Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hello Guy's Just starting out.

Hi Guy's
    I have just aquired a room after the kids have moved out, In which I would like to build a near enough B739 Cockpit.
    At this time I have not got the skills to build a fully functional cocpit, So would just like to make it look like the 739 cockpit, The over head pannel, Which at this stage dose not need to work just look good.
    Then move on to the other pannels.
    If you have any plans would be a great help.
    So if you could help me to aquire the swiches etc that would be great.
    Also any basic wireing tips and advice.

Hope to here from you soon Chris

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Hello Guy's Just starting out.

Hi Chris,
    Cockpit building can be very addictive and very costly but it is a great hobby to be invovled with. Firstly what hardware do you have at the minute?
    I am not an expert but there are many helpful people here who will guide you.
    Switches etc can be got from Rapid Electronics here in the UK and also there is "ebay" where you can find switches etc at very low cost.
    PM me if you have any particular requests and I will try to help.
    Bill
    Bill
    P3D/ IFly737 Pro

Hi,
    Welcome to the dark side.......
    Firstly, read every thread on here before you spend any money - seriously - you learn so much.
    When I first stared I didn't have a clue (hence the name).
    You will learn so much with this hobby, from woodworking to electronics to networks etc... The only downside is it cost a friggin' fortune if you want a half decent rig.
    I started to build my MIP myself but as I am a perfectionist I was never going to be happy with it. So I scoured ebay and bought a load of kit, this was after many months of research and a basic understanding of what I needed.
    I am now in the process of putting it all together in my garage in my "real plane"... It has taken me a year to get to this stage and I will probaby never finish, always something else to add.
    Another thing - don't be put off by the other pits you will see. They are outstanding, some of them have been working on them for years and it is quite easy to look at them and then at your single monitor and joystick for a controller and cry.
    So research, research, research..... It does all seem to come together in your head after a while.
    Allan.
    P.S. I still can't solder for crapppp. It looks like the Tin Man has sneezed on some wires.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by notgotaclue View Post
    Hi,
    Welcome to the dark side.......
    Firstly, read every thread on here before you spend any money - seriously - you learn so much.
    When I first stared I didn't have a clue (hence the name).
    You will learn so much with this hobby, from woodworking to electronics to networks etc... The only downside is it cost a friggin' fortune if you want a half decent rig.
    I started to build my MIP myself but as I am a perfectionist I was never going to be happy with it. So I scoured ebay and bought a load of kit, this was after many months of research and a basic understanding of what I needed.
    I am now in the process of putting it all together in my garage in my "real plane"... It has taken me a year to get to this stage and I will probaby never finish, always something else to add.
    Another thing - don't be put off by the other pits you will see. They are outstanding, some of them have been working on them for years and it is quite easy to look at them and then at your single monitor and joystick for a controller and cry.
    So research, research, research..... It does all seem to come together in your head after a while.
    Allan.
    P.S. I still can't solder for crapppp. It looks like the Tin Man has sneezed on some wires.
    Good advice Allan. Bet I am worse at soldering than you are!! At the moment I am sporting a beautiful burn caused by a stupid soldering iron!! BUT I discovered heat shrink and now all my soldering mess is covered up with lovely multi coloured heatshrink.
    Now I am about to delve into networking - very exciting - (bet I'll end up geting a computer expert in).
    Welcome to the madness Chris and compulsory reading for you is Ian Sisson's site (google it). He is THE MASTER and one of the kindest and most helpful guys you will come across.
    Bill
    Bill
    P3D/ IFly737 Pro

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Hi Chris

Welcome to the Forum, and all advice given so far seems to be sound. Notice you live in Harrogate, that's up North i'm over on the North east coast so not too far away. Nevertheless you will find all the help you need here i'm sure!

Good luck with the build, and if you get chance along the way photos are great.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

25+ Posting Member

Hi Chris
    Welcome from another Tyke, I'm a bit further North in the Leyburn area of God's Own County.
    Most important thing in my book is to keep it flyable during the process. There's nothing worse than a room full of bits that you can't fly. I settled for a generic pit that suits all sorts of planes, with interchangeable facias for GA or Heavies, as I coudn't see myself wanting to fly only one. Too much like a kid in sweet shop!

Regards

Den

Thanks for your replies Guy's
    The System I am running is a (I Extreme 5850 ,Intel core i7-2600 processor 6GB RAM 1t Hard drive). The graphics Card is a Radeon 5750
    Which I will be up grading shortly.
    I have read a few of the threads you suggested, I will continue to read.
    Do you know where I can get some plans for basic layouts for the B739 ?
    At this stage I would just like to make the room look like a B739 flight Deck With some reallistic pannels (Over head, Auto Pilot, and the main pannel) With Switches Which light up.

I know I dont' want much LOL !! But where do I start.

Chris