3x HDTV ? problem cockpit build
I am building a cockpit full scale 1:1 2 persons. Now I have 3x 27" monitor on triplehead2go but because I have a iron construction for the overhead panel i cannot see about 8" of the middle monitor because it blocks my view....no runway....too bad. Looking for a good solution for that. 3x projectors are not option because of space and construction problems.
1) would 3x hdtv work on Matrox triplehead to go on 3x 1920x1080 ?
2) will there be any difference in quality compared to a monitor ?
3) What size and number of screen would be suitable ? 3x 37" 3x 43" 3x 55" I will be sitting with my eyes about 3feet(1meter) away from the screens. (2 person cockpit, so each person will see:
3 screen: captain left of middle screen fo: right of middle screen runway: middle of middle screen.
2 screen: captain middle of left screen fo: middle of right screen runway: big in middle (more big then with 3x 27" because everything will become bigger)
4) will 2x 55" be better then 3x 37" ? because of reality feeling ? (3x 55" wont fit...)
5) I know for nvidia surround or 3d vision surround gaming I need two GTX580. If I am correct there are still problems with nvidia surround and FSX?
6) 3D will possible not really work satisfactory : with 2 or 3 screens (different angles, and a captain and f/o both with glasses right ? I think I have to forget about that....too much possible issues. agree? Also 1080P x 3 D will be big issue because you need 120Hz and special checkboard mode on tv.
7) any other advise ? will try to post some pics tommorow
Thanks for thinking with me...
75+ Posting Member
Re: 3x HDTV ? problem cockpit build
We had here 3xlcd tv (47" @ 1920x1080 on ATI eyefinity 5870) before went to curved screen + projectors with no problem at all.
TVs vs monitor its an all time quiz. They're basically the same, but some good LCD computers monitor (not the cheapers) have more profile color (the percentage of the RGB or ADOBE RGB or PROPHOTO they can show) and better response time. But this is only true with HIGH END monitors, and is almost useless while in games (if the tv have a decent response time).
The size is... the bigger the better of course the hidden-runaway its a common problem for those with the center pillar. You can a) remove the pilar (hard to do if its iron constructed) or b) sligly move the view to the captain's side (not to realistic, but you have no other options!). The hidden runaway its less noticiable if you can move your tv's far away from the dashboard (for this, its why bigger its better here)
Never 2 will be better than three. With two, your visuals make a strange effect, and the runaway will be always hide in the middle wherever you move your display. Different sizes for each are not good option, this make you visual with different sizes if you keep the resolution or different in pixel display if you change the resolution to keep the image size.
I dont know problems with nvidia surround in FSX with latest drivers.
3D its something I will not go for on a cockpit enviroment, but that just my think.
Try to fit the screen on a place where you cannot see the lower bezel (lower the screen behind the dashboard) this makes the horizont eye-leveled and its great to move your head a little and still viewing whats going on down there...
Re: 3x HDTV ? problem cockpit build
Did the Eyefinity work without problems ? No out of memory errors ? Nvidia seems to get about 30% more fps in general.
My Current 47" tv is not recognized on Matrox TH2GO. Without TH2GO it is recognized correctly. It must have something to do with Hz. Dont like what you wrote about my options ..... 3 screens is a bit too much space with big HDTV's.... (girlfriend also needs space...)
Will have to investigate today what my options are....