10+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

flight models and generic cockpit

Okay this has been on my mind and I just want some opinions or clarifications.

I posted earlier this month in the intro forum about my plans to build a diamond42.

however, while i'm in the R&D phase I need a couple q's answered. (I have purchase mikes book and waiting its arrival) but just can't wait and need to put pen to paper before I forget.

some of my q's are random and illogical and i am sorry if i don't make sense.

Anyways...

Is it possible to have the system (i.e sim-avionics)of a 737 but the flight model of a Cessna 172 (or any other aircraft for that matter). can that be done??

also... i'm contemplating building a single seat fighter jet inspired 737 aircraft and want to know if its possible to achieve (or what problems i might face)

i.e the overhead panel of 737 functions and switches, rather then hanging "overhead" i could have all the switches and knobs integrated on a side console etc???

also with regards to pc's could i have the components built into the back of the mip and have the power switch attached to say the battery switch of the plane?

and lastly monitor options; can they be custom built?? say i want 4:3 8" monitor

Thanks for reading-any help I can get would be appreciated

10+ Posting Member

Re: flight models and generic cockpit

I don't see a problem building a single seat fighter based on a 737. Most newer aircraft have glass cockpits so the displays from one could well work for another. You could take the overhead/pedestal controls from a 737 and incorporate them into a side console such as a fighter. Most airplanes share the same controls, but there are alot of controls that won't be used.

The only problems I see are that you will need to "program" the controls/displays to each aircraft you tend to fly. There is also the immersion factor, you won't feel like your flying a certain aircraft unless you build a specific type of cockpit (at least that's how I feel).

For the monitor, have a look at this site. They sell touch screen monitors for use in carpc applications. http://store.mp3car.com/Xenarc_800YV..._p/mon-065.htm

10+ Posting Member

okay, but how would i be able to adapt sim-avionics "suit" to replicate the flight model of a cessna 172?? and like you said alot of switches/systems wont be shared by all aircraft so how would I tackle that problem?? i.e apu is not needed in a 172, therefore not activating it or any other system for that matter, would interfere with other functions or processors of that aircraft?

You can assign switch function to a specific aircraft in FSUIPC but then you have to remember what switch does what based on the aircraft you are flying. For something like a simple switch panel you could build build different covers that have each switch function listed on them and just swap them out. For more complicated panels it would get a little confusing? For me I tend to fly helicopters and twin piston aircraft so it cuts down the issue a bit. Maybe try to narrow down the scope of you project a bit?

Shawn

10+ Posting Member

Thanks for the input shawn, I will def be needing to narrow it down. I suppose I can't have my cake and eat it aswell.

anyways I have lots of reading to do and i suppose to be fair to myself and others i will try read up before asking anymore q's my head is going a thousands miles with ideas as you could imagine.

10+ Posting Member

I have question in my mind and hope someone can answe

Basically let's say I have designed my cockpit layout and I wanted to use the g1000 as my instrument panel/software. Iv noticed lots of planes from single engine to jets use them. So..

a. How does flight sim know what type of aircraft I am flying or how do I tell flight which aircraft I want to i.e 172 or mustang.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

You just load up which aircraft you want to fly at the beginning of fs and you just load up your external gauge panels after this (ie project magneta etc)...

(For example use a Cessna 172 model with an external Garmin G1000 panel)
    Last edited by CessnaGuy; 08-05-2011 at 06:19 AM.
    GA or the Highway!

10+ Posting Member

so alex what your saying is, if I load a 172 in fsx and the avionics (i.e PM g1000) PM would automatically recognise the aircraft loaded and therefore adjust its parameters accordingly???- i.e the engine rpm gauge for example would be replicated and airspeed etc. moreover if i loaded a 737 in fsx then PM (g1000) would recognise this and again and set the parameters??? again engine indications and airspeed tape etc???

I figured instead of starting new threads unnessessarly i would just keep a progress of me learning all in one forum, as a form on an online diary . hope that would be okay with the moderators

ps still awaiting the delivery of mikes flight book, (im sure that book will answer alot of my basic questions)