10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I have a 4850x2, I want to add a nvidia 3dvision card on same mobo for cpit view

Blessings, can you change the fsx undocked blue borders to black ?

I am using an ati 4850x2 card to drive 4 monitors. 3 cockpit and one forward cockpit view. I want to buy a new motherboard with 2 or 3 independant gcu pci 16 express slots to add a nvidia 3d vision card for the forward cockpit view instead. I am using windows 7. ie., ati and nvidia on same mobo. From what I've read the cards should work together in win 7, but will it work in fsx ? Thanks

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: I have a 4850x2, I want to add a nvidia 3dvision card on same mobo for cpit view

You will find it extremely difficult to get Nvidia and ATI working on the same motherboard. I spent weeks trying and gave up as the drivers conflict like ****.
    WHat's the potential benefit of the 3D card given that all FSX screens are low res i.e less than 1280X1024?
    geoff

10+ Posting Member

Re: I have a 4850x2, I want to add a nvidia 3dvision card on same mobo for cpit view

Hi Geoff,
    To be honest I have not thought all of this through. I was at a friend's house and got my mind blown watching a 3d vision movie with the wire less glasses. 3d vision say fsx works excellent in their list of games. Hence the interest in the 3d card. But I already have the 4850x2 and that works fine. I have been told that ati does not do good 3d. I figured this the logical option. Next is a seperate computer to do the cockpit view/s and that will be a nvidia3d vision card. Did the cards work together at all on windows 7 ? Or just not with games ? Or fsx ? Does the resolution mean that fsx won't look good in 3d with the glasses ? Thanks for the quick reply. Oh btw, can I change the color or get rid of the blue borders in the undocked fsx panels ?
    Thanks

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Michael check out this thread
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...520#post124520
    I've only got WinXP so can't help with Win7. If you are going to use a separate PC for outside views then you have more freedom with graphics cards choices.
    My opinion of graphics cards for FSX is that more is not better as FSX appears to have been designed for fairly low res graphics so having the fastest graphics cards may not be necessary as they just generate a lot of heat. The PC for your outside view needs to be as fast as you can afford for faster hard disk loading and processing of the graphics (e.g. for weather and ground scenery) and I believe a lot of the processing is still done by the CPU as well as the GPU.
    regards
    geoff

10+ Posting Member

Thanks Geoff, I'm still to read where someone said ... " I did it, it's piece of cake. " 2 computers may be my only option.
    Your comment about the video cards is very interesting though. I agonized for a long time about upgrading to windows 7 and fsx. In fact I fiddled unfortunately with dual booting with xp and ended up erasing about 200 gigs of cherished stuff. That still sucks let me tell you. Windows 7 has been good to me so far but for folks only flying fs9, xp is great too. Appreciate the help.
    Thanks
    Michael