10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Brainstorming visuals for an 8'x10' room: inputs?

So, now that I have the green light to start mocking up a flight sim "room" (technically, the front half of a one-car garage), I'm looking into ideas. Let me tell you what I have, what I have to work with, and the results that I'd like to achieve... maybe you can tell me what might work, what won't work, and maybe any lessons learned.

What I have:
    - Single PC
    - -- Off-the-shelf HP e9290f
    - -- Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
    - -- 9GB RAM
    - -- Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
    - -- GeForce GTX 260 (1792MB dedicated memory, 3584MB shared)
    - -- -- Dual DVI heads
    - Microsoft FSX
    - Matrox TH2G (digital edition)
    - 3x 24" Acer widescreen LCD
    - 1x 22" LCD (unknown brand)
    - "Flight Deck" with all of the hardware I want/need at the moment (Described here)

What I have to work with:
    Front half of 1-car garage that is 8 feet wide, 8'2" tall, and approximately 10 feet of depth.

What I'd like to start with (and here's where the brainstorming comes in):
    ... I fly single-engine GA only. My flight deck is currently 36"W x 22"D. It is not enclosed, so any projectors I might put up only need to clear my head while in a sitting position. Ideally, I'd like a 180° curved screen, so that I can look to my left and right and see under the wings (or over, depending on airframe type), and a side-by-side seating configuration for a pilot/copilot.

So, what I don't know:
    Using projectors:
    Q1. Can I even squeeze a 180° curved screen into this tight of a space? If so, should I go with two projectors, or 3? What would be the best projector for this short of a throw? What would be the ideal placement -- centered over my head, each pointing at the screen roughly 4 feet away? or, on opposite corners of the room, projecting to ~8' "crossing beams of light"?
    Q2. If I can't get 180, what's the best I can expect? 120 with 2 projectors?

In either case, if I am able to get a curved screen of any size, will I experience any distortion of visuals if I sit off center? i.e
    Q3. Should I stick with a single chair as centered as possible? or,
    Q4. Will 2 side-by-side chairs work without having whacky visual results?

If the space is too tight for projectors, I'm thinking about maybe getting another TH2G, and going for 6 monitors in the following configuration: 5 to "wrap around", and 1 for the instruments. If I end up having to go this route, these 24" monitors seem a little small if I try to sit 2 people side-by-side. So, I'm trying to think which setup would be better...
    Q5. Single seat, centered between 5 monitors, using a fresnel lens set up (Ala Roland's excellent tutorial), or
    Q6. Dual seats, centered between 5 large monitors of some sort (40" LCD TVs?)

So, going from there... any thoughts/advice/pointers/etc.?

Thanks,
    Jimmy

Re: Brainstorming visuals for an 8'x10' room: inputs?

Hi,
    I have a similar dilemma, although I am a long way from sorting out the visuals I am edging towards 3 50" LCD TVs . From what I have read you soon "forget" the bezels are there.
    Allan.

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by notgotaclue View Post
    Hi,
    I have a similar dilemma
    Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, to which of my many dilemma's is yours similar? :^) I assume the small space?

After a bit more research, I think I'm giving up hope of being able to squeze a 180° curved screen with projectors into a 7½' diameter (accounting for screen space), but I still haven't given up complete hope. Even a 42-48" height on the curved display would be acceptable, so it might yet be possible. I still am trying to figure out if a side-by-side setup would be feasible with this type of display (i.e. is sitting "off center" going to distort how things look from the pilot or co-pilot's perspective?).

I agree with you that the "bezels just disappear" when viewing multiple monitors, especially large ones, in a "surround view" setup. I currently run 3x 24" monitors, and in FSX zoomed all the way out, that equates to a roughly 100°FOV, and I do indeed "lose sight of" the bezels. However, I also find myself frustrated with the lack of ability to look out my left/right wing views. Although I do wear a TrackIR, I would much rather have the side-view of a 180°FOV and ditch the TrackIR. I fly strictly single-engine light aircraft (a c208 is "big iron" in my book), so looking left and right is a constant requirement, especially in the pattern and during taxi.

Jimmy

Hi,
    I have a similar dilemma, although I am a long way from sorting out the visuals I am edging towards 3 50" LCD TVs . From what I have read you soon "forget" the bezels are there.
    Allan.
    I'm too early in my build to worry about visuals yet, but will run into the same space issues if I stay on schedule by spring next year. I may have a bit more width but likely still not enough.

I found this (3 NEC Ultra slim bezel 46" LCD's on a triple head) on You tube but haven't dug to deep on the cost. But, it's one way to minimize the bezel issue even further.

Quote Originally Posted by jrowland View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, to which of my many dilemma's is yours similar? :^) I assume the small space?

Jimmy
    The dilemma I have is all of the above.
    My problem is height, I only have 7 feet. The width is 10 feet and the length is 15 feet - so no problems there.
    I have the nose from a real plane and it just fits height wise, so projectors are out of the question (unless I am missing something).
    Just out of interest what angle can I set the LCD screens at?
    At the moment I am using 3 x 24" monitors which are at an angle of around 20deg, If I set them at 45deg, which is what I want for the 50" tv's I have planned then the runway etc is all wrong. They go uphill on the left and right monitor.
    I use Eyefinity with an ATI graphics card for the setup.
    Is there any way I can set them up to 45deg without distorting the view.
    Maybe I should start a new thread.
    Allan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_G_2010 View Post
    I found this (3 NEC Ultra slim bezel 46" LCD's on a triple head) on You tube but haven't dug to deep on the cost.
    I just looked at the cost, and for 3 of them it would cost more than I paid for my new car.
    Mrs Notgotaclue has given the green light for 3 50"tv's but I think she would slap me senseless if they turned up. Then again, she did not specify a price limit.
    Allan.

. . . I think she would slap me senseless if they turned up . . .
    Just be sure the sim pit is weather tight and big enough to sleep in.

You got more floor then me. My room is 8,85'x6,2' but it is really not recommended to have an inch smaller room to stack in a 737 in
    Had to make a mirrored projection to fill the 6,2' wall with one projector, and getting a surround view in there is just not an option. It is just width enough to make the windowframes, but cannot get a TV between windows and the walls.
    I thought I could manage something, but realize it's just to narrow.
    Moving to a bigger house this fall (if we could only find OUR house) and will work with the surround view then.
    Those NEC monitors looked awesome and awesomely expensive