75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Network Computers

How do you network computers together to run different parts of FSX. Is it like just making a home network up? If so how do you get each computer to do seperate things and does this give you more stability and speed over FSX.

Re: Network Computers

I am quite a few months away from the budget needed for a second pc, but am interested in the same type of information for planning purposes at this point. Doing basic networking of the pc's is not a problem and I already have a small home network to include a file server for non-sim pc's.

However, I'm a bit foggy on how to configure FSX FSUIPC Active Sky, Project Magenta, etc. when I do add a second pc. My intent for the initial two pc setup is to run the Instrument panel on PC 1 and the out the window view on PC 2.

So, to add to John's networking question any further feedback on where to load and how to configure the app's would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Tom G.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

I don't know how much knowledge you have so I will take it slowly -
    Firstly you set up your home network, which is the difficult part - after that it is pretty straight forward.
    I use WideFS which is what communicates with Flight Sim.
    Then for the instruments I use Prosim737.
    That is pretty much it.
    You can use mutliple computers but each one must be running WideFs and Prosim737.
    I am terrible trying to explain things but that is what I use. There are other ways of getting the instruments to run and no doubt you will get some more advice.
    For now if you google WideFs & Prosim737 that will get you started.
    Allan.

P.S. Active Sky is a pig to get running and I gave up and use it on the main computer.

Allan,

I take it from your comments that ASE can be run on a network pc other than the one running FSX and it speaks to FSX via WideFS, yes? I am just starting to read up on Project Magenta and it sounds like it does the same. I have not had any PC resource issues with ASE (and at the moment it's running on the same PC as FSX) other than the initial load being a bit slow. I take it from your comments that you have.

It sounds like much of what I am looking to do can be accomplished with a single instance of FSX running on the pc that will provide out the window visuals. At what point or under what circumstance would I need to have more then one instance of FSX running?

Thanks!
    Tom G.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

If you use Wideview then you will have to run another instance of FSX.
    I don't, and use Eyefinity for my visuals, which gives me 3 screens and works well.
    As I have said, WideFS & Prosim737 for the instruments.

ActiveSky does not use WideFS but Simconnect. I couldn't get simconnect to work and use Acitvesky on the FSX computer with no issues.
    So to summarise.
    Main PC....
    Eyefinity for visuals running 3 monitors.
    FSX
    ActiveSky
    Flight Deck Commander Live Cockpit.
    Engravity MCP, Efis and CDU.

2nd PC....
    WideFS & Prosim737 for instruments.
    Radar Contact.
    FlightSim Commander.
    This seems to work very well and I get no lag whatsoever.
    Allan.