Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Link2fs_FSX_inOut. Anything about it. Idea's bugs etc

300+ Forum Addict

Re: Link2fs_FSX_inOut. Anything about it. Idea's bugs etc

There's nothing quite like two people separated by a common language. *laughs*

AFAIK, it _always_ works one of two ways:

hardware <---> glue interface software <---> flight simulator

...or...

hardware <---> flight simulator

The glue layer could be based on SimConnect, FSUIPC, the MSFS Gauges SDK or the X-Plane Plug-In SDK.

Typically, the only time there is no "glue layer" involved is when the simulator already "knows" about the hardware. This typically only covers COTS controllers like those from CH, Saitek, etc.

Are we both sufficiently confused yet? *laughs*

BTW Jim, great job on the Link2FS software. One of these days I've got to actually try it out. Hopefully sometime in Feb. (being sick sucks)

ttyl!

g.

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Geeze Gene ,, that's no good ,,, I didn't know you were sick.
    Hope ya get well soon young fella ,, with Xmas just around the corner, it's not a good time to be sick ,, well ,, any times not a good time either !!

Look after yourself Gene and mend quickly.

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Guys been having a play day with Jims link2fsx and making steady progress i now have all versions working ( as far as my current test hardware setup will allow anyways) but seem to have come unstuck when trying to use my Rotary encoders ( E-bay Via sure electronics ) i know im doing something wrong but having tunnel vision and so cant see the wood for the trees sorta thing -- am i correct in saying that you can directly connect rotary encoders to the arduino uno or mega using jims software and demo pde or doo i need to mopdify the demo pde and add an encoder section bofore the input is sent to the keys part of the program ( sorry if this is obvious guys ) im just anxious to move this along as i've had all the required parts and want to start posting my efforts here ( working efforts that is ) finally getting to understand the methodology behind the key input designations and need to start printing hard copies of the posts -- i realise the info is there im just missing it ps Demo Program Works Test Breadboard circuit does just what jims describes so before i use my CNC machine to route my test pcb ( no more breadboard LOL ) i'd just like some tips sampl;e applications using the arduino+link2fsx ( PS just ordered another Mega card for my Autopilot unit ( for further down the road after Radio panel fully built and tested ) oh oh by the way do any of you guys have issues with com port not being detected sometimes when pluging in Arduino based modules or having to change comports to get module working ( by that i mean having built a arduino based module as a sort of plug and play item will it retain the usb allocation or will they need to reallocated as and when they are pluged in before fsx will see them )

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Things are really progressing ,, great stuff.

Now the rotary encoder thing ,, I don't think from memory any of the "demo" PDE's I've released with my various programs actually cover rotary encoders ,, But yes ,,, you hook the rotary encoder directly to the Arduino and (in my case) using Keiths library. Of course you need to code the PDE to suit what you want it to do.

Have a solid read of this thread ,,,,
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...S-and-the-like
    and read the doc's etc included with Keith's download.
    Both of which you've probably already done but I need to follow the "steps" thru.

If things don't fall into place for ya ,,, I'll do a demo PDE (in the rotary encoder thread) and include 2 rotary encoders so you can see how to include them into a project if anyone needs it. ... Let me know ??

The USB thing ,,, typical Windows thing ,, It happens to me too with "pen drives" very annoying but as I type this I cant remember how the heck I fix it ??? (don't get old )
    At the end of the day ,, it's always good practice to use the same USB port for the same item, or so I'm told.

Good stuff on the CNC machine ,, it would be neat to have one of them ,, I can think of heaps of uses for them in our hobby.

See how you go ,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Jim Big thank you again for the assist , i hear waht you say about reading the stuff thoroughly cos for me it takes 2 or so readings for the penny to drop , will definetly take on board that tip eagerness to crack on was my excuse LOL the reason i mentioned the rotary thing was that i cam across a curious hardware glitch in that i naively connected my rotors encoder to your demo program using pins 14 - 15 thinking i could increment the radio display ( D'oh Homer simpson moment there ) anyways the reading were changing incrementaly but erratically jumping from standby to Normal whilst incrementing ( Ok OK at this point i knoew i messed up ) anyways i re-assigned the key codes to + and Minus respectivly ( to increment the digits currently in focus ) and found that by disconnecting one of the encoder channels i could increment and decrment the display seqeuntially weird or what ???? will post a video ( Stop Laughing ) im a wanna build one sort o guy mechanics ,cad, etc no problem progeamming ( hmmmmm lots to be desired).. that offer of basic sample PDE for encoders would be great if im not pushing my luck . Cheers Jim --- Off to re-read the posts again LOL
    Last edited by wannabeaflyer; 01-18-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: finger trouble again

150+ Forum Groupie

i feel such a fool you explained all there i the post and the code as well d'oh - my fault as always, mate just getting it printed out and code to read at leisure . well dont say i did not tell you so LOL more in depth reading more bits falling into place Geeeesh this guy ( Me) makes hard work of stuff. ( Part of modern generation , as in manual manuals wot manuals LOL more reading yields answers to my silly encoder assumptions. ref earlier post. it also goes along way to explaining my erratic display readings (My Key assignments were rubbish --- hence rubbish in rubbish out scenario ) will try not to drive you mad in future Jim excellent work and documentation only if you read it fully

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345