Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Cessna Skymastr 337

Quote Originally Posted by Ronson2k9 View Post
    Me too.. I was thinking the same thing 'using joysticks to make the TQ'
    I got the electronics for the first set of rudder pedals I built by gutting a $35 Logitech joystick. It works reasonable well and if you don't believe you'll need any more inputs then it provides it's a good cost savings. I needed three axis for the rudder pedals so I had a 4th axis, a top hat switch, and 12 buttons to use for other stuff. Those rudder pedals are part of my desktop sim and I used the 4th axis for one of my trims, the top hat switch for my fuel selector, and the buttons for my comm panel audio selector, my DME Nav1/2 select, the AP master, the Nav/GPS selector, and the parking brake.

If, however, you think you may need more than the number of axis or buttons from the typical joystick you may find a USB board like the one that Leo Bodnar makes Ultra Precision Joystick Controller BU0836A is actually less expensive on a per input basis. IT provides 8 axis, 32 buttons, and a top hat. I'll actually be using 2 to three of them for my Cessna pit.

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Oh I know. Just from a simplicity standpoint as my 'primary' is a Cessna A185F so I need to be able to connect and disconnect pretty easily.

I plan on using one for the tunnel (Rudder & Stab trim, Wing & Cowl Flaps - 4 axis, Fuel Selector, Emergency Gear Pump - 2 axis, Fuel Cutoff valve, Water Rudder retract). Then one for the Rudders themselves. Only the pilot side has tow brakes so 1 axis for the brakes and one for the rudder then another pair for the yoke + assorted buttons (AP Disengage and PTT). They will mostly be pots and or encoders connected to Leo's cards. Leo's card is not that great with encoders so I may need to make an adjustment to that but not impossible. They are somewhat designed to work with a pot so an encoder is a bit of bonus.

Don't know if there is a emergency gear pump on the 337 but probably.

Cheers
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

10+ Posting Member

Here it is. It is running on 2 Genius F23 boards. The pics do show the platform at the bottom where the boards will be fixed. The whole construction is 180 mm high, 195 mm long and 140 mm depth. All 8 pots are used, 2 each for throttle, pitch and prop, and 1 each for rudder and elevator trim. Sorry about the quality, cellphone pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice work on the throttle group. Looks like it would fit right in the 337..

BTW.. The Carenado 337 is nearing completion. Don't have a date yet but perhaps before school returns in few weeks. It's in finalizing currently.

Cheers
    Ron

Carenado's Cessna 337 Skymaster is currently in Beta testing. Some real 337 pilots are taking care of that. So it shouldn't be long now. I would say early September perhaps before labor day. From the night time screens looks amazing. I love night flying as well. Can't do much of that in float ops in the 185. Wheels down it's not bad (on land of course). Floats are too dangerous at night.

I'll post again when the 337 becomes available. Should be incredible though. In the meantime I'm going to try to dig up some more info on the Skymaster.

Cheers
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronson2k9 View Post
    Carenado's Cessna 337 Skymaster is currently in Beta testing. Some real 337 pilots are taking care of that. So it shouldn't be long now. I would say early September perhaps before labor day. From the night time screens looks amazing. I love night flying as well. Can't do much of that in float ops in the 185. Wheels down it's not bad (on land of course). Floats are too dangerous at night.

I'll post again when the 337 becomes available. Should be incredible though. In the meantime I'm going to try to dig up some more info on the Skymaster.

Cheers
    Ron
    The Wait is killing me . . .

Thanks for the update!!!

I've been very impressed with the other Carenado aircraft. If this one rises to the level of the others, my pit will for sure have modular engine gauges and controls for a twin or single.

That adds another level of complexity to the build, but I think it will be well worth the effort.

Yep me too. It's a real looker but it's in HD so don't know if there will be a frame hit with it or not. Most likely not but I've never had a HD aircraft on my system before so.. The wait continues..

In the mean time. I have found a few things online. One is this nice drawing of the 337 for those wanting to build a pit for it. Pay attention to both the scale and the cross-sections this will give the cockpit size and shape.

I also have the sales brochure for 1976 Skymaster. I'll put that here when I get it converted to a PDF. It has a ghosted view of the Skymaster and a pretty good 2d panel photo. It's a bit different from other Cessna's as it's got all the switches right around the yoke. Seems a bit of bother to have them there. The POH and Parts Catalog are available off of Ebay pretty reasonably. For some reason thought the POH's from the 70's (mid to late 70's) are way expensive. Don't know why that is. Should be the best time for Cessna (more planes = more manuals = Less rare = cheaper). There like $200US+ a bit out of wack to me as the manual has to follow the plane so if it's being sold there is no plane to go with it.

Still trying to work out a plan to add the twin engine controls to my single engine Cessna. Not quite there yet. I may build a new center console that would encompass the throttle and elevator trim and fuel selection and the like. That would mean the 'Tunnel' as it's called for the 185 would need to be removable. Rudders seem to be the same though.

Cheers
    Ron

IT HAS ARRIVED!!!

Carenado C337H Skymaster

Time to go check with the chief accountant to see if I can download it tonight.

Found this YouTube showing it posted on their facebook page:

Not fare you beat me to it.. LOL... :

Loaded it late last night and got a couple hours in this morning. Looks great!!! Strange tendency to yaw to the right though. Didn't expect that with the engines in line and counter rotating. I only have a single throttle control on my desktop pit and I don't believe the 337 has any type of auto sync. I wonder if I need to tweak the engines individually??? Not sure

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast