25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

30" v's multiple monitors pros and cons

I bought the following system over a year ago and never used it, well just a few times I guess. Now I want to flight simagain primarily for IFR training . I have the one 23" Acer 3D monitor and I'm thinking about going with two or three
    but have been told to stick with one 27 or 30 Dell instead.

Whatayathink?

Here is what I have:

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Heatsink
    Coolermaster HAF 922 Case
    Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz 1366
    EVGA X58 SLI LGA1366 mobo
    G.Skill F3- DDR3 1600 3x2GB ram
    Corsair TX850 Power Supply
    WD Caviar Black 500GB HDD
    Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE 24X DVD
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    2 x Yate Loon 120mm fans
    1- GTX285 video card
    1-Acer 24" 3D 120HZ monitor
    Nvidia 3D with glasses
    TrackIR Pro System

Re: 30" v's multiple monitors pros and cons

Dont know what are you really asking, but mixing different monitor sizes for visuals its not recomended.

If you use th2go or surround/eyefinity, all monitors needs to be at the same resolution, so you will have non-correlativ objects between monitors.

If you want IFR training, cant imagine puting and quiting your 3D glasses everytime you need to read the sid, stars, etc.
    And yes, your PC its powerfull enough for running the simulator efficiently (best if you try to OC the CPU till 3.6-4.0)
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Dont know what are you really asking, but mixing different monitor sizes for visuals its not recomended.

If you use th2go or surround/eyefinity, all monitors needs to be at the same resolution, so you will have non-correlativ objects between monitors.

If you want IFR training, cant imagine puting and quiting your 3D glasses everytime you need to read the sid, stars, etc.
    And yes, your PC its powerfull enough for running the simulator efficiently (best if you try to OC the CPU till 3.6-4.0)
    I currently have one 24" 3D monitor and was debating adding a second, maybe third identical monitor, or just use one only 30" center monitor only. I certainly was originally focused on 3D but now I'm considering all options including multiple monitor 3D v's non 3D v's one large screen etc.
    I have to agree that 3D glasses for flight sim is a nuisance even though it does add some cool realism . If I go with one large monitor the one GTX285 card I have will work. For more monitors I will need to add another card and right
    now I can get a second, identical one, pretty cheap. I'm not up on all the technologies so I'm trying to learn enough
    to make an informed decision. Is th2go/eyefinity only available using a certain graphics card or is that just the software? I have the Nvidia 3D package with the shutter glasses , GTX285 card and the supporting 3D 24" monitor now. I don't want to deviate too much at this point because it will simply cost more that I am prepared to spend.
    I need a new EFIS for my current "real" airplane and the budget can only go so far.

Hi,
    Triple monitor set-up all the way.
    I use eyefinity with 3 x 24" monitors - no way would go back to a single monitor set-up.
    I am going to use 3 X 50" tv's when I have finished building my pit....
    That is the problem with this hobby - you are never satisfied.
    A few years ago I would have traded my left testicle for the set-up I now have, but I had to go one step further and bought a nose section off a business jet and wedged a 737 cockpit into it. It works surpisingly well. I am still a few months from first flight but I am forever browsing Ebay looking for "things".
    Anyhooooo I digress...
    In answer to your question 3 monitors as big as you can afford, ditch the 3d (i have never used it but even the thought of it gives me a headache) and use either a TH2GO or Eyefinity.
    I also highly recommend Prosim737 if you are building a 737 - it is going to be 300 euro for the complete system from next month, but considering what I have spent already it is well worth it to get a superb 737 system.
    Job done.
    Allan

Eyefinity, its the name of the ATi multimonitor solution: Three monitors attached to just one VGA card. Requires an ATi compatible card and latest drivers

Nvidia Surround its the name of the nVidia multimonitor solution. Three monitors attached to TWO VGA cards. Requires a powerfull powersupply to allow a SLI configuration (2x nVidia Cards).

Matrox Triple Head 2 Go its a hardware device, like a little box. You just conect the box to the VGA computer output, and put the three monitors to the box. The computer recognize the devices as just one ultra-wide monitor (its transparent for the S.O., games, apps...)

The benefit of the Th2go its that you can use them always, in "any" computer, in "any" VGA, etc.
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Eyefinity, its the name of the ATi multimonitor solution: Three monitors attached to just one VGA card. Requires an ATi compatible card and latest drivers

Nvidia Surround its the name of the nVidia multimonitor solution. Three monitors attached to TWO VGA cards. Requires a powerfull powersupply to allow a SLI configuration (2x nVidia Cards).

Matrox Triple Head 2 Go its a hardware device, like a little box. You just conect the box to the VGA computer output, and put the three monitors to the box. The computer recognize the devices as just one ultra-wide monitor (its transparent for the S.O., games, apps...)

The benefit of the Th2go its that you can use them always, in "any" computer, in "any" VGA, etc.
    I vaguely remember most of what you just explained as I went through those options when I considered the same on the last system purchase. With th2go I believe the image quality suffers( stretched across all screens) whereas the other options retain the picture quality though these options are more costly, require identical monitors to work and are more temperamental to run .
    Two options I am now going to consider are:

1) consider a super large 32"( largest I can use in this location) TV and a seperate small screen for instruments for undocking the instruments in Flightsim.

2) get another 2- 24" monitors for a total of 3 , pick up a second video card to run SLI . My question though is
    can I run the center monitor only ocassionally in3D as necessary for gaming and then all three using Eyefinity or
    th2go for other gaming non 3D. If not I will just buy another 2 identical 3D monitors and run that way. Honestly
    though,I think non 3D may be the way to go and all I would need is th2go and another two same size monitors
    that are super cheap right now.