Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

What to use to for the interior walls of my cockpit?

Hi,
    I am in the process of lining out my cockpit nose. I am building a 737.
    I have bolted wooden batens to the interior frame and will use hardboard on the batens to line out the shell. It is quite a large area and I also have room for a few passenger in the back where I have built a seating area into the frame.
    Now I dont know what to use to cover the hardboard to make it look good - oreven if there is a good alternative to hardwood.....
    I have thought of using grey carpet as a covering but think it may look naff, I have also looked at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3305563868...84.m1438.l2649 but dont know how good that will look over a large area, or even whether it is the correct product for the job.
    I have spend quite a bit of money on my rig at the moment so want to get the interior look just right.
    Any suggestions on interior lining.
    Cheers
    Allan.

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Re: What to use to for the interior walls of my cockpit?

You could use wood paneling give it that rec-room look Kidding. You could use the indoor outdoor carpeting. People wouldn't expect it to be on a wall and it could act as a sound deadener. That plastic material in your post has a texture on it that can also be attained by using an eggshell finish paint. My self I would perhaps go with a painted finish. Use Polyfilla to smooth out the seems/holes then sand prime then paint eggshell finish would also help sound dampen but to do that really effectively you need to fill the holes behind the hardboard as best as possible. If you don't plan to ever take it apart to be moved then a can of spray foam insulation could do the trick if you plan on moving it someday then cloth (clean rags) work quite well.

Sound deadening will help give your cockpit a solid feel and add to the ambiance if you are having passengers on board. A finish could be as easy as paint or complex as carpet but you want it to feel and sound solid.

Just some thoughts.
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Ron,
    I have thought of painting it but don't want it to look painted and no matter how much time I take it will still look like painted hardboard. (if you know what I mean).
    So the carpet idea is not as bad as it sounds? If I can get a nice grey carpet and use spray adhesive it might work. The only problem I have is it is such a large area to cover. Maybe I could paint the cockpit area and carpet the passenger side.
    I do not have to worry too much about deadening the sound as my frame is a real cockpit and I am just boarding it out onto the aluminium. I will put polystyrene panels behind the hardboard though as insulation and extra sound proofing.
    My brain is working overtime and sleep consists of planning my build whilst Mrs Notgotaclue keeps elbowing me.
    Another thing whilst I am here, what seats can I use for the pilot and co-pilot?. I am thinking of building my own but if there is a ready made car seat that fits the bill then smashing.
    Too many things to do and not enough hours in the day. Especially when Mrs Notgotaclue wants me to spend time with her and the kids- the cheek. Why cant she take the kids to the park? Dont she know I have a plane to build.
    Allan

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

I just had a thought. What about using vinyl to cover the interior. I would put it over a hard surface though. It looks like plastic but can be cut and fit nicely over top. Not nearly as heavy as carpet and you can get it at your local fabric shop. Vinyl is used for upholstery so if you get enough you could make and cover your seats with the same stuff.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Car seats tend to be much wider than conventional aircraft seats, at least that's what I have found. I have seen some pretty nice boat seats though, I'm using a cheap boat seat in my generic cockpit but there are definately some nicer captain seats available that might work for your cockpit?

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

I have a pair of grey car seats i was originally using for my build, but looking to upgrade. Send me a PM if interested.

Cheers
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Geremy Britton View Post
    I have a pair of grey car seats i was originally using for my build, but looking to upgrade. Send me a PM if interested.

Cheers
    Thanks for that PM sent.
    The boat seats might work out. I feel a visit to Ebay coming on.....
    The boarding out of my pit is coming along nicely, even though I am making it up as I go along. I tried making a plan but as it is a real cockpit it is just a case of following the contours with some hardboard stapled to batens. I am please with it, which is all that matters.
    I think the carpet idea for the passenger bench is a definate and if it looks good I will continue into the cockpit area or maybe not