Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Preview: iFly 737NG Home Cockpit Builder's Edition

Hello all,

As a beta tester for the iFly 737NG Home Cockpit Builder's Edition, I was given permission to create preview videos of the soon to be released software. More information about the software can be found at the iFly general forum for the public to read. Please enjoy this 4 part video series!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:
    Jeremy Bucholz
    FAA LAS ATCT
    Proud NATCA Member!
    Listen to us on LiveATC.net

2. Thanks vyper883, hermann2441, DHABERT thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Re: Preview: iFly 737NG Home Cockpit Builder's Edition

This could be usefull if direct interfacing is available and not through FSUIPC offsets.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by fly_ebos View Post
    This could be usefull if direct interfacing is available and not through FSUIPC offsets.
    Direct interfacing is available, iFly has provided an SDK just for that. Currently I use direct interface for my switches, MCP, and EFIS. I use the FSUIPC offsets to determine the status of the iFly lights to in turn light my MIP lights. All done using SIOC.
    Jeremy Bucholz
    FAA LAS ATCT
    Proud NATCA Member!

25+ Posting Member

Thanks for the info. Currently I'm using ProSim which is great on direct inputs.
    Overhead is FDS, interfaced directly into ProSim with PoKeys cards. Is this possible with iFly?
    Do not want to reconfigure everthing in SIOC!

How about the overhead lights? I'm using Phidgets Led64 cards.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by fly_ebos View Post
    Thanks for the info. Currently I'm using ProSim which is great on direct inputs.
    Overhead is FDS, interfaced directly into ProSim with PoKeys cards. Is this possible with iFly?
    Do not want to reconfigure everthing in SIOC!

How about the overhead lights? I'm using Phidgets Led64 cards.
    I've never used ProSim so I have no idea what the scripting is like. This is how switches are scripted for the iFly:

Var 434, name I_N1, Link IOCARD_SW, Device 9, Input 32
    {
    if &I_N1 = 1
    {
    &commands = 205
    &commands = -1
    }
    }

That is an example of a push button using the direct interface and SIOC. Every switch in the cockpit can be programmed as such. I have my MIP fully configured so I would be willing to pass my MIP script to anyone who wants it. They would just need to change their input numbers to represent their switches. I'm sure that there is someone on the team who already has their overhead programed and would be willing to share also. We're always willing to help.

As for Phidget cards, I have never used them, can they be programmed through SIOC or be programed to read FSUIPC offsets? If yes to either, then you'd be in business with all of your annunciators, including the overhead panel.
    Jeremy Bucholz
    FAA LAS ATCT
    Proud NATCA Member!

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks for those, Jeremy. Could you tell us a bit more about what hardware you are using?

--
    Bryn

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by brynjames View Post
    Thanks for those, Jeremy. Could you tell us a bit more about what hardware you are using?

--
    Bryn
    Sure Bryn,

Most of my hardware is Opencockpits. I have one master card connected to a USB expansion card that is running my MIP. Connected to that master card is one output card (for annunciators) and two input cards (for knobs and switches). The six pack and auto flight systems annunciators are from Sismo which I have rigged to connect to my Opencockpits cards. My MCP, EFIS, and radios are from Opencockpits, all plug and play modules.
    Jeremy Bucholz
    FAA LAS ATCT
    Proud NATCA Member!

25+ Posting Member

Just a head's up everyone, you can now pre-order the software at a discounted rate until the 14th. The product will be available on the 18th. After the 14th the price goes up to the "crossed out" price. If you already own the iFly for FSX, please purchase the upgrade instead of the full, it will save you money Posted Image . Also, this product is covered by the 30-day refund policy.

Find it at SimStop: http://www.simstop.com/store/index.php?cPath=13
    Jeremy Bucholz
    FAA LAS ATCT
    Proud NATCA Member!

In principal I find the idea of an integrated solution (i.e. distributed gauges/displays combined with a sophisticated flight and system model) from a high quality add-on producer simply excellent. So when I first heard about the product, I was very enthusiastic. And when I had a look on your videos, I really liked what I saw. What really came as a disappointment, however, was the price. Let's briefly explain why, because the total price compared to similar solutions (like PM, SA, Flight Deck Software, ProSim737, etc.) is quite good or at least comparable.

To access the button/switch states of the iFly 737 you can currently use either IOCP/SIOC, the key commands interface or the SDK. To get access to its annunciator states and display values (MCP, Electric panel, IRS, etc.) you can also use the SDK or wait for the freeware SDK to FSUIPC offset mapper. So far so good.

But, correct me if I am wrong, this functionality is also available to every owner of the standard iFly 737 FSX addon. So what the Home Cockpit Builder's Edition adds to this, is the distributed glass cockpit. And since the displays/gauges functionality was obviously already mostly available in the basic product, iFly has mainly added the, admittedly highly efficient, network functionality. But this functionality comes for 465 US$ (with 50 US$ off for a preorder). Ridiculous.

PM and SA (if you were not lucky enough to get the intro prices) are much more expensive, but they bring a complete suite with systems logic and excessive support to connect your cockpit hardware via various interface technologies. Flight Deck Software and ProSim737 are in the same price segment as the iFly solution and they also provide the complete functionality as PM and SA. I assume that the reasons for the high prices (compared to other FS addons) of these products are the high programming efforts combined with the fact that they are only sold in a niche market. And in case of PM and (now also) SA the willingness of the cockpit builders to pay these prices.

What iFly really adds is the seamless integration of a high quality aircraft. But since the addon was intended for a much larger segment of the I find the price for the additional functionality simply not adequate. However, since no one forces me to spend my money on this addon, it's a very academic discussion.

Just my 2(0) cents.

Regards,
    Michael
    B738: 3,892 orders and counting...
    My cockpit building blog can be visited here.

25+ Posting Member

I have just a question about the new Ifly cockpit builder:

How can I read the Annunciators status and translate it to Offset to use with SIOC?
    It' available a mapper from SDK to Offset?

Many thanks for answer
    Regards
    Arnaldo Vacca

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast