Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile my A320 throttle - some pics & a short video

Hey guys,
    Here are some pictures and a link to a short video to get an impression of my first A320 Throttle Unit. It's the 1st prototype. Most of the geometry of the levers is based on real drawings and I think it became a pretty good replica.

The unit has all detents in place (TOGA, FLX, CLB, IDLE & REV IDLE). Each lever is gear connected with a 10K pot also covering the reverser zones and of course it has the switches for A/THR disconnect. For interfacing I use the BU0836 controller.

The reverser locks work very well. It's like the real thing. When in idle you have to pull the small levers to get into reverse. If you push them forward to idle, the reverse levers snap to their original position and the reverser zone is locked again.

So far I used this unit with the wonderful A320 FMGS software from JeeHell (many thanks, buddy!!!) and it's really a great experience to pull back the throttles from TOGA or FLX to CLB after takeoff, to disconnect the A/THR during an approach, fly manually and to pull the levers to kick in the reversers after a smooth touchdown. It really add's a lot of realism feeling compared to this tiny generic lever I used before.

Some minor refinements will be done in the next version and some more testing is neccessary.

There is still 15mm space on both sides of the housing. That should be enough to add a suitable gear connecting the trim wheels and the trim indicator cones. The lever shaft is a hollow shaft already. I might work on that later.

However, so far I think it became a pretty cool device and it was way cheaper than some other available products which are for sure very nice but unfortunately way out of my budget. If you guys have any questions or comments, drop me a line.

Cheers,
    Rob

here the link to the short demo vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XizmV3NkfDo
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks W9XE/Project777 thanked for this post
    Likes 10RT4WX liked this post
    300+ Forum Addict

Re: my A320 throttle - some pics & a short video

that is a really nice job! Di you make all of the peices? I am building an A320 as well, need to construc a throttle. Would you care to share your drawings?

Buddy

25+ Posting Member

Great Job, It looks and operates fantasic !

Hi buddym:

Thanks for the compliments. All pieces are laser cutted and it's a mix of perspex, steel and aluminum. Regarding your throttle construction for sure I can support you, add some more pictures, give you some advice, provide you with some measurements, give recommendation regarding the paint if you use perspex as well, etc ... but for now I won't release any drawings. I hope you understand that. I still need to do some more testing, some little refinements in the design, maybe I add backlight since it's already prepared for that due to the used perspex. And if there is any interest I might think of offering a small batch of pre-assembled & already wired kits. So whoever is interested could do the sanding & paint job at home... we will see. But therefore I need some more time and of course some more feedback if there is any interest. Believe me, developing an affortable throttle which looks and works like the real thing is just time consuming

btw speaking of painting: I used RAL 7031 for the housing and cover sheets. Do you guys know if there is any common standard regarding the color code of all the different airbus panel suppliers? Many of them show really nice pics and great panels but almost nobody state the color they use, except simparts? And as far as I know there are two A320 MIP designs flying around. Do these two MIPs also have different colors in the real thing? And do these two MIP versions also affect the colors of the panels?

@ hexpope: thanks for your nice comments. I'm glad you like it. Greeting to Sudan from cold and foggy Munich

Cheers,

Rob

150+ Forum Groupie

Excellent job Rob.

I would certainly be interested in the prewired kit.

--
    Bryn

Hi Bryn,

thanks for your comment. I will keep you in mind & contact you again when I'll be finished. If you like I will send you some additional pics to get a rough idea of what I could prepare for you. I am out on business but when I'll be back home I'll drop you a line in a PM. I will move in a few weeks and I still have to box alot of stuff, so there wont be much time. As a rough estimate I guess 1st quarter of next year could be realistic. However, you will get some more details.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

This certainly looks promising! Would you mind putting me on your list of potential customers?

Thanks,
    Hans

Hi Hans,

I've put you on my list. If you have any detailed questions regarding the design, interfacing ... whatsoever ... just drop me a line.

kind regards,
    Rob

300+ Forum Addict

Hi Rob.
    I like the thrust levers you made. Please let me know if you will have more for sell.
    Regards

Hi Leonidas,

thanks for the compliment. The shown throttle is still a prototype and I would like to do some more refinements on the feeling of the detents. In addition I am not really happy with friction of the sliding covers, yet. However, there are some things that I would like to change/improve in a next version.
    Since it's all laser cutted it will be reproducible and there is a plan to make it available to others as well. As mentioned ealier I'm currently preparing to move into a new house and there isn't much time left. But when things have settled I will continue the development. A throttle like that just takes time

If you need any more details, just drop me a PM.

thank you & kind regards to Greece
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast