150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

PoKeys 55, using encoders to tune NAV 1

Hello All,

Let me show you a way of tuning your NAV 1 radio in FSX together with PoKeys 55 and encoders. The idea is to configure some encoders in PoKeys, assign a keyboard shortcut and configure these in FSUIPC to change the frequency of the NAV 1 radio.

Connect an encoder to PoKeys, let's say port 13 and port 15. You could also use 13 and 14 or whatever port you like to use. Connect the middle pin to GND and each of the other 2 to 2 PoKeys ports.

Connect the card to your pc and start the PoKeys setup program. Below you can see the configuration I made. I skipped port 14 so that the text is more clearly readable.

-Set port 13 to "Digital input" and check "Encoder", click on "Channel A" and check "Sampling 2x".
    -Next click on "Direct key mapping".
    -Take any key in the "Key down" combo box, but remember which one as we later need it in FSUIPC. I have checked "Shift" and "Ctrl" and "1". So in FSUIPC we connect this to "Ctrl + Shift + 1".
    -Press send to device and start configuring the second port.
    -In "Key down" choose 2, check "Ctrl" and "Shift"
    -Press "send to device" and disconnect the PoKeys and connect the card to your flight simulator pc.

Next it is time to start FSX or FS9 with FSUIPC.

-Open FSUIPC and select the "Key Presses" tab
    -Press the "Set" button and on the keyboard press the buttons you assigned in PoKeys for the first port. In our case it is "Ctrl + Shift + 1". You should see this now in the grey window.
    -Next open the combo box below the "Set"-button and select "Nav1 Radio Whole Dec". This will decrease the whole numbers of the Nav 1 radio.
    -Press OK
    -Do the same thing for the following port we configured in PoKeys. But now we used "Ctrl + Shift + 2".
    -Next again open the combo box below the "Set"-button and select "Nav1 Radio Whole Inc". This will increase the whole numbers of the Nav 1 radio.
    -Press OK and do the test.

Enjoy Wendy
    http://www.flightsimparts.eu
    PoKeys interface cards

2. Thanks Bernie, Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Re: PoKeys 55, using encoders to tune NAV 1

Hi Wendy,

You can also map the encoder attached to the PoKeys device as a joystick button that can be read by the FSUIPC "Button + Switch" tab. This is the same concept as using the keyboard mapping.

Terry

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Terry,

Thanks for sharing, but in my case it is not used as a joystick controller because I'm using the other functions (outputs) as well.

Regards, Wendy
    http://www.flightsimparts.eu
    PoKeys interface cards

10+ Posting Member

Hi Wendy,

I just wanted to make sure you knew that you can use the PoKeys as both a joystick controller and still use the other functions (input and output) at the same time.

Terry