10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

HD 6870 Eyefinity Help!

Hi all.

I have been trawling the internet all eve for this problem, and I hope that someone on here has the information I am after.

I have just purchased a HD6870 to run 3 Projectors in Eyefinity for the Key737 Project.

The outputs on the back of the card are as follows:

DVI
    DVI
    HDMI
    DisplayPort

and the 3 Projectors I have, have the following inputs:

Projector 1 - DVI
    Projector 2 - VGA
    Projector 3 - VGA

I bought a Active DP to DVI adapter in the hope to acheive the setup by using:

DP to DVI - Projector 1
    DVI to VGA Adapter - Projector 2
    DVI to VGA Adapter - Projector 3

but only 2 monitors would work, and if I understand correctly, it is because I am using 2 x DVI to vga adapter, where it only supports up to 1.

I am therefore trying the new approach of sending my DP to DVI Active adapter back, and getting an Active DP to VGA and using in the following configuration:

DP to VGA - Projector 2
    DVI to DVI - Projector 1
    DVI to VGA Adapter. Projector 3

Would anyone be able to tell me if this would work, to allow me to use 3 projectors in eyefinity? As I don't fancy having to keep buying adapters if they do not work.

I hope this explanation makes sense!

Many Thanks!

Rich
    Key737

Re: HD 6870 Eyefinity Help!

Hi!, I never heard the limitation of just 1 DVI to VGA adapters.

The most common problem here is the DP to DVI. Many brands sells them as active, while they are not, at least not as active as ATI AMD wants!.

In the "old times" with my 5870, I have the same problem untill I find the right dongle (which was one from VGA builder SAPPHIRE). Dont think the adapter its ok if it works while not in eyefinity mode (grouped) because the needs of active capabilities its only at eyefinity is enabled.
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

10+ Posting Member

Aaron

Many thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

The DP to DVI adapter I have is an XFX one, with the ATI certified Logo on the box, and also on the adapter itself, is the word "Active'. The dongle itself, I have tested, and when attached to a DVI monitor, it works in eyefinity.

After much searching about, I have narrowed it down to the following problem:

The 6870 has two types of DVI (My fault for not understanding the difference). 1 is a DVI-D and 1 is DVI-I, and from what I understand, only one is capable of outputting both Digital and ANalogue signals, whereas the other one will only output Digital, so even if I use a DVI to VGA adapter on both, only 1 will output a signal to the projector.

So I am going to switch to using:

DP to VGA
    DVI to DVI
    DVI to VGA

And that should enable all 3 monitors to work!

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hi!, I never heard the limitation of just 1 DVI to VGA adapters.

The most common problem here is the DP to DVI. Many brands sells them as active, while they are not, at least not as active as ATI AMD wants!.

In the "old times" with my 5870, I have the same problem untill I find the right dongle (which was one from VGA builder SAPPHIRE). Dont think the adapter its ok if it works while not in eyefinity mode (grouped) because the needs of active capabilities its only at eyefinity is enabled.

Hi again,

Of course, you cannot use a DVI to VGA adapter if the DVI output its DVI-D.

The DVI its the generic standar for the conector. But there are many types of DVI as the signal can be digital, analog or both. DVI-I its the most common and send trough the conector digital and analogic signal (so you can attach the DVI to VGA adapter) but the DVI-D its only digital, so you cannot use the DVI-VGA adapter (at least not the standar cheap dongle), so your reffered configuration should work!
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com