Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Help with ideas for cockpit based on Saitek Panels, etc.

Here is what I have.. and I'd like some ideas , if possible, on how to go about building a single person cockpit.. I don't have the money or need to make a second seat for co-pilot. It can be relatively simple. Just really looking for functionality and ergonomics. IE: Keyboard perhaps that swings out and in from the side... Flush mounted panels, ideas on how to use software with my hardware for maximum efficiency and so on.

I have A saitek Multi Panel (Auto Pilot (all functions).. with Trim adjuster, and a few other odds and ends.) -- A saitek Radio Panel (Has Com/stby Nav/stby- sqwauk)
    Saitek eletrical panel (not sure of name) -- but has all the lights... ie: Taxi, landing, master, etc. Has landing Gear lever, and a dozen other switches.

I have a saitek X52 Pro Flight System -- Which is a HOTAS (I really like it.. so don't bash me please ) -- That has a separate throttle, with 256 button cominations and about 40 individual buttons. Has 3 toggle hats.. Slider axis.. two dials that are Axis's -- A mouse THUMB built in,.. Multifunction display built in and so on.

I have 2 , 24" LCD's.. two different brands, but both 1680x1050. Main computer (they are all self build but one) -- is an I5 CPU quadcore running at 4.1Ghz (beast of a machine built 2 yrs ago. ) -- With dual output ATI Radeon 5870HD (which of course runs everything very smooth).

I have 4 keyboards.

3-4 mouse.

Another Computer -- not built.. it is an HP,.. it is a Dual core AMD x64 5200 I think.. 2007-2008 top model.. still runs things great. Don't use it really.

Have two laptops on hand.

Have a spare 17" LCD (4-5 yrs old) collecting dust.. but thought it could be a gauge cluster with software.

I basically want some ideas on how to create this stuff in an ergonomic way for FSX. That is the main sim I run.

I don't have the 'ultimate setup' == but more than your average guy.. and currently it is sort of a hassle.. The chair height and stick/throttle etc.. aren't comfortable.

I use one monitor regularly and the second extended for Nav info. dragging GPA and such over to it. But I find myself still needing keyboard to file flight plans on multi player or some odds and ends..

I don't have a workshop, so some prefrab to work off of would be good.

I thought of getting a cheap 'desk' from somewhere that sort of fit the base of what I needed to mount this stuff to then modifying it.

I don't have alot of money, but am good with electronics and with my hands in general. So am not afraid to 'build' whatever needs to be done.

Hope you guys can throw some ideas out.

I'd love some way to use the all saitek equipment I have into some casing.. but I'd still like to change up the desk/ and flush mount monitors and get the gauges more permanent and realistic.

Thanks for reading and appreciate any thoughts you have !

25+ Posting Member

Re: Help with ideas for cockpit based on Saitek Panels, etc.

check out 'home built cockpits on you tube and just surf around there you"ll be amazed at what you"ll see and learn,john

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Neofate View Post
    .. and I'd like some ideas , if possible, on how to go about building a single person cockpit..
    John's right. An excellent way to collect ideas is to look at other peoples' projects.

In addition to Youtube, you can look at project websites, some of which are listed here: http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/simpi...pit_links.html

25+ Posting Member

Hi Neofate

I'm in the same situation as you and have very similar equipment. I have

- PC that I built around the i5 750 quad core chip which is overclocked to 3.8 Ghz (best I could get for stability)
    - ATI 5770 video card
    - Saitek switch panel, radio panel and multi-panel
    - CH Yoke and Pedals
    - TrackIR for head tracking
    - 24 inch 1080p monitor for outside views
    - 23 inch 1080p monitor for panels
    - Used van seat for the pilot's seat (not yet installed).

Right now everything is just sitting on a flat desk top. I originally thought of building a Roger Dodger Aviation LLC Universal Airliner enclosure (made from PVC pipe) but have to rethink that option now that I have the Saitek panels and a second monitor. There are (as mentioned in another post) good examples on Youtube of what can be done.

Compared to what a lot of people on this forum have built or are building, my flight simulator is very simple. But I still enjoy it.

Hope we can both come up with good, relatively inexpensive solutions for our cockpits.

10+ Posting Member

I was in the same boat as you. Here is what I ended up doing. Maybe it will give you some inspiration.
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...e-Saitek-Setup

Neofate.

At this time my desktop pit is very much in line with what you're looking to do.
    My long term plan/build is underway using a Cessna 172N fuselage. However, in the interim, my desktop pit is what I'm using. It also serves as a test bench for anything I'm testing for the 172.

25+ Posting Member

jrowland and Tom_G

Thanks for sharing your cockpits. They both look great and within my available budget.

Just wondering what size monitors you guys are using. JR, are you also using TH2GO? Tom, your monitors look like my Dell monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by trolleydriver View Post
    jrowland and Tom_G

Thanks for sharing your cockpits. They both look great and within my available budget.

Just wondering what size monitors you guys are using. JR, are you also using TH2GO? Tom, your monitors look like my Dell monitors.
    Good Catch, the lower monitor that I use for my instruments is a 19" Dell. The upper monitor that I use for my out the window view is an HP branded 23" Monitor. I am using a Track IR5 Pro with the out the window view and really like how it works.

The 19" monitor, Saitek panels, my DIY panels, and my keyboard are all mounted on a 1'x4' panel. The Saitek TPM throttle unit is attached to but mounted below the 1x4 panel. The 23" monitor is on a swing arm mounted on the desktop and of course positioned above and behind the 1x4 panel. The CH Yoke got a some serious surgery with the yoke shaft being extended 24" and the yoke inverted so I could mount the unit upside down under the desk and out of the way. The Rudder Pedals are DIY "Cessna Like" in design and mounted in their own cabinet that sits on the floor under the desk.

There are USB hubs and an outlet strip mounted out of sight on the back side of the 1x4 panel to reduce the number of cable connections leaving the panel. The entire design was built with the idea in mind to be able to vacate the desk when needed without having to take it all apart piece by piece so the desk can be returned to "normal" use.

I plan to add some interchangeable instrument panel masks (one for single, one for twin, etc.) with a few surface mounted rotary encoders (Heading Bug, VOR OBS, Altimiter, etc.) to increase immersion/realism factor a bit more, but that will be about the end of my desktop sim pit build as all further sim expedatures will go towards my Fuselage conversion.

25+ Posting Member

Here is what my current "temporary" setup looks like. Various things (monitors, Saitek panels) are propped up on boxes and wooden shelves. From the front on view it looks like the top monitor is sitting on top of the lower monitor but it is actually set back somewhat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by trolleydriver View Post
    jrowland and Tom_G

I'm not sure what the exact size of my MIP monitor is: 21" is my best guess. I picked it up from a home video surveillance system. Yes, I am using a TH2G on the desk for the outside view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast