Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Cessna Skymastr 337

Among the flight models I'm considering for my generic cessna pit is the Cessna Skymaster 337. I'm looking for a good FSX version, but it seems there's not much out there. At least not that I've found so far.

Has any one had any experience with aircraft from "Flight SIm Developers?

http://www.fsd-international.com/Hangar/C337/index.htm

Or, do you know of other Skymaster's out there?

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Re: Cessna Skymastr 337

Carenado is coming out with one shortly and if his previous work is any indication it should be state of the art.. Check Carenado's Site under Upcoming Projects. As it looks like the exterior model is finished. Can't give a date but I'm looking forward to it too. My Cessna 185 pit can easily be turned into a 337 pit by adding a CH throttle (modified for the twin engined 337)

If you want to get the exact moment I would suggest you join him on Facebook he has a I guess you could call it a blog on Facebook.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Thanks! I have a few Carenado aircraft already and really like them. Didn't realize they had a facebook page, I'll have to check that out. I'm toying with a pit option that would allow me to easily swap out the single engine slide/vernier style controls with a lever style twin when desired. I love flying my low slow 172 and 182, but have found I like the performance of the baron as well so I am looking at the skymaster as a cessna fit to my 172 fuselage. It's a stretch, I know, but it's all in the land of make believe so why not.

It's just a good happenstance that the 185 and 337 share quite a few of the same things. I hadn't thought of doing a 'Dual' Cessna pit before as there wasn't 'unless you go back to FS2004' and the FSD one you mentioned. But Carenado makes great stuff. So I'm pretty excited. Seems he's making planes that I have a thing for one after the other. He's kind of the Mr. Rork on my Fantasy Island

I went looking for a PDF version of the POH. So far nothing but I'm pretty good at finding such things. Parts Catalog is always a golden egg of info too.

Differences include not only the throttle group but also the engine gauges would be doubled for a for a Twin. Depending on the version of the Skymaster there are other differences too. I don't think he will be releasing a military version (O2) as that's not his style. If you're doing a projected cockpit gauge group then it's just a question of setting up a the appropriate 2D panel to reflect that. Engine gauges don't require adjustment (from the cockpit anyway) so they are only displays. Other nav and system gauges would be common to both so not a problem.

The 'tunnel' as it's called in the Skywagon is the only other difference. From the look of the Skymasters interior there is a pedestal (Central Console) where all the trims and throttle group are located. I could perhaps make one and swap it out with the tunnel as they could be interchangeable to a degree. The Skymaster also has retracts. As I'm also building an amphibious aircraft cockpit they both share that to a degree.

Since you've started the thread anything I find on the 337 including the impending release by Carenado I'll post in here.

Cheers
    Ron

Thanks! I'll do the same. I started out with only the 172 in mind and purchased a 172N fuselage. Since then I've started to think about how much utility I could get out of it with a few mods as long as I wasn't a stickler for precise replication. Not that I want to emulate a 737 in my 172 fuselage, but to have a little variety within the reasonable bounderes created by the the 172 shell will expand its usefulness and value for me. So a 172, 182, the 337, etc. seem within reach.

I've been wrestling with the Instrument panel design since long before the 337 idea came along. I almost went Glass Cockpit but have since steered away from that. As you said the engine instruments are the big variable. I'm having trouble finding the 10" LCD's that will fit in the existing panel, and would almost rather go with USB hardware based gauges. But, maybe a hybrid is in order: Hardware for the common gauges in front of the pilot and LCD for the engine gauges in front of the co-pilot.

That sounds like a plan. I've been thinking of doing something similar to that as well. In as much as I can't add an LCD screen below the yoke column. I've been thinking of how many instruments I could actually build to do the job of the LCD. As the engine gauges are just a display they seem the easiest to make as the only input is that from FSX itself. The LCD radio stack seems like a logical way of making the most of both worlds. The seven segment display could be rather complex to build and expensive to buy. The display can be generated without looking 'LCDish' and work quite well with a well made input matrix/template over top.

Engine gauges can become something else for the 'non twin' aircraft we're flying.

There are quite a few paper versions of the parts catalog and POH but non I can find in download so far. The other being quite plentiful and not to pricey could make it an ebay adventure. I may wait to see what Carenado's version includes then I can point myself to the appropriate models. As there are quite a few.

337 A through H
    T337 (Turbo)
    Super Skymaster. (Pressurized)

I'm not one to buy specific parts to match as a Cessna is a Cessna pretty much. However you do need to have somethings that are unique to make the flight experience well unique to each aircraft.

The 337 was the first model airplane I had as a kid so that is the connection I have to it. I also when I was 18 went to a nearby airport and took a series of pictures about a roll or so (remember film hehe) of a Skymaster that was parked on the ramp. So I've had a thing for the twin boomed twin engined bird for some time.

I know I could take a CH Throttle and modify it for the Twin without to much of a change. I would probably build a box that would cover the push pull unit and appropriate handles (out of wood then painted). There are also a ton of articles out there for building such a twin-engined throttle quad and so it wouldn't be to hard to make one from scratch.

Just looking at airliners.net there are some really cool paint schemes out there too so it's getting me pretty jazzed about it. Just have to wait grrrr for Carenado and see what versions he brings to the party. I'm sure it will come with a POH of it's own and other data to enhance the model.

By the way as you mentioned the Baron 58 there is a pretty cool builders site that I linked to above that has a great deal of info you may find quite interesting.

Baron 58 Cockpit Simulator

Cheers
    Ron

Carenado just added 10 new images for the Skymaster on his Facebook Page. Looks like it's going to be HD (High Def Textures and greater detail inside and out). My mouth is already watering...

10+ Posting Member

Ron,

I am one(?!) day away from finishing a generic GA twin TQ. I will post some pics over the weekend. It is running on 2 hacked joystick boards, and so far tests have been satisfactory. I will share the plans with everybody who needs it. I have spent ± 500-00 ZA Rand(± US $70) on it. You can cut and modify it to your heart's content. I personally think there could be a lot of improvements to be made

A lot of my inspiration came from www.baron58.com. I "plagiarised" from the pics on the site to complete and design my TQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie View Post
    Ron,

I am one(?!) day away from finishing a generic GA twin TQ. I will post some pics over the weekend. It is running on 2 hacked joystick boards, and so far tests have been satisfactory. I will share the plans with everybody who needs it. I have spent ± 500-00 ZA Rand(± US $70) on it. You can cut and modify it to your heart's content. I personally think there could be a lot of improvements to be made

A lot of my inspiration came from www.baron58.com. I "plagiarised" from the pics on the site to complete and design my TQ.
    Thanks! Looking forward to pics and details!

Me too.. I was thinking the same thing 'using joysticks to make the TQ'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast