Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    CUPAR FIFE SCOTLAND NEAR ST ANDREWS
    Posts
    163
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    rudder pedals from an exercise stepper

    hi
    has anybody heard of an exercise stepper being made into rudder
    pedals if so could you please provde a link with pictures or plans
    many thanks
    dave

  2. #2
    300+ Forum Addict



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    406
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: rudder pedals from an exercise stepper

    Quote Originally Posted by davemuir View Post
    hi
    has anybody heard of an exercise stepper being made into rudder
    pedals if so could you please provde a link with pictures or plans
    many thanks
    dave
    Several years ago Roger Wielgus posted about doing just that. I don't remember where he posted. Given that it was so long ago, it was probably on AVSIM. I don't think there were any construction details. As I recall he said he used a set of compact stair steppers and that the hydraulic damping produced a realistic control loading effect.

    If you're considering using a set for pedals, I'd say you're on the right path.

  3. #3
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    CUPAR FIFE SCOTLAND NEAR ST ANDREWS
    Posts
    163
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: rudder pedals from an exercise stepper

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Powell View Post
    Several years ago Roger Wielgus posted about doing just that. I don't remember where he posted. Given that it was so long ago, it was probably on AVSIM. I don't think there were any construction details. As I recall he said he used a set of compact stair steppers and that the hydraulic damping produced a realistic control loading effect.

    If you're considering using a set for pedals, I'd say you're on the right path.
    Hi Mike
    many thanks for your info

  4. #4
    500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London, ON Canada
    Posts
    528
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: rudder pedals from an exercise stepper

    It really depends on the age of the aircraft you are trying to simulate as most modern and by that I mean anything built from 1985 onward are control by wire. That is there is no movable linkage between the cockpit and the tail/wings they are controlled via servo. If it's older then there would be force required to move the surface. That said I would suggest you check out Flightsim.com HOWTO Section for ways to build a set of rudder peddles there are I think at least 4 different articles on that subject alone.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

  5. #5
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    CUPAR FIFE SCOTLAND NEAR ST ANDREWS
    Posts
    163
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: rudder pedals from an exercise stepper

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson2k9 View Post
    It really depends on the age of the aircraft you are trying to simulate as most modern and by that I mean anything built from 1985 onward are control by wire. That is there is no movable linkage between the cockpit and the tail/wings they are controlled via servo. If it's older then there would be force required to move the surface. That said I would suggest you check out Flightsim.com HOWTO Section for ways to build a set of rudder peddles there are I think at least 4 different articles on that subject alone.
    Hi many thanks for your info -i have been working on aircraft for the last 30 years and i am now a licensed aircraft engineer b1 and b2
    i have just recently built a 737 throttle quadrant and have decided to carry on and build the full simulator but dont have a lot of experience in this department -i have bought a second hand stepper
    for 8 pounds and iam waiting on 2 cogs to arrive to connect to a pot
    entiometer the force on the pedals are really good without paying out a large amount of money
    thanks again
    cheers dave

  6. #6
    75+ Posting Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    125
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: rudder pedals from an exercise stepper

    Hello Dave.

    Those exercise steppers have a damper on each pedal. Normally, they would not return automatically to a centre position. Do you have method in mind to achieve that?

    Jim.

  7. #7
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    CUPAR FIFE SCOTLAND NEAR ST ANDREWS
    Posts
    163
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: rudder pedals from an exercise stepper

    Quote Originally Posted by deering View Post
    Hello Dave.

    Those exercise steppers have a damper on each pedal. Normally, they would not return automatically to a centre position. Do you have method in mind to achieve that?

    Jim.
    Hi Jim
    Thanks for your reply-
    i wont be self centering at the moment .When you push one pedal away the other one comes towards you its then just a matter of
    connecting a pot to the center pulley already on the stepper then connect to fs via my leo bodnar card-job done.
    cheers dave

  8. Thanks den19 thanked for this post
  9. #8
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    CUPAR FIFE SCOTLAND NEAR ST ANDREWS
    Posts
    163
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: rudder pedals from an exercise stepper

    hi jim i now have the issue of self centering covered with the pedals
    you use 2 pieces of bungy cord under each padal -0when you push one pedal and release it it self centers easy
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuir View Post
    Hi Jim
    Thanks for your reply-
    i wont be self centering at the moment .When you push one pedal away the other one comes towards you its then just a matter of
    connecting a pot to the center pulley already on the stepper then connect to fs via my leo bodnar card-job done.
    cheers dave

  10. #9
    75+ Posting Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    125
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: rudder pedals from an exercise stepper

    Dave, self-centreing is very desirable for rudder pedals. It's good that you found a method.

    Thanks for the update.

    Jim

  11. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: rudder pedals from an exercise stepper

    Hi guys,

    this is prototype of my idea for rudder pedals - general aviation - not particulary for specific aircraft type. Toe brakes and self centering will be included. Costs until now - way bellow 100,- ... one old stepper, a little bit of h/w from local store, one old joystick ...

    IMAG0105.jpgIMAG0106.jpgIMAG0107.jpg