Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Shrink wrapping a shell??

I have been playing around with sketchup trying to design a basic shell. This is just a prototype that I'm not happy with, I'm going to start again with what I have learned so far. What I have been thinking about is how to cover the shell once I'm done and came up with the idea of shrink wrapping it like they do for storing boats through the winter. I thought that if I added enough strapping to the shell it might look alright? The shell will split in two down the middle so both sides would be shrink wrapped individually. I know I would still see the strapping through the wrap but I'm ok with that. Any thoughts on this idea? I have a local company that does this work, I will call them and see what it might cost, I'll let you know.

Re: Shrink wrapping a shell??

My initial thoughts -
    Wouldn't it be very fragile and prone to damage? It wouldn't take much to put a tear in it, ruining the entire effect.
    Also how hot will it get inside the bubble with all the computer equipment and sweaty pilot, could even be hot enough to melt it.
    Those things sprang to mind, but no doubt I am talking nonsense.
    Allan.

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Aircraft were once covered in cloth/fabric. It was a primitive form of fiberglass. Shrink wrapping is only as strong as it's weakest part. A puncture or a tare will only get bigger (perhaps right away). I would suggest you do what these guys Norwegian737project are doing it's a bit of a boat building technique and will be stronger then plastic wrap. The smaller the pit the easier that process will be as well.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

I have to say your idea is an interesting one! I envy anyone who thinks 'outside the box' and looks for alternative ways and means.... keep us updated on your investigations!

Best Regards
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Thanks for the comments guys. When I get home next week I will try and get a piece of the plastic and do some tests to see how strong or usefull it might be. I'll keep you posted on what I find. I did do some more work on version 2 of my generic cockpit plan, hopefully I'm not to many versions away from a workable model.

I took the nose section off (didn't look right) and added some ribs over the cockpit

Shawn