Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

MSFSX with C172(R) throttle not correct...?

Hi all, I'm looking for anyone that can give me some advice on my - admittedly fair basic - setup. I'm learning to fly a C172R and supplementing my real-world flying lessons

For background I have MS FSX with a triple-screen setup with Saitek Rudder pedals, Saitek Yoke, Saitek TPM module and the Cessna trim wheel, and also the Saitek Autopilot panel (Multipanel). I'm also using the IR tracker for 'all-around' views. Notice a theme here?

Anyway, most of the stuff seems to work well enough apart from a couple of annoying snags:

1. The Cessna Trim wheel does not populate the TRIM function in MSX despite the drivers being installed. I see the Cessna Trim Wheel in the 'Devices' panel but when selecting Elevator Trim, and move the wheel to make the assignment it is not 'recognised' as an input.. Why?

2. This is the most annoying. In a REAL C172R, the throttle 'closed' (i.e. all the way out idles at 600rpm, and full in 'open' at around 2500rpm. In MSX however using the Flight One Cessna 172R it wont go above 2000rpm and it seems to jump from 1500rpm to 2000 in the last 1/10th of throttle travel. Of course this means that when climbing I'm struggling to keep a nose-up attitude and not lose airspeed. It's not 'real' and is hampering training efforts.

Lastly, when using the IR Tracker, I can see lots of other folks have a more realistic 'sitting back' position of the virtual cockpit where they see the windscreen and the top 3/4 of the main panel. In mine I see the windscreen but only the top gauges - to see more I have to arch my head back constantly. Does anyone know how to set the configuration so the default is 'further back' in the cockpit?

Very grateful for any assistance you can render,

Mark

Re: MSFSX with C172(R) throttle not correct...?

Mark,

Regarding your throttle problem I ran into almost the exact same problem. I spoke with the folks at Saitek but unfortunately the were of little help. I did find a fix however. I started using FSUIPC to interface all my control axis inputs to FSX. For whatever reason, the native control input in FSX doesn't like the Saitek TPM. But FSUIPC has no problem with it and it allows the throttle to move smoothly and through the full range.

As for the view using the head tracker and Virtual Cockpit, that sounds like a simple matter of zooming back a bit more on the view within FSX.

Thank you Tom, I feel likewise regarding Saitek support - its practially non-existent for such matters. Strange when they do such a good job of marketing the devices in the first place, but anyway..

I have read about FSUIP in the past, perhaps it's time to look at it again, I'll do so. It should certainly make normal flight possible as at the moment the Cessna is nearly impossible to fly at anywhere close to its 'real' behaviour.

On the TrackIR, I have tried zooming out, but as soon as my head moves the view jolts straight back to the defaults. It's as if the new default (i.e. set about a foot or two 'back' in the virtual cockpit) needs to be defined someplace..

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

You're eye point can be adjusted manually in the aircraft.cfg file. Below is an excerpt from the MS FSX ESP (what used to be the SDK).

In the aircraft.cfg file of the plane you are making the adjustment to you will see this heading [views] below is the eyepoint as it relates to the aircraft datum point. The datum point is the 'virtual' center of the aircraft. You can move quite a few things in the cfg file. Anyway you can make a fine adjustment in the [views] area moving your eyepoint to where ever you like or you can adjust the zoom level. This includes up and down.

[views]

The following parameter define the pilot's viewpoint.
    Property

Description

Examples

Aircraft Position relative to datum reference point (eyepoint).
    Airbus A321 ( eyepoint=48.2, -1.35, 1.7 )
    Aircreation582SL ( eyepoint=-0.205052,0.000000,3.604314 )
    Boeing 747-400 (eyepoint = -18.55, -1.97, 10.7 )
    Beech Baron 58 (eyepoint = -8.213, -0.8612, 2.220 )

zoom Zoom the view in or out from the viewpoint. Default( zoom=1.0 )

Just as a note. It would be neat if there was a program that could take your height and make adjustments that way. I find I'm always a little to short in the cockpit and have to adjust using the 'Shift + Enter' or 'Shift + Backspace' Oh I forgot to mention that earlier... That will move your eyepoint around as well. However making the adjustment in the aircraft.cfg is a permanent solution not requiring you to adjust again next time you load up your C172.

You may find this site informative as well. It describes how to get about in the FSX interface including view selection/adjustment..

Flight Simulator X (FSX) Tips and Tricks

The Saitek problem seems hardware related for some reason or the pot let's say is not configured properly in the Saitek software (wierd).

Best of luck with your training..
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Thanks Ron.

For future reference the throttle issue is now resolved, and yes - with FSIUPC. I had to select 'Joystick Calibration', move the axes, then define the start (throttle closed) and throttle full open (end) of the travel from -7040 to 0. For some reason, the last 5mm of travel then jumps from 0 immediately to +7040. Very very odd. Would be nice to have this just done rather than mess about with FSUIPC to do it, and SaiTek don't make it clear that to use this effectively you need to purchase additional software. Anyway, my cessna now goes from 600rpm at idle to 2500rpm at full just like the real one, so I'm happy.

I will experiment with the eyepoint settings now in aircraft.cfg and see what I get. Thanks again!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrebholz View Post
    . . . Would be nice to have this just done rather than mess about with FSUIPC to do it, and SaiTek don't make it clear that to use this effectively you need to purchase additional software. Anyway, my cessna now goes from 600rpm at idle to 2500rpm at full just like the real one, so I'm happy . . .
    Funny thing is I've talked to other people who had no issue with the Saitek TPM. And, when I use FSUIPC to control it I don't get any jump at all I get use of the full range. As far as FSUIPC goes, I have found that I prefer it over the stock FSX joystick controls and now use it to calibrate all my control axis. I've even gone as far as splitting the calibration of my rudder pedals between the rudder axis and the tiller axis to allow for separate sensitivity curves for ground handling vs. in flight on my GA aircraft. It's a great tool for a wide variety of applications

Quote Originally Posted by mrebholz View Post
    The Cessna Trim wheel does not populate the TRIM function in MSX despite the drivers being installed. I see the Cessna Trim Wheel in the 'Devices' panel but when selecting Elevator Trim, and move the wheel to make the assignment it is not 'recognised' as an input.. Why?
    I had the same problem. I found I had to spin the wheel several times before it was recognised in FSX Controls. I also had to delete the several spurious control axis assignments that seemed to have been set up when the Trim Wheel was installed (by default it appears to be assigned to aileron control. Go figure that.)

Testing/calibrating the wheel is also buggy. It looks quite smooth when you instal the driver and test it using the driver instal test facility. But if you test/caibrate it from within FSX Controls it jumps about all over the place. May be a driver problem. On the other hand, it <<seems>> to work OK in the sim. I set it up at 100% sensitivity and zero null zone.

FSX Saitek TPM throttle does not work correctly? - Here is a solution without FSUIPC

2. This is the most annoying. In a REAL C172R, the throttle 'closed' (i.e. all the way out idles at 600rpm, and full in 'open' at around 2500rpm. In MSX however using the Flight One Cessna 172R it wont go above 2000rpm and it seems to jump from 1500rpm to 2000 in the last 1/10th of throttle travel. Of course this means that when climbing I'm struggling to keep a nose-up attitude and not lose airspeed. It's not 'real' and is hampering training efforts.

Wow, how many times have I been led to FSUIPC! NOT necessary.... must be some people who work there trying to make some money.

I just got the TPM and had the problem that none of the travels worked.... always from e.g. 17-80% or so, and thus the a/c was not really controllable.

Do NOT despair.

Please excuse me, I am working on a German version, so am trying to give the menu commands as best as possible.

Go to adjustments for controls..... simple controls is enough and adjust sensitivity to max (127 here) and neutral setting for all axis to 1.

That did it for me, and now I can save the money for FSUIPC.

I hope this helps lots of people.