25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Need Some suggestions to boost FPS a little

Greeting to fellow simmers ... I need some help to get my FPS per second increased a bit ..

Everything is working great and I have a 180deg undocked vew setup on my 3 24" monitors.. Most of the scenery the FPS are over 30fps but in about 2 places it's goes down to about 9 to 12 fps. I noticed that those frame drops were usinf blue print scenery.

I just like some suggestions to bring that 9 to 12 fps up to about 15fps.. Cause at 15fps I still have a very nice visuals and no stutters.. One it goes below 15 I see quiet a bit of stutters..

I will list all the hardware I have but I prefer to tweak this computer than rather buying another computer and using wideview to spread out the load.

Although I just need my FPS to be boosted up by 5 to 6fps more, I would like to know some suggestions as to how to get about that much fps..

Now, I have done a lot of tweaking on my system to get it to run that smooth using 3 monitors and having a 180 deg view (Left window, Center Windows and Right Window). Like I said, most of the places I have fPS over 30 either in the air or on the ground and Day or night settings.

my system.
    Intel I7-920 D0 over clocked to 4.0 with ASUS P6T MB
    Corsair H50 liquid cooler (cpu temp with fsx running is 50c to 68c using real temp)
    G Skill 1600MHZ 6GB RAM CL6-8-6-24 Tri channel RAM.
    128GB OCZ SSD for Windows 7 64bt and FSX + Accel using AHCI mode
    500GB 7200 drive for misc stuff (like my avionics prosim etc programs)
    Sceneries:
    Blue Print -- Toronto CYYZ, CYUL Montreal and KMCO Florida.
    US Cities Buffalo BUF
    Latinvfr MKJS MONTEGO BAY
    FSDream JFK Kennedy
    Rex 2.0
    GEX North America

Only when I'm flying to the Blue Print scnery distination the FPS drops to about 10 fps or so. Even JFK, the FPS are ok and around 16 to 17 .. JFK scenery is pretty heavy and I always though my fps would shoot down to 5 or so but no. Blue Print scenery on the other hand is a cheap payware. So, does that mean, cheap payware crappy FPS.

My Sliders are all maxed out and I would like to keep it that way cuse everything looks good when in the air or on the gound. I did tr to play about with the sliders but was not happy with the visuals on gound and in the air ..

My suggestion was maybe if I upgrade my system to the I7 2600K and overclock the cpu to 5.0, will that give me that extra 5 to 6 FPS boost without thouching any setting and without buying another computer and running videview or buy more fast ram timings or faster SSD drive or ?????????

Please need some help to boost that little FPS that I need to make these sceneries run smooth without any stutter...

thanks and hope someone can suggest some thing to achive what I looking for ..
    A/C

Re: Need Some suggestions to boost FPS a little

you said that you have done lots of tweaking but didn't mention what those tweaks were. Have you tried this cfg tweaking tool for FSX?

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

300+ Forum Addict

You need to make sure GEX lighting is reduced or is it UTX? Anyway, another method is using the Disk Defragmention program for FSX and set itbup for FSX to be on the outer rings.

What setups of REX are using and the values for scenery? Are they 4096 or lower, try lower in REX. Also, what weather engine is being used REX, FSX or something else?

Did you setup the tweaks for the multicore? And, don't do every tweak out there...some are old and not good for I7's. Will I7 2600k help? YES! I have it and make sure you get the "k" version for OC'ing. It did increase the fps by double at the BluePrint KMSP, getting 16-20fps, with a lot more than what is on your list.

BSD

You forgot to mention one of the most important thing... the VGA!

I have 3x2600K @ 4.2 (with GTX 570) for my wideview setup (plus one I7 930 as server) and the frame rate its ok (locked at 61). After make this I try to get work 3 undocked views in just one PC... no go. Bad weather+final approach+heavy sceneario -> low fps or medium to heavy stutters.

Raising the FPS its easy, taking away from stutters its the hardest thing!
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Air Canada View Post
    I noticed that those frame drops were usinf blue print scenery.

Like I said, most of the places I have fPS over 30 either in the air or on the ground and Day or night settings.
    I would not mess about with my settings if I were getting FPS of over 30 and it is only with Blue Print Scenery that you have a problem.
    Ditch that scenery and get something else - there is plenty about.
    I wouldn't take the chance of messing up my perfectly good system when it is obviously Blue Print that is the problem with your system.
    Allan.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    you said that you have done lots of tweaking but didn't mention what those tweaks were. Have you tried this cfg tweaking tool for FSX?

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html
    hi and thanks all for your replies .. will try all the suggestions and see if I get any increase in FPS if not then wideview would be my last choice with another computer ..

Shawn, I tried NickN's tweaks, Jesus Bojote tweaks and also the cfg tweaking tool that you mentions .. That is why amaybe my system is running much much more better than last year as I couldn't even go to a single undock view with frames per sec dropping down to like 5. . . but these tweaks did help and of course with a lot of trial and error too and time also ..

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by blueskydriver View Post
    You need to make sure GEX lighting is reduced or is it UTX? Anyway, another method is using the Disk Defragmention program for FSX and set itbup for FSX to be on the outer rings.

What setups of REX are using and the values for scenery? Are they 4096 or lower, try lower in REX. Also, what weather engine is being used REX, FSX or something else?

Did you setup the tweaks for the multicore? And, don't do every tweak out there...some are old and not good for I7's. Will I7 2600k help? YES! I have it and make sure you get the "k" version for OC'ing. It did increase the fps by double at the BluePrint KMSP, getting 16-20fps, with a lot more than what is on your list.

BSD
    BSD, I am not sure about the lighting setting in GEX as I just used the default setting when installing and didn't do any custom setting in GEX .. I don't have UTX and didn't think I would need it since I have GEX.

As for REX, I am using the 4096 settings. Also I prefer not to touch any settings cause the rest of the scenery are fine, I will try to lower that setting in REX and see the out come.. Worse comes to worse I can also bring it back up to 4096 if I don't like the visuals ..

For Multicore Tweak ... Don't know what that is unless you mean if I put the [JOBSCHEDULER]
    AffinityMask=14 then that's all I know about Multicore.
    On the interesting side, I did open the TASK MANAGER and under the PERFORMANCE Tab I noticed the graph on core 1,2,3 very high and core 0 the graph was very low. I took a screen shot and will post it here. Not sure if that makes any difference that 3 f my core are running at almost full load but core 0 is maybe at 20% load.

but if I need to setup some programs to run on different cores to spread the out the load on the cores, please do tell me what I need to do ..
    A/C

O.. forgot to ask about the defrag thing.. I'm using Solid State Drive. So, do I still need to defrag the drive cause I though SSD are not mechanical drive thus the inner or outter layer reading doesn't matter. It's a flash drive so it reads any sector of the drive with the same speed.
    Now my drive is 112GB after formatting and I have about 12GB left.. Could that be also a reason the PC will slow down because more than 85% of the drive is full ..

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    You forgot to mention one of the most important thing... the VGA!

I have 3x2600K @ 4.2 (with GTX 570) for my wideview setup (plus one I7 930 as server) and the frame rate its ok (locked at 61). After make this I try to get work 3 undocked views in just one PC... no go. Bad weather+final approach+heavy sceneario -> low fps or medium to heavy stutters.

Raising the FPS its easy, taking away from stutters its the hardest thing!
    hi.... heheheh!!!! I knew I had forgot some info but forgot to menton that I am using a Gforce GTX 480 card with TH2GO at a resolution of 3840 x 1080 . I am also using the DVI outs and not the VGA outs.

hummm... Interesting.. 3 2600K system .... wow .. So I guess then maybe 1 2600K might still not do the job then .. my I7 920 @ 4.0 seem's to be doing pretty good and I'm happy with the visuals and FPS that I'm getting on air and ground but a few airport's they drop quiet a bit and if I can manage to boost that up by 10FPS max, all my flights will be smooth .. One thing I noticed on my system is that if the FPS drops below 15, it is still flyable but not as smooth as if it was running about 18 to 20 FPS.. so that is my target to get the FPS running at min when in heavy scenery area.. 60FPS would be nice I'd be happy with 20 on heavy areas..

Now, with the default scenery, I noticed my FPS are like 40 and 50 .. I removed CCYZ (Toronto Pearson) scenery and the FPS were around more than 27 at the same gate and of course the sliders set to the same as they were with the blue print scenery ..
    The problem the default scenery for Toronto and Montreal is very bad and blue print is the only paywere that I know that has these scenery.. That's why I refer to use these sceneries rather than the default cause they make the airports look so much realistic than the default. Hopefully some tweaking and the 2600K would give me that extra boost that I need..

Don't mind sheeding out for the 2600K but don't want to buy something only to know that it didn't help too mch.. As I mentioned, if I do get the 2600K I do have to get the motherboard and ram as well cause my existing MB has a 1366 socket and Tri ch memory slots. So, can't use the MB and RAM with this new 2600K cpu .. But I will try everyone's suggestion and see if it's making any difference for me if not then I will gofor the 2600K and if that also doesn't help too much, then wideview it is ..
    A/C

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by notgotaclue View Post
    I would not mess about with my settings if I were getting FPS of over 30 and it is only with Blue Print Scenery that you have a problem.
    Ditch that scenery and get something else - there is plenty about.
    I wouldn't take the chance of messing up my perfectly good system when it is obviously Blue Print that is the problem with your system.
    Allan.
    HI Allan.. yes that was my same thought too .. but the default scenery for these 2 airport are very bad and BP's scenery is way better than the default.. I can't find any other payware that offer Toronto and Montreal scenery .. I had tried some freeware scenery for these 2 airport, but I think the default ones were better than the freeware.. And honestly, blue print's scenery is pretty close to the actualy layout of both thesse 2 airports. Too bad it's really heavy on the FPS..

Anyways, I have a backup copy of the .CFG files so I'll mess around with them and see if I can get it boosted up .. if not, will try a new cpu or wideview.
    A/C

25+ Posting Member

Greetings simmers ...

These past days I have tweaking, over clocking tweaking trying to get fsx to give me a little bit boost.. Didn't quiet succeed 100% but maybe around 40% without buying anything ..

First did mange to boot the I7 overclock to 4.2 and for some strange reason, I had to boost my Water slider to 2.x high from 1.x and also my cars slider was around 4% and moved that up to about 50% and I saw a boot in the fps a bit. Before these changes I was getting about 6fps with blue print Toronto scenery .. With the above tweak the highest I've seen it jump was I think 10.5 ..

Strange as one would think that rasing the slider would mean less frame rate but not in my case. And I'm sure jumping from 4.0 to 4.2 also won't make a big difference. but now I'm stuck at there .. I can't get anything higher than 10 in blue print..

Now here is something I noticed about my O/Cing .. I will post some pictures here and maybe someone with more technical knowledge may abale to explain me as I'm confused.

I know that when O/Cing a cpu the mem timing and speed would get effected but if I'm seeing the right #'s then maybe I need to get higher mem speeds and timing rather than changing the cpu and going in for a 2600K but then again, I may be thinking wrong .. If I have to get a new cpu and board and ram, then that is what I will go for but trying to stay away from those if I don't need to do so ..

here is the pic and I'll just tell you the spec of my mem that I had bought with my I7 920 system
    G.Skill DDR3-1600mhz CL6-8-6-20 PC3-12800 1.6v
    CPU is I7 920 D0 with Asus P6T MB

What I don't understand is CPU-Z shows Max Bandwidth: PC3-10700 (667 MHZ) and
    CAS# Latency: 9.0 Clocks ..

Does this mean that my system memory currently is tunning at 9.0 cl instead of 6 and running at 667mhz instead of 1600mhz ..

Could it be this is the reason why my FPS is very low in these or heavy scenery area and not other places. I've noticed that any default scenery I go in FSX, the frame rates are over 25fps all the time and of course I have 3 undocked views open having a 180 degrees view ..

if this is the case, could someone recommend what mem I need to get cause I need my system running at aleast 4.0ghz ..

thanks alot

A/C