Hello all,

Re-posted here, sorry....tried to delete or move my post off of 'real instruments' but could not seem to make it work.

I would first like to thank everyone who has helped me so far in my search for cockpit 'realism'.

A special thank you goes out to Leo Bodnar, 737Nut (Rob) and Mike Powell for all the help and continued support so far.

Just wondering if there are SIOC scripts readily available to interface with an Open Cockpits USB cards?

I am reading and trying to understand how the language works. I find that the tutorials by other members very helpful. ....but...

The tutorial provided on the OC website on SIOC is in very poor english and hard to understand...I can only assume this is due to the translation engine.

Anyway....enough of my complaining....

I am considering going the stepper motor route as opposed to a servo motor to replace the exsisting drive in my engine gauges.

Why?

Simply put size of the motor. I need something that will fit into the existing package of a real aircraft gauge...namely the old Boeing style 747 classic N1, N2, EGT etc. (8DJ163LXF) if anyone is interested in the part number.

I will preface my explanations by stating that I know very little about stepper motors and less about interfacing.

I am not even sure if this is even a viable concept when modifying an engine gauge....(as the step motor would need to be programmed not to go all the way around).

So....if someone else has a better option I am all ears.

Having said this, the jury is not out yet on the drive that is in the gauge at present. I have a couple of people helping me on this to identify what it is exactly...a servo motor?, synchro transformer?, etc.

Internet searchs have led me to 'resolver' pages. But these units don't seem to exist anymore (?).

Whatever it is, I would like to utilize it if I could, but I may not be able to interface it with an Open Cockpit card.

If anyone is interested.....;

The engine gauge motor itself is identified as a Litton Clifton Precision Servo Control Motor 26 v 400 hz.

It has 6 wires coming out the back, it appears that the rotor is powered @ 26 volts AC and the stators @ 9.5 volts AC each.

I have performed a number of tests on it have identified the rotor and stator(s).

I didn't have an available AC supply,so I tore apart my 12 volt battery charger and tapped off the 12 volt 60hz AC supply off the transformer before it was converted to DC.

By connecting low voltage AC supply to the rotor, the small motor will begin to 'buzz'....when I connected another small voltage AC supply to the two of the wires that denote stator 1, the unit will rotate continuosly...and when I reverse polarity it will rotate the other way.

Same conditions when connecting the two wires for stator 2. Connecting the AC power to ST1 and ST2 at the same time provided the same rotational results...and again a reverse polarity would turn the needle in the opposite direction.

If anyone has any idea's on the above, your response would be most appreciated.

-Jim