Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question What best to interface my cockpit to the sim?

I am completely overwhelmed trying to figure out how to connect my cockpit to my sim. I am using FS2004, or newer if I need to. I have all my gauges, converted them to servos, controls, pots, panel, switches, all of it. All my parts are real parts converted. My inputs are analog (switches and pots). I need pwm outputs for the gauges and digital for lamps etc. I am ready to start connecting all of this to the sim. However, what format/system shoule I use? I have looked at phidgets, arduiino,simkits, etc. They all have me confused. I like the simkits CCu but the price is steep.
    I really like the Arduino Mega board but don't feel like I could get it to talk to the sim. Is it hard to do?
    I am building a fully functional sim with eventual full motion for a GA, cessna 172rg. I am highly skilled mechanic, electrician, carpenter. I have very strong skills(from manufacturing) in electronics, soldering etc. I have no programming skills but could learn. I consider myself above average in windows knowledge. I know enjough jsut to keep me out of trouble!
    I just need to figure out what to learn. Cost is not an issue however, I dont want to pay $500 for something I could build and program myself with some time and patience. There is no time frame or cost limit. So how the heck do I figure out what system to use? I have searched these forums for similar questions but have found none. How did you guys figure out what you used?
    Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance!
    Glenn

25+ Posting Member

Re: What best to interface my cockpit to the sim?

Hi Glenn,

Take a look at Leo Bodnar's card and see if that is what you need. Not expensive and easy to use ( if I can .. anyone can)
    http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/

Hope this helps a little

Mark

3. Thanks Willow, gspannelljr thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Sorry.. forgot to mention also have a look at FSUIPC. An easy to use interface program that does a heap of things.

Mark

5. Thanks gspannelljr thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

Hi Glenn,

The Leo Bodnar card is just for switches and potmeters. If you want more than that you will need something else.
    Consider the opencockpit cards or fsbus. You can do everything you want with both.
    I use FSBUS , made the cards myself (a lot of work), I can give you a link were you can buy the pcb's. Then you have to buy the components and solder them on the pcbs yourself. (besides that I have 3 leo bodnar cards, but these are for the primary controls of the sim, throttle, flaps,elevator,aileron,rudder, brakes etc)

If you go the opencockpitcards way, you can make everything yourself, buy the pcb's together with the components or fully assembled.

I suggest read the docs of both systems to get an impression of both and then decide

7. Thanks gspannelljr thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

Thanks guys for the advice. I had looked at opencockpits and liked what I saw. I have no problem building my own boards. I was confused as to what each board did when I looked at the website. Perhaps you could guide me to what I need? Also do I need to get fsupic? do I need fsuipc to make the cards work? This is where I really get confused. I was also confused if I could use boards from different manufacturers like opencockpits and leo bodnars. From what I am stariting to see, I can use the boards I want and fsuipc will interface them with my pc and sim software, right?

Thanks again to both of you.

25+ Posting Member

Hi Glenn,

No you don't need FSUIPC to make Leo's card work but what it does do is lets you refine the actions of different controls and buttons within flightsim.
    Most common actions can be achieved through the normal controls tab in flightsim and will work with Leo's card. I started using Leo's card without FSUIPC at first and found it hard to get anything to run properly, like getting the throttles in sync(ie thrush percentages) but with FSUIPC you can make fine adjustments. Its kind of hard to explain and I'm sure there are alot more people with greater knowledge than me on the subject that will have the answers you seek. As far as other cards go I haven't got that far yet and I'm sure I will be asking you about it soon enough. I'm the sort of person that can look at something and build it but when it comes to technical stuff... not so switched on... Thats why I like FSUIPC and Leo's card. I almost understand it

Mark

10. Thanks gspannelljr thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

Well thanks guys, you gave me enough of a kick in the right direction. I already liked opencockpits products but didnt really understand how they worked. I figured out how to find what I needed on the website and have decided to go with their boards. The prices are great and they fit my skill level. Now I will draw schematic/plan for my panel and figure out just which boards and so on that I need. thanks again for all your help and I will post pictures when the assmebley starts.

hallo norbert
    wie ich so lese hast u genug erfahrung mit fsbus!!!
    habe ältere fsbus mit project magenta un pmdg (boeing 737 ng)software .
    habe da probleme.wenn ok dann schreibe dir die prblematik....vielleicht kannst du mir helfen.
    sim ist in köln-wo bist du zuhause?
    lg
    david

75+ Posting Member

Hi David,

I have the Amsterdam area. You can find my email when you look at mu website. Just write your problem down and I se what i can do.
    I cvan read german without any problem (although writing is more easier for my in Englisch).

75+ Posting Member

Hi David,

I live in the Amsterdam area. You can find my email when you look at my website. Just write your down your problem and I se what i can do. I can read German without any problem (although writing is more easier for my in Englisch).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast