even.
    Very respectfully,
    Jonathan Butler
    "Chief Mechanic", Hopefully soon to be "Pilot-in-Command"
    C-FTMB, Air Canada DC-9-32 Restoration Project.

Re: Would like to buy a home made flight simulator..any for sale??? Pls help!!!!

Hey.I checked out "Classified" section yesterday and there was a A320 simulator for sale.Everything included except enterior...just place a bid and cross your fingers

/lenne
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

300+ Forum Addict

If you're in Illinois (Il) and I am in WI, then take a look at mine for sale in the classifieds...

http://www.mycockpit.org/mcpclass/fo...r-sale-21.html

BSD