Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Read-Write Synchronisation in SIOC

Hi all, I've been playing around with SIOC, so far so good. Basic functionality is ok.
    What I now have a problem with - is synchronization between reads and writes.

Imagine MCP V/S indicator value(has read offset and write offset), and the corresponding encoder to change Write Offset.
    Now whenever encoder changes, all is simple - we write at the Write Offset and eventually Read Offset reflects the change and the display picks it up.

So the flow is like so:
    {Encoder Routine} -> Write Offset -> {Whatever FS, FSUIPC does} -> Read Offset -> {Read Offset Change Routine} -> Display...

When however the variable change internally, only Read Offset changes value. So in my case I click V/S Button the V/S Speed gets current vertical speed value and the change is reflected in the Read Offset of course, so I can see the right value on the screen. If I now turn the encoder, the value resets to whatever Write Offset holds, which makes sense, but is not right.

I can see at least one ugly solution, with temporary variable telling us if Write Offset has been recently changed. There could be other variations on that theme as well but these are not elegant.

Anyone tackled that problem before?

Cheers,
    Vadim

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Re: Read-Write Synchronisation in SIOC

Hi Vadim,
    Quote Originally Posted by aVaTar View Post
    Anyone tackled that problem before?
    Yes of course.

As an example a generic SIOC script for the CRS part of a NAV1 radio (from my HowTo page). Works for most add-ons:

Code:
    Var 1 name FI_Crs Link FSUIPC_IN Offset $0C4E Length 2    
    {
      &Crs = &FI_Crs    
    }

Var 2 name Crs
    {
      &D_Crs = &Crs 
    }

Var 3 name RO_Crs Link IOCARD_ENCODER Input 61 Aceleration 4 Type 2     
    {
      L0 = &RO_Crs     
      &Crs = ROTATE 0 359 L0
      &FO_Crs = &Crs       
    }

Var 4 name D_Crs Link IOCARD_DISPLAY Digit 25 Numbers 3

Var 5 name FO_Crs Link FSUIPC_OUT Offset $0C4E Length 2
    kind regards,
    Nico
    Last edited by kiek; 10-19-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: furher simplification of CODE

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiek View Post
    Hi Vadim,
    Yes of course.
    Thought as much .
    Ok, I think that's a neater solution than what I though of initially.
    Just to re-state it in words if anyone finds this post, use a temporary variable to hold the state, it changes in response to Read Only Offset changing value and us changing the value manually...

I was trying to avoid creating a 3rd variable besides Read Only and Write Only. But I guess its unavoidable

I'll give it a go later, thanks heaps Nico!

Hi,
    I was trying to avoid creating a 3rd variable besides Read Only and Write Only. But I guess its unavoidable
    The Crs variable is "not unavoidable" but by design :=) A rotary always needs a value to act upon and to keep the value between turns. Even if you did not need read/write synchronisation you would need the Crs variable.

We can further reduce the number of variables by using a FSUIPC_INOUT variable:
    Code:
    Var 1 name X_Crs Link FSUIPC_INOUT Offset $0C4E Length 2    
    {
      &Crs = &X_Crs    
    }

Var 2 name Crs
    {
      &D_Crs = &Crs 
    }

Var 3 name RO_Crs Link IOCARD_ENCODER Input 61 Aceleration 4 Type 2     
    {
      L0 = &RO_Crs     
      &Crs = ROTATE 0 359 L0
      &X_Crs = &Crs       
    }

Var 4 name D_Crs Link IOCARD_DISPLAY Digit 25 Numbers 3
    But the code in my previous post better illustrates the flow of information for the readers of this forum, imho.

Have Fun coding in SIOC!

Cheesr,
    Nico

5. Thanks aVaTar thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiek View Post
    Hi,

The Crs variable is "not unavoidable" but by design :=) A rotary always needs a value to act upon and to keep the value between turns. Even if you did not need read/write synchronisation you would need the Crs variable.
    Well, for that I used the Write Offset variable, so that I don't have to keep same value twice, minimizing maintenance(I work as a software engineer )

But in this case we specifically want to keep the value locally and not in FSUIPC memory:
    Code:

// Rotate local copy
      &Crs = ROTATE 0 359 L0
      // Write local copy into FSUIPC address space
      &FO_Crs = &Crs
    Whereas I was doing this:
    Code:

// Write into FSUIPC address space
      &FO_Crs =  ROTATE 0 359 L0

Basically, in my code I made an assumption that the no one will change "my(not)" variable. Once that assumption is not fulfilled, the code has to be modified the way you showed.

(I work as a software engineer )
    Then you should know that you have to write code such that is is easy to understand by human readers of your code, and not to make difficult to understand optimisations

Using FO_Crs in the ROTATE statement is not a good approach because you also have to write to the Display. It is better to centralise the writing to the Display in the code attached to the Crs variable (especially if you want further enhancements such as cold and dark support, and you will, I can tell you ).

Nico

25+ Posting Member

Using FO_Crs in the ROTATE statement is not a good approach because you also have to write to the Display
    That's actually not a problem here, because display simply tracks any changes to the Read Only variable.

But don't worry Nico, I weren't prematurely optimizing but rather trying to keep it as simple as it can be without bastardizing good design.
    And actually having 3 variables (Read, Write and Temp) as a design principle is not good(to put it mildly!). But yet again we can't control that and those offsets are in another process' memory so I'm thankful we have at least that way to "intrude" on FS memory spaces and change things around.

So, given the solution we have to work with (FSUIPC) and SIOC, I totally agree with you. As usual every system has it's quirks

Also thanks for information on your website, I particular liked using subroutines for hardware output. That's a nice design pattern.

Also thanks for information on your website, I particular liked using subroutines for hardware output. That's a nice design pattern.
    Thank you!

I am a fan of the KISS principle too, but the requirements of Read/Write synchronisation are such that I cannot make it more simpler than with a Read/Write variable in the FSUIPC space and a local variable for Display and Manual changes.

Note that Read/Write synchronisation is for some offsets more than synchronising with the 'start-up value' in FlightSimulator (FSUIPC space). The VS offset for instance also changes during a flight. As soon as the VS window opens you have to synchronise with it in your hardware. My 'design pattern' takes care of that.

But like we say in Europe: "There are many ways leading to Rome..."

Nico

I want to add one insight here...

I use project magenta software and for the encoders in the FCU I had the issue that using a code proposed by Niko Kaan
    didnt work. When I turned the encoder slowly then it worked flawless but turning faster caused the value to start to
    jumo.
    The reason is that the encoder script is using the value to increment it but the value coming back from the fcu in the
    read cycle comes a little later and the value jumps back.
    I have overcome this by blocking the FSUIPC_IN value from updating the local value for the encoder during half a second
    with a timer. So as long as i am turning the rotary the FSUIPC_IN value is blocked but when I stop turning it the updates
    are allowed again.
    This made a very stable encoder update ans is running for two years already.

Greetz Peter
    FS9+PM+AST+opencockpits

25+ Posting Member

Ehh.... hold on.. that's the problem I'm trying to solve And that's the ugly solution I was thinking about...
    I must admit I haven't tried modifying the code yet, but tracing through the proposed code again I don't see how intermediate variable helps...
    I'm definitely confused now

Yes, actually Nico, in your code what happens is that you have concurrent unsynchronized changed to &Crs variable(which is temp variable).
    I coded to write directly to Write Offset variable, but the principle is the same, we have concurrent changes to the variable that gotta be synchronized.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast