10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile Hi, new here, I'll be asking alot of questions

My name is Harry, callsign HAVOC.

I found this site while looking for info on a Boeing (737/747) flight sim cockpit.
    I have Microsoft FSX and I'm just playing around, not really doing any flying. Trying to control an aircraft with a mouse and keyboard/joystick isn't much fun.

So I set out to build/learn how to build a cockpit, and here I am.

I would like to be able to use this sim with the Airbus also, if that's possible.
    I was thinking the A-10 Warthog, but that might be a stretch.

Would a budget of $5,000 US be pushing it?

Thanks for any info.

300+ Forum Addict

Re: Hi, new here, I'll be asking alot of questions

Hi Harry. Welcome.

People take a wide variety of approaches to building sims. Some are photo realistic, others are more casual. Some consist of purchased modules, some are built from scratch. The specific approach you take will determine the needed budget.

Looking at the projects of sim builders helps give an idea of the approach you might want to take. With more detail about your approach you can better cost out your project.

There's list of sim project sites here: http://mikesflightdeck.com/simpit_li...pit_links.html

10+ Posting Member

Thanks a million for the link. I want a full width instrument panel with throttle and yoke, maybe add an overhead later/pedestal.
    I was looking to buy the metal parts online, not sure how I'll do if I tried to build it out of wood. I also don't have any work space (apartment).
    Assembly/soldering isn't going to be a problem, I'm up for the challenge.

HI Harry ...
    buliding a home made flight sim goes like this(simplified) :
    1-Collect Info ..read as much as you can and it takes 30% of the time of the project
    2-design (3d or by hand ) 50%~
    3-build .. and ofcourse 20% on building

Time ... really depends on what kind or what level of technology is used in all of the previuos phases

there is a figure(image) by Oxford as i remember represanting the time and cost in relation to linear technology ;more CAD(computer aided design) less Manufacturing costs and time But more time and cost on design

SO 5,000$ are more than enough when you know what to do with'em
    Good luck and remember earning a pilot licence in that money would be more benefical than spending it on a hobby

sam

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Hi Harry,

If you're prepared to wait, parts will be available for a price you want. If you're wanting a sim within a couple of months (not recommended) and you go out and buy all new plug and play parts this will be much more convienient and far less time however you loose the 'hobby' part of the build which i think is most enjoyable. Waiting and doing research before purchases and making sure you have the design and aims in your head at all times you will ensure your success.

I would certainly suggest a good joystick and throttle such as the saitek X52 which is great and relatively good value.

furthermore i would personally recommend the boeing sims as they have parts more freely available at lower prices whereas other aircraft will be more expensive not in the main stream and you will need to have more skills to make things yourself. That's only a decision you can make though.

Wishing you well on your simbuilding journey...
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by HAVOC View Post
    Thanks a million for the link. I want a full width instrument panel with throttle and yoke, maybe add an overhead later/pedestal.
    I was looking to buy the metal parts online, not sure how I'll do if I tried to build it out of wood. I also don't have any work space (apartment).
    Assembly/soldering isn't going to be a problem, I'm up for the challenge.

I was cutting and drilling some PVC board today and it got me thinking about this post. If you want a material that is easy to cut, drill, is strong, and can be painted you should look at PVC board. I cut the thinner stuff with a utility knife and when you drill it, it just pulls out long curls of plastic, no dust. It comes in many different brand names and some of it is even heat moldable. I buy it in either black or white but it comes in a few more different colours, a light sanding with 200 grain sandpaper and it takes a coat of plastic spray paint quite well. It's about the same price as a sheet of decent 1/2 inch plywood at the same size.

Shawn

10+ Posting Member

Thanks Geremy, I won't be buying anything for a while. Still in the research phase. I'm 99% sure I want to build a 737NG, but Id like to be able to use this cockpit with other aircraft (if that's even possible).
    I also don't want to buy plug-n-play parts. I want to do all the soldering/assembly myself. I also do not want to build the panels out of wood. I'll buy a metal MIP from one company and look into what else I need.

I don't know if there are any companys that sell, say a foreward overhead, but in kit form. A "kit" that comes with all the panels, switches, buttons, wiring and lights. You just need to assemble it.