Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Opencockpits Encoder 2 card

Hi,

I have been trying to get an encoder to work with an Opencockpits encoder 2 card. I cannot connect the encoder directly to the master card as it is a full cycle type.

I have connected the encoder to the encoder two card, following the wiring diagram. I have connected the output from the encoder card to two consecutive inputs and ground in the same group of ten on the master card. I have provided a 5V supply to the encoder card although I am not convinced this is needed.

When running the contolador programme the encoder is not detected at all. Now I feel I am missing the obvious here but have tried for a couple of hours to get this to work.

I am certain the conenctions have been made correctly on the encoder card and the correct inputs have been used on the master card.

I have two encoder cards and have tried both, so unless they are both faulty I am not suspecting a duff card.

Any help or suggestions will be very gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Dave

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Opencockpits Encoder 2 card

Hi Dave,
    I tested one of these cards out for someone using a variety of encoders but could not get reliable operation.
    The docs dont say what type these can handle. Looking at the layout it appears to me to be an interface
    for a Gray optical encoder. Maybe someone else has had luck. Although if i remember rightly i have read
    other may have had trouble also.
    Sorry i couldnt be of any more help.
    Les
    P.S se this link.

http://www.hoddo.net/ocboard.html#encoder

25+ Posting Member

Hi Les,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

According to my reserach the card should work with full cycle (1:1) Gray type encoders, which i what I have.

I have read about a PIC code, I assume the card comes with this code as it looks like a technical nightmare to flash the chip (or whatever the correct term is). Accrdomg to Opencockpits, built cards come ready to work.

The thing I find odd is that there is nothing at all shown in the Controlador window when I turn the encoder.

Thanks for the link. I think OC must have changed their design as the card shown in the diagram is not the same as mine.

Anyway, I'll spend some more time on it today.

Thanks again.

Dave

25+ Posting Member

Dave,

When I first tried my encoders card it wouldn't work, the solution in my case was to reduce the refresh time in controlador.ini

I hope have success soon, good luck,

Peter.

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Dave
    what encoder are you using?( I assume you are using the USB expansion)
    Start with basics--- 5volt supply to master card and encoder card?
    Run SIOC and see if your USB expansion card comes up with an address e.g IDX=*-IOCARDUSB-device =XX where xx is the address of your USB expansion cards. If no address plug in a different USB port don't use unpowered USB hubs.
    Programming the PIC is reallly easy and costs about £10 for a PIC programmer from ebay, the software is free, I've reprogrammed mine to use Elma E37 dual encoders and they work a treat.
    regards
    geoff

25+ Posting Member

hi Peter & Geoff,

Thanks for your replies.

I am using the USB expansion card with 5V supply. The encoders are gray type 1:1 from Sure electronics. They have 20 detents.

I will try altering the refresh rate, thanks for the tip.

I will also check the IDX= address, again thanks for the tip.

Glad to hear programming the PIC is easy. I am assuming that the encoder card must be supplied with a PIC code already?

I've done my chores so am just off to have another go at solving the problem.

Fingers crossed.

Dave

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Dave
    don't forget the 5v to the encoders card.
    Yes the assembled encoder card comes with the PIC programmed but not sure about the kit form though. If you need it I can re-programme your PIC for the software that accepts the ELMA E37 encoders, just post it to me with SAE, I 'm in South Wales.
    regards
    geoff

25+ Posting Member

Hi Geoff,

I have checked the IBX address and that looks good to me.

I have just tried another type of encoder and again nothing.

The card does have a 5V supply to it.

I have other switches working off the master card so I don't think there is a problem there.

Thanks for the offer of flashing the cards for me, I might well take you up on that, but first I feel I should elliminat all other possible issues. It just seems odd to me that neither encoder works and that there is no response at all form controlador.

I tried lowering the refresh rate as Peter suggested, again no change.

I'll double check the 5V supply is okay other than that I'm running out of things to try!

Thanks again

Dave

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Dave
    check that if you are using only 1 master card it is plugged into J1 on the USB expansion card. Next master card goes to J2 etc.Then check the connection from J2 or J3 of the master card, pins 1-9 are input with the common ground on pin 10. this ground should go to pin 9 on the encoders card. the encoder connections are 1-phase A, 2-GND, 3-phase B, 4-not used
    regards
    geoff

25+ Posting Member

Hi Geoff,

Okay, I'm stumped!

I have tried your suggestions plus I have altered the connections and used number four encoder position on the encoder card instead of number one, I have tried a different encoder, I have checked (with a meter) continuity of connections via the ribbon cable, the 5V supply is exactly 5V and does not fluctuate and used your advice, all to no avail.

In your latest post you mention ensuring that I have used J2 & J3 for inputs 'into' the master card, I stand to be corrected but I think the inputs are J3 & J4, J2 is general output and J1 is the output to the display card. If you are correct and I am not, it might explain the problem however, I am pretty sure I am correct.

I do have other inputs into the same ribbon cable and they work perfectly.

I also have a servo card and two display cards. I hope these are not as frustrating to set up, I might just pack up and go home!!

I do appreciate you trying to help, you have given me some items to check and knock off the possible problem list which is very useful.

Thanks

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast