Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Circuit Breaker Simulation

Do you guys know what the specific font is that are used on the cessna breakers?

I am going to print some up.

150+ Forum Groupie

Depends of breakers manufacturer. Arial is a choice.

150+ Forum Groupie

Just a quick note on tripping breakers and high currents....

As I understand it, the "big sims" just use all 1/2 amp CBs with different labeling on them to match the real aircraft. This keeps currents low. It also should not be hard to run the CBs to inputs and still throw whatever current you need to them so that they trip. I'll probably have to use a lot of original (big) CBs in my Sabreliner, but if I can find a bunch of 1/2 or 1 amp CBs, I may try to use those, and take the button heads off my originals.

Matt

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Remember that these circuit breakers sniff for current, not voltage. So you can run them from the lowest voltage in your system that delivers the required (over-)current. Think of the 3.3 volts of the PC power supply and a 5 Ohms resistor in series to the C/B. When the relay closes, the current will be 3.3volts/5Ohms = 0.66amperes. That's nothing to the 3.3 volts power supply rail, but the C/B, rated for 0.5, will pop soon. For faster response, use a 1ohms resistor...

For feedback, put in parallel to the load resistor an optocoupler's LED and a 100 ohms in series. As long the C/B did not pop, the 3.3 volts are present and 20mA will go through the LED.

If the 3.3 volts power and your logic share the ground, simply use the 100 ohms resistor to feed the voltage into the (TTL) logic input. It will read "low" as long the C/B did not pop and "high" as soon it did.

150+ Forum Groupie Atomic_Sheep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crossaint View Post
    Remember that these circuit breakers sniff for current, not voltage. So you can run them from the lowest voltage in your system that delivers the required (over-)current. Think of the 3.3 volts of the PC power supply and a 5 Ohms resistor in series to the C/B. When the relay closes, the current will be 3.3volts/5Ohms = 0.66amperes. That's nothing to the 3.3 volts power supply rail, but the C/B, rated for 0.5, will pop soon. For faster response, use a 1ohms resistor...

For feedback, put in parallel to the load resistor an optocoupler's LED and a 100 ohms in series. As long the C/B did not pop, the 3.3 volts are present and 20mA will go through the LED.

If the 3.3 volts power and your logic share the ground, simply use the 100 ohms resistor to feed the voltage into the (TTL) logic input. It will read "low" as long the C/B did not pop and "high" as soon it did.
    I read that they pop worth overvoltage also.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Sheep View Post
    I read that they pop worth overvoltage also.
    No, they can't even sense the voltage. They pop if due to overvoltage the current gets too high.

300+ Forum Addict

Hey Guys,

This seems too be a popular subject lately...I posted over on www.cockpitbuilders.com about how the flight simulation community needs to come together and thereby, making CB's usage possible. A few folks have shown some examples and I believe some of you here have posted there already. For those who haven't go checkout the link below; I posted a few pics of how to make the CB's on/off detection by using a micro switch...

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/commu...;topicseen#new

John

I am using a even less mechanical challenging method. I use a normal push button - those that you get as radio button assembly - and remove the latch The APLS version has a nice 1mm hole in the push rod, so I don't need to drill it myself (which I could). I use a wire to couple it to a solenoid that got a small supermagnet (4x1mm) glued to the core. This magnet holds the button in the depressed position; CB on.
    If I apply current to the solenoid in the right direction, it works AGAINST the magnet, and the spring of the push button switch pulls via the wire the core out of the solenoid. CB triggered. I have two contact sets available per button to sense the position and switch something else.
    Diameter of the button is close to original, same is travel. I only need to make the collar and knurled nut (which I can).

Regarding the font on the caps of the Cessna CBs, which are special versions made by Mechanical Products Company (mechprod.com):
    It's not Arial. look for Helvetica or similar. Although it is not really relevant as there a different fonts used (I have some pictures where even on the same CB panel three fonts are used.)

150+ Forum Groupie Atomic_Sheep's Avatar

Didn't include my source in my last post, this is where I read it: https://www.caa.govt.nz/Publications...-6_Nov-Dec.pdf

Just search "over-voltage"

I guess it's wrong then.

Well maybe not wrong... just referring to the thing you said:

Quote Originally Posted by crossaint View Post
    No, they can't even sense the voltage. They pop if due to overvoltage the current gets too high.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast