Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Link2fs_FSX_inOut. Anything about it. Idea's bugs etc

10+ Posting Member

Re: Link2fs_FSX_inOut. Anything about it. Idea's bugs etc

Smashing - thanks for that, Jim! I was convinced it was all my doing.

Yes, of course you are right - it was the keyboard/language settings of this strange country that was giving me the comma. My computer has returned to observing the Queen's English!
    Oh well, atleast you can add the problem to your FAQ list...

I'll get back to it now and see what else I can break!

Keep on truckin',
    Mark

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Hi Guys,,, Just updated the first post in this thread to reflect the new release of Link2fs_FSX_inOut_v1.
    Have a play and make sure I havent bust it ????

If you have already installed the beta version there are only 2 files you need to copy over and they are the "Link2fs_FSX_inout_v1.exe" and the "profile1.io4".

I made a page for it ....
    www.jimspage.co.nz/fsx_inout.htm

Have fun and let me know if there are any problems ,,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

10+ Posting Member

Hello again Jim.

Thanks for your continuing work. Hope all is well.

Here's a poser for you - I just tried v.1 with code that worked for beta3, but get garbage returned from fsx_inOut.

I get this on Ground Speed and IAS, so it isn't just IAS (which I am working with).

The speed should be 277, for example, but in v.1 I get 330, next pulse 808, next pulse 391. Incorrect mess yet OK in the FSX_inOut UI.

I fire beta3 back up and it's working fine. Any ideas? My Arduino code is similar in getting the data as your included example - except that I need to split each digit for the 7-segment display.

Please let me know if you have an idea.

Back to the Arduino Rollercoaster!
    Cheers,
    Mark

EDIT: Oh how annoying - v1 now works and I have no idea how I fixed it!
    What I have noticed is that in FSX_inOut v1, in the Data Sent To Com Port field, is that all the selected data items are appended e.g. V319W277 for V Ground Speed and W Air Speed Indicated, except for the c Current Mach item seems to be sent in a different pulse.It is never appended to other data. Maybe this is by design?
    Last edited by keeprighton1974; 07-19-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: It now works!

Shoot to the top of the class Mark ,,, good spotting. First of all there is very little error checking and its always possible that the serial data could turn to garbage (always at the start) and then everything turns to custard after that. This is always a possibility but basically rare with my playing. I think your garbage was caused (probably) by the error in the mach programming within my program.

The "current mach" thingy ,, totally one of my senior moments as I left out some code for it and also the coordinator ball thingy... All fixed now and I've uploaded to my site version "1a" which has both of them fixed. You will need to download again (refresh ??) and make sure you get "link2fs_fsx_inout_v1a.zip" and the date on the GUI is 20 July 2011. The change only effects those two things.

I hope Tony spots this ,, he's using the coordinator ball thing in his mission. (You'll have to download v1a also)

Re the mach thing ,,, it doesnt go thru the "+ & -" loop as I presumed that it should never go negative ???? Let me know if I've got that wrong.

Errors in general ,,, There will be more hick-ups as we go along as I'm relying on guys like yourself to bring them forward. Previously, before releasing anything I spent ages testing and testing ,,, huge boring job for me and my mates, just trying every possible combination of things. With all the variables in these sorts of programs, it just wasn't on to go thru that routine ,,,, soooo,,, thanks to everyone for their patience.
    Any bugs will be fixed pronto. !!!!

Hope we're all fixed now Mark ,,, Jim

25+ Posting Member

. I hope Tony spots this ,, he's using the coordinator ball thing in his mission. (You'll have to download v1a also)
    Yea, I noticed... But plenty of other stuff to experiment with for now..

In the encoder thread David (Thanks David) bought up about "FSXinOut" not keeping up with the data to be sent to the Arduino while the encoder was turned fast. Initially this surprised me as I had used pulse switches (12 position) with a medium sized knob and I never had any trouble.
    Well,, after getting back to encoders I struck the same thing ,,, no data until the "keys" section had done its thing. After digging into this, checking every bit of code ,,, I found the culprit,, 1 line of code !!!!! After fixing it, the whole thing "took off" and is a wee racer. Data both ways and no perceivable delay. Of course there is always the extreme case but with using a 30 indent encoder and still having the board "doing its thing" (the default FSXinOut PDE) I couldn't fault it.

At the moment, I need to get back to it and fix it properly for distribution which wont happen for a couple of days ,, I'm just letting you know its "in hand" ,, a known bug (Temporary) and fixable.

Thanks Guys ,,, Jim

I sneaked this thru as I'll be busy the next couple of days. Rotary encoders now work faster and the data is "live" back to the Arduino.

If you have a previous install ,,, the only file you need to extract is the "Link2fs_FSX_inOut_v1b.exe" and overwrite your old "v1a" file.

Depending on your setup,, there are two things to keep in mind.
    1/. If the keystroke has trouble registering thru to FSX,, have a play with the delay options.
    2/. If it appears slow to register on your Arduino LCD ,, have a hard look at any delay commands that are in your PDE. (All the data might be just backing up in the buffer)

I changed the link in the first post on this thread. (Refresh ??)

Good luck Guys ,,, Jim

10+ Posting Member

Thanks for this Jim,

I am about to try 1b, but with 1a I did have a lag - the output on my 7-segment display was behind the panel readout in fsx if I started turning the encoder fast. I overcame this by up-ing the delay in fskeys, but it's not a great solution. I do have a few delay lines in my code which I think are necessary for multiple 7-segment displays. Will try to cut them down.

Also, I send the keystroke from your program to FSUIPC and then to FSX. I thought that this would allow me to backup and export settings to a new PC more easily. Am I introducing further lag this way?

Off to give 1b a shot. Thanks, as always, for all your work. Will report back my findings!

Cheers,
    Mark

150+ Forum Groupie jonesthesoftware's Avatar

Hi Jim
    Excellent bit of software--so useful. i used it with a Velleman 8055 card back in the early days to make a "proof of concept" model for an electric 3DOF model.
    Reading the various messages here I wondered if you 'd considered getting your software to accept data from the serial port and putting it back in to FS on another computer. That is to say Output the data via the serial port of your "master" FS computer, using your software, into the serial port of a second computer where your software (or FSUIPC) pops the master data into a second copy of FS. This would be a fantastic bit of software as it allows for spreading your instruments and displays over 2 computers in synch. (better still of course would be ethernet).
    AT the moment I use Wideview but it's only good for the outside scenery. I have to drive my 4 monitors from one PC for all the MIP instruments.

regards
    geoff

300+ Forum Addict

Just FYI, you can set the baud rate on the Arduino to 250000 without issue. The USB interface can technically support rates up to 3Mbit/sec, but 250000 "baud" is the highest you can reasonably go with a 16Mhz CPU and a 0% error rate.

g.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast