10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Monitor... contrast? Resolution? Monitor just sucks?

So I was all excited when I completed my portable Saitek setup. After using it a few times, I'm a little disappointing by my MIP monitor. The whole thing sits below eye-level... the top of the frame is about level with my chin, and I'm about 20-22 inches away from it. My problem is that the gauges are virtually un-seeable at this angle. I either see the black part of the gauges really well, and nothing else... or an outline of the gauge with none of the black parts showing (like the face of the instrument).

I've managed to develop a "workaround" by angling the monitor upwards so that as I look "down" at it, it's being viewed "straight on". But this defeats the purpose... 1) it doesn't "look right" (the setup as a whole), and 2) my plan is to continue expanding this sideways for a copilot position. If I can't see the thing right in front of my nose, the copilot probably will have the same issues as well.

I've also made it slightly better by designing a different 2D panel with all black background and the gauges made a little bigger than what is shown in the pictures on the link above.

After googling around for "LCD Viewing Angles", I've only managed to confuse myself more with terms such as "contrast ratios", "viewing cones", "Advanced contrast", "dynamic contrast". etc. I'm wondering if there is a simple "solution", and if not, what kind of specs would I look for in a replacement monitor? Is it maybe the quality of the gauges (default FSX Cessna), and a payware set of gauges might look better? Would a stand-alone program displaying gauges through WideFS look better? Or is it the monitor itself?

I have no idea what the specs of this current monitor are - I picked it up from someone who did not need it, and there are no books/documents with it.

Thanks for any education on this and ideas. Many people use "MIP Monitors", so I can't be the only one with this problem... or there are solutions that I've missed.

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Monitor... contrast? Resolution? Monitor just sucks?

Hi JRoland,

You could try putting the monitor upside down and using software or your Video Driver to invert the image. Some Monitors are easier viewed at different angles.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

Hi Jrowland,

This is very tipical problem in all our cockpits. And the things getting worse with little monitors (14" and belows are practically invisible from any angle diferent than 0º).

Unfortunately, the marketing says how nice its the contrast, brightness, etc... but viewing angles and color depth are almost imposible to find in ther specs. I have two little TFT (7" if I remember correctly) that I use for my chronometers that are invisible at all if you look at them from the other side (the captain look to FO chrono, and viceversa).

Just try wath Bernie says, maybe best viewed in upside down position. The more expensive and new, usually get the best view angles!
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

10+ Posting Member

Thanks guys. Ironically, upside down is the only way that I tried it. The way that I built the box, and the way that the cables connect to the monitor, upside down was the only option. I never even tried it "right side up".

I assumed this would be a less common problem, seeing as how it is a popular option. It almost seems as if any type of bezel around individual gauges will just make it worse.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll just have to poke around the monitor stores and see if any of them can be viewed from various angles.