Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Open Cockpit Overhead Gauges

Does anyone use these in their overhead?, If so how did you backlight them and was it easy to set the gauges up? I noticed in their ad that there didn't appear to be any pexiglass in front of the gauge, was I right? Any info would be helpful. Thanking you in advance Dave

Re: Open Cockpit Overhead Gauges

Hi, I got the Autobrake Panel with the flap gauge (the diy version) and there was no Plexi faceplate included - I emailed them and they answered once but didn't answer again - I'll try one more mail on monday I thought they had good support....

150+ Forum Groupie

I also got the Autobrake Flap Gauge from Open Cockpits. No plexi front plate was included.
    Bill
    Bill
    P3D/ IFly737 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by davemckee View Post
    Does anyone use these in their overhead?, If so how did you backlight them and was it easy to set the gauges up? I noticed in their ad that there didn't appear to be any pexiglass in front of the gauge, was I right? Any info would be helpful. Thanking you in advance Dave
    Hi Dave,

I have the full set of overhead gauges from opencockpits. We backlited them using the same led from the entire overhead, no the best but the easiest. If you want to light them with different color than the rest of the overhead, you should make a little box for the gauge and light it.

Ir order to make it work, is far away from being plug and play. You need two USB-Servo card (six servos every one, the overhead has six gauges, but booth of them have two needles). The servo cards need 5v to work, so you must get the cables from the computer power supply or something like this and conect it to the card (with no molex connector, just two pins). And them, the software.

Im and IT pro, and even for myself was little annoying to make them working as expected. You need to download and install SIOC, and write the scripts for everyone. You have all the information in the website, not always very friendly to find, but you need work on it. You should be prepare for program in an scripting language, even if someone (I can send you my scripts) send you the scripts, you need to modify them to fix them to your systems (servos numbers, number of the card, servos slope, values you get, starts and ends of servos, etc...)

In the pros section, the sioc is very stable software. If you have the skills, you can do anything you want to. And them work as expected always. And not to forget, they are very much cheaper than other!
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

300+ Forum Addict

Aaron,

You've probably figured out by now the OC gauges do not come with the faceplate rings and the plexiglas. You do get these items if you order the OC Overhead complete. I do have the gauges installed in the FDS Overhead, and thanks to Peter and Steve at FDS, they included the rings and plexiglas with the FDS Overhead...

However, what I did was use computer card stand-offs (like those used under a motherboard in a PC), and then drill holes through everything, like a sandwich. Place each sandwich in its respectful place and using LEDs with tape, plus pc component board blanks, I made a box around them to light each gauge (sandwich) up.

Sadly, they're not working yet because I had a defective USB Servo Card at first. Have two cards now, but need time to remove the Overhead and install the cards...no easy task! As for SIOC, so many say "It's easy" it is if you speed a good time learning it. Truthfully, I wish I would've went with Simkits; I have a Simkits flap gauge and it is plug-n-play all the way.

Finally, have you written the SIOC codes for the remaining two gauges, since there is only four to be known working with SIOC. I'd like to get your codes for all six. Will you please send them to me?

Thank you,

BSD

500+ This must be a daytime job Nick1150's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrmaster View Post
    .... I thought they had good support....
    yeah right !!!!

I am still missing two buttons and the v/s wheel came used ?!?!!!!!!!!!!! It had spots with old glue on it... but the panels are very good and perfect for what I need... I am unsure if I'll order their panels again - I probably get the same support at poldragonet and they're ought to be better quality..... and much cheaper

75+ Posting Member

I haven't purchased the OC overhead gauges yet, and after what I've just read I won't. I'll go with FI...alot more money but all my intruments on the M.I.P. , and they do make an excellent product. Thanks Guys Dave

150+ Forum Groupie

Dave
    I sent you a PM a couple of days ago.Did you get it?
    Bill
    Bill
    P3D/ IFly737 Pro

75+ Posting Member

Sent today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast