500+ This must be a daytime job Nick1150's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing 737 cockpit shell alternatives ?

My next step is to enclose my project and feel the immersion you all guys have advertsised so much in the past...

I want to be honest here... I am not good enough to build it my self. I know that the only way is to buy, in order to go to the next stage.

Something I would like though is to have the ability to have interior liners together with the shell, and to be able to bring all to pieces because my sim is in the top floor of my place.

I know all above show FDS as the best choise for me, but is there any other alternative except FDS ?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Boeing 737 cockpit shell alternatives ?

When I enclose my cockpit, I won't pay attention to the shell but only the interior. The outside can be a square box, quite like the professional sims. A realistic shell looks cool though, but you won't see it when you fly.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

I double that Goldmember. The FDS shell is also very "squery/edgy" and you rely on interior to get the cockpitfeel.
    Cockpitsonic also got a shell, but the proportions is way out and looks more like an older DC model rather then a 737. This comes very clear when you sit in the cockpit and look through the way to big windows and can enter the chairs from the outer side even though the interior looks 737'ish.

The problem with polyester is that it shrinks about 2% when it comes out the mold. On 2m, that's 4 cm. This makes it hard to align the parts nicely. And still, the shell has to be supported by a wooden or steel structure otherwise it's wobbly.

I'm thinking of making the shell out of 4-6 foam blocks, sculpt the interior and then add a layer of polyester all around. With a little luck this is a self supporting structure which can carry the overhead. But we'll have to experiment with that.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

Hi Nick,

this might be an (expensive) alternative: http://northernflightsim.com/shell.shtml

Cheers
    Chris

10+ Posting Member

are there any plastic interior parts available? I like to make an outside wooden box with 7x 27" screens but would like to have some window plastic prefab window covers etc to fit....

Are those things sold anywhere ?

Yes but be prepared it's expensive (EUR 3500 or so). Google on "737 sim interior trim".
    Arjen
    -----