Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hello from a tyro from mid Wales, UK...

First post, so a big "HI" to everyone.

Been simming for a few years but the home build area is a new one to me. I'm starting with the idea that I can modify an old joystick to build a very basic collective/cyclic. After a bit of reading up on the topic, I've gone for an OpenCockpits approach - the Analogue Axes card, with its USB interface, looked promising as it should be reckognised directly by the sim (FSX in my case).

I know I'm going to make a lot of mistakes (well, that's how you learn, I guess) so I thought I'd better get in touch with those of you who've trodden this path before me!

Before going any further, can you point me to the best part of the Forum for me to post my questions, please? And any suggestions or comments on my approach would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Cheers - Dai.

Re: Hello from a tyro from mid Wales, UK...

Welcome Dai,

Great to see another Welshman on these forums. Don't worry about making mistakes as you have said yourself that's how you learn. Iv'e made some terrible mistakes over the years with my simpit building. It usually involves a drill. Drilled through my finger a while back trying to drill a pilot hole into a piece of MDF for a Simkits circuit board. Sent the wrong CAD file to a laser cutting company, that was another daft one. Ended up with piece of aluminium that was completely useless to my project. All part of the process and the fun of this hobby in my opinion.

Good luck with your project. I've heard a lot of good stuff about opencockpits stuff. Are you going to buy the boards or make them yourself?

Cheers

Rhydian

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Now then, Rhydian - seem to remember the RJ name from fsdeveloper? Thanks for your reply.

I've taken the plunge with OC - the board and some components came today - bl**dy expensive delivery, but the card looks good. Hope to start fitting the analogue inputs over the weekend. Also need to sort out the 'ergonomics' - i.e. how to make the levers and sticks, etc.

I take it you've not used OC cards yourself?

Hwyl/Cheers - Dai.

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

hello Dai.........
    if you're ever near Oswestry, give me a call. always time to have a coffee and go over inputs/outputs and gadgets
    regards

ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge