Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Improving Visuals (4 computers, 3 projectors, curved screen)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    . . . First: Cover the screen and the cockpit to paint the ceiling in mate black . . .

. . . Then we add another layer of MDF sheets already painted in black just below and over the used screen . . .
    This, blacking out areas outside the projection screen, is something I have been pondering. To either side and below it seems to help keep focus on the projected image. However, above I keep pondering if it would be better to use a "typical sky blue or to go hi tech as I've seen in some museum type exhibits that use scenery projection, and pick up on the screen color at the top edge and project it as a single color very low light wash across the ceiling above.

Where I've seen it done it had the affect of adding to the illusion/immersion, however, those settings where not flight sims. Just curious if anyone has done this or not. Good or Bad idea? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_G_2010 View Post
    ...I keep pondering if it would be better to use a "typical sky blue or to go hi tech as I've seen in some museum type exhibits that use scenery projection, and pick up on the screen color at the top edge and project it as a single color very low light wash across the ceiling above.
    I've never heard of anyone doing this at home, but could have great results. Its something like "ambilight" does in Philips TVs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK4qng65TXw).

The best escenario its no too see any bezels around the screen (Just see the screen all around you)! We are very close to this, at present, we just see the inferior border if you look down left, at nine o'clock from the captain side or three o'clock from the FO side. In fact we have the intention of modifying the side windows frame to avoid this.
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

300+ Forum Addict

Aaron,

Thank you for explaining things and it seems that you've been down the road like all of us with curved screens...as much hard work it can be, it's still worth it. The black surrounding paint is right on track. We did the same thing here with our sim...

Tom it sounds like a good idea because it would lend to lighting the cockpit up during the daytime; however, the problem comes in when you add glass or plexiglass (plastic) to your windows. You will get reflections from the ceiling and then the angle of the light hitting the windows causes you to squint from glare.

Although, we did paint our ceiling black first, we left our screen white all the way up to the ceiling. Even though this portion of the screen is not seen in the cockpit, it still provides light reflection which causes the glare...somewhat. I could imagine if the the ceiling was white it would be much worse.

BSD

Hi guys!

Everything is running almost fine. Very much hard work these days, but we are close to the neverending point hehe.

Yesterday I make a short video with some new things and our visuals.

Greetings!

5. Thanks maussuam thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict

Aaron,

What are you using to get the weather for the ND at such smaller distances? In PM, it only shows up good at 160 to 320 NM, but yours is really good at 10, 20 and 40. So, what is your secret?

BSD

150+ Forum Groupie

very good set ... but please post a video with real weather (REX) and on a big Airport like EDDF.
    There the frames are interesting. Thanks for sharing your tests and ideas.
    Jan
    Visit my project on Facebook and become a fan www.facebook.de/homecockpit

Quote Originally Posted by blueskydriver View Post
    Aaron,

What are you using to get the weather for the ND at such smaller distances? In PM, it only shows up good at 160 to 320 NM, but yours is really good at 10, 20 and 40. So, what is your secret?

BSD
    Hi blueskydriver!

There is no mystery there. I use the typical sa_wrx for weather on the ND but I think there is no visible weather on the video. I believe you are thinking the island on the terrain button are clouds (http://www.vacationstogo.com/images/...aryIsls700.gif
    Greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pemöller View Post
    very good set ... but please post a video with real weather (REX) and on a big Airport like EDDF.
    There the frames are interesting. Thanks for sharing your tests and ideas.
    Jan
    Hallo Jan!

I dont have rex for a few reasons (I need three licences (one per visual PC) I dont know how compatible it is with wideview, not installed any addons but airports and I have not finished with some major things yet) But I think I can make a little approach video (If I can find the tripod for the camera!) with heavy storm.
    Greetings!

Hello friends!

Sorry for the delay

I try to make this video for myself, but was imposible to record while landing or taking off. Finally a friend of mine get this record in LOWI with heavy snow and thunderstorm via AS with me and Orlando as F/O

Finally we get REX, but I decide not to install on the three computers yet, until get some more information of what it change for make backups of the visual clients (to much work to re-done if anything gets wrong)
    Greetings!

11. Thanks gandofalcon, Geremy Britton thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Hi Aaron,
    Very nice setup. Your Outside view solution is the direction i have committed myself to go in. I purchased 3 i7's and have them overclocked to 3.8 ghz. WidevieW was always my prefered choice, rather than a triple header. This was because i wanted higher res, and smoother frames.

I am however having trouble with the performance of Wideview on the clients. I cant seem to achieve smooth motion. I know my client computers are more that capable of processing FSX, so my guess is its the setting within WidevieW.

I posted a thread on here, but no luck in finding a solution, except pausing the clients. This makes them smoother, but creates undesirable results (No animation, rain, snow ect..).

Could you please help me and post me your setup config within wideview and maybe even some tips.
    I see i have simular hardware specs(computers) to you, and i am amazed with the smoothness of your Panoramic outside view.
    Thanks
    Regards
    TOM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast