Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job Boeing 747 Flyer's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Which Projector?

Yes, it's another one of these I'm afraid!

I'm simply (or perhaps not so) asking which would be the best projector for me to choose.

I use FSX, and am after a single projector that provides good spread (ie a large surfaced area projected), acceptable resolution, and offers value for money.

I'm looking to spend no more than £450. Firstly, is this article still relavent:

http://www.techradar.com/news/home-c...he-bank-587916

It's over two years old and most of the projectors there are way out of my budget, but there are a few on there which are possible contenders.

If it helps, it's for a 767 simulator. Not that the aircraft would make a difference, that is.

Which projectors are people using? Which is the best for my budget?

Also, is the jump between 720p and 1080p worth it for slight-simulator projecting? The price jump is approximately £200, which is tempting to go for if absolutely necessary, but something I'd like to avoid paying if possible.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers,

Jack

NOTE: I'm only really going to be using the projector for FSX use (or "gaming" use as FSX is classed as a "game" now). I'm not too bothered about movie options, music videos, etc.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Which Projector?

Jack

Doubtless the techies can advise on which type of projector system gives the best picture according to ambient light levels. However, are there any space constraints ie height and distance to your screen?

I ask, as these factors can influence your choice, for example if the screen is close to your cockpit then you may need a short throw projector - if so, then you need to make sure that you can site it high enough to avoid the cockpit roof/windows getting in the way of the projection beam. Most projectors have a graphic scale provided showing throw distance and associated screen size. There again, if you have plenty of space then there is no issue and you can concentrate on the eye candy parameters

Regards

David

Hi David,

Of course, I'm not looking for a "miracle" reply. I know this is a VERY broad area, and incorporates so many factors. I'll try my best to provide as much information as possible.

PS: Can nThusim work with one projector that's projecting onto a curved screen? Ahhhh... So many questions.

I will edit my post as I slowly find out the answers to your questions regarding height and width etc, thanks for bringing that up.

Go short throw (unless you have a biiiiig room), go DLP (better blacks), and go at least WXGA (1280x800)

We move from 1920x1080x3 (three LCD 47") to 3x1280x800 (three WXGA proj). The diferences exists, but (in our case) its so little thing...

And of course, Nthusim works with one projector and curved screen (this is what is designed for) Also immersive display lite, warpalizer, etc.
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

10+ Posting Member

i am also in doubt....Now I have 3x 27" and starting to build cockpit of 737 at my girlfriends house.

3 projectors will be too much because of space constraints.(I think) How would setup of 2 projectors be ? Can one screen be straight in front and the other at lets say 60 degrees ? or should 2 screens be in same angle ? I now I will need shortthrow...anyone who can advise me?

Right, so so far we've concluded that I need Short Throw (the room isn't massive), and DLP.

What's WXGA?

Hello,
    I got the Optoma GT720 WXGA Projector. USD$479

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130563657444...84.m1497.l2648

I think it's great for the money. Only bad thing is that it has no zoom, so you have to move it back and forth to get the right image size. Also using the keystone to angle the image makes the screen a lot smaller so it forces you to move it back more. But overall it has a very short throw so you don't need a big room. Great pj for the money.

How big is your room?

Quote Originally Posted by airberlin View Post
    How would setup of 2 projectors be ? Can one screen be straight in front and the other at lets say 60 degrees ? or should 2 screens be in same angle ? I now I will need shortthrow...anyone who can advise me?
    Two and three projector setup are fine, if you go curved screen. With two LCD screen you always get the runaway in the bezels of both monitors. With two projectors, you can BLEND the joins and have the sensation of just one ultra-wide projection, BUT this cannot be done in several scenarios like nvidia surround (the havent support for 2x1 displays, just 3x1).

The tricky issue, is the needed or three indepents view instead of just one larger front view (just zoomed out) if you dont want to view front things in your lateral views. You have the information about playing with the FLT files, and even a spreadsheet to the calculations on this forum.

I prefer to stay with monitors or TVs instead of projectors if you have not enough space to a curved screen (easier, cheaper...)
    Greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by twisted8 View Post
    Hello,
    I got the Optoma GT720 WXGA Projector. USD$479

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130563657444...84.m1497.l2648

I think it's great for the money. Only bad thing is that it has no zoom, so you have to move it back and forth to get the right image size. Also using the keystone to angle the image makes the screen a lot smaller so it forces you to move it back more. But overall it has a very short throw so you don't need a big room. Great pj for the money.

How big is your room?
    Thanks very much mate, that looks very interesting.

My room isn't massive, and space is rather tight, however at a rough estimate I'd say I'd be able to get 2.5 metres across and 2.5 metres wide.

How large an image can the GT720 project resonably?

IE: Any projector could project from an unlimited distance (for example 500 metres, but it'd look like total rubbish, if any light at all). What's the maximum distance from screen the GT720 can still produce a useable image?

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing 747 Flyer View Post
    Thanks very much mate, that looks very interesting.

My room isn't massive, and space is rather tight, however at a rough estimate I'd say I'd be able to get 2.5 metres across and 2.5 metres wide.

How large an image can the GT720 project resonably?

IE: Any projector could project from an unlimited distance (for example 500 metres, but it'd look like total rubbish, if any light at all). What's the maximum distance from screen the GT720 can still produce a useable image?
    You can do calculations here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm
    The green zone, is where the light is right enough

With this calcs, and the room measurements you can get the draw of your room and screen situation and size.
    Greetings!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast