Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    25+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: My Simworld MIP Panel Full Kit (Advanced) Arrived.

Hi Declan. You might be able to mount the MCP, EFIS and Glareshield to the MIP directly. It is a bit of a challenge depending on the units themselves you have (which I'm not familiar with). I saw some pics from another sim builder "Simon" who did a great job connecting FlyEngravity Glarewings directly to the SimWorld MIP. Myself, I elected to cut the top and place a plate to hold the units. I used 2X19" Dell widescreen monitors and an older IBM 15" standard LCD monitor.

cheers
    Rob.

Hi Rob. I'm thinking of getting SimWorld MIP panel also. The pics you have look great. I'm still checking out my options for a whole design.
    Lina

25+ Posting Member

Hello Declan,

You can combine Sismo Glares with Simworld as Zeineddine made, because the MCP -EFIS from CP-Flfight fixes right well on Sismo Glares.

Take a look to these pictures. It is Sismo SST + MCP-EFIS from CPF.
    Photo21.jpg

SST 1.jpg

SST2.jpg

Hope this pictures help :)

25+ Posting Member

Thanks guys for your input. I just acquired a 12" monitor from eBay for £0.99 I'm hoping it will do for the centre screen of the MIP. I'll not knw that though until north the MIP and the monitor arrive.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by zeineddine View Post
    Hi Declan. You might be able to mount the MCP, EFIS and Glareshield to the MIP directly. It is a bit of a challenge depending on the units themselves you have (which I'm not familiar with). I saw some pics from another sim builder "Simon" who did a great job connecting FlyEngravity Glarewings directly to the SimWorld MIP. Myself, I elected to cut the top and place a plate to hold the units. I used 2X19" Dell widescreen monitors and an older IBM 15" standard LCD monitor.

cheers
    Rob.
    Rob,

How did you cut the top part? i have ordered the plate from simworld but must admit i am not looking forward to cutting through a perfect new MIP.
    Can you please explain a little how you did it and where the cut needs to be made exactly?

25+ Posting Member

I received my MIP today and unpacked it. There are loads of toggles and pots of variable types. Has anyone wired up the AFDS switches. I haven't seen switched like them before, looks like 8 terminals. I could do with some help with connecting wires to them, and what expansion card are people using? I have a FDS SYSX4 card, so I'm hoping I can wire things into it. Thanks for any help.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeckerZ View Post
    I received my MIP today and unpacked it. There are loads of toggles and pots of variable types. Has anyone wired up the AFDS switches. I haven't seen switched like them before, looks like 8 terminals. I could do with some help with connecting wires to them, and what expansion card are people using? I have a FDS SYSX4 card, so I'm hoping I can wire things into it. Thanks for any help.
    Declan,

Seems you are about to embark on the journey (assembling the Full MIP with metal frame) like i have just travelled.
    I have documented my assembly with picture and all to make it easier for others to perform the assembly.
    If you are interested just drop me an email at killerbee1958 at hotmail dot com and i will sent you the doc.
    Could be very interesting to see if you indeed find the documents helpfull.

Also i understood you already received information from simworld direct about the afds switches.
    I guess you have figured it out yourself already but if not:
    The Led is attached to the two outside terminals (L1 (plus) and L2 (minus)). The switch should be connected to terminal 2 and 3 (Normally Open) which are the two rightmost terminals on top of the switch (remark measure with a ohm meter as you may have mounted the switch upside down in the plate )
    Other terminals are not used on this switch. Hope this makes it clear.

I have not yet begun to wire the MIP so i have not yet a doc with full wiring instructions but i will for sure make my wiring into a instruction manual also. perhaps we can share our experiences to improve this also.

I can not yet answer your question on the io-cards. I will wire the mip up first and then decide which io-card is required. In my case i will want it to interface to the PMDG 737NGx (for what it matters btw). There is much to choice from. Opencockpit cards, Sismo cards, Leo bodhar cars, FDS cards etc. I really have to wade through many threads i guess before i can make a informed choice. Will let you know when i am finished.

As a sidenote: Have you decided on how to mount the sismo glareshields/wings yet?
    I have ordered the plate as Rob has made from simworld and will receive it shortly.

I am however a bit hesitant to cut into a new and perfect MIP so am considering selling this assembled MIp and ordering a new one from Simworld where they have already cut it.

on the other hand, i have invested already into a dremel so i might as well take the jump and just cut the MIP. I hope Rob will inform us how he dit it and specifically how he managed to keep the support brackets attached to the front of the MIP? (perhaps by cutting just above the one screw of the two center supports?)
    Last edited by killerbee1958; 06-12-2012 at 04:34 AM. Reason: switch info updated

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee1958 View Post
    Rob,

How did you cut the top part? i have ordered the plate from simworld but must admit i am not looking forward to cutting through a perfect new MIP.
    Can you please explain a little how you did it and where the cut needs to be made exactly?
    It certainly needs a combination of courage and some good expertise to do it. I had help from an engineer friend who is very handy in such things. Simply what did is the following:

1. Connected the panels to each other first to make sure they are aligned properly.
    2. Used vice grips to hold the panels and make sure they stay in place perfectly especially right at the edges.
    3. Drew a straight line along where the cut is to be made. (10mm from the straight top edge of the middle panel)
    4. Removed the vice grips and disconnected the panels.
    5. Used an electric hacksaw handheld tool at low speed to cut along the pre-drawn line. It should be on low speed to make sure the cut is accurate.
    6. Filed the edge where the cut is made to make it smooth.
    7. Installed angle brackets on the top edges where the panels connect to each other in order to place the top panel aluminum sheet.

The cut was perfect in a perfect straight line as you can see from pictures.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Top.jpg99.jpg
    Last edited by zeineddine; 06-12-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added Photos

25+ Posting Member

Rob,

makes sense but one more question. When i was measuring the line on my mip it looks as if i have to cut below the lowest screw of the center mip, leaving the support bracket useless as it is no longer fastened to the center panel. Or did you cut above the lowest screw, that way keeping the bracket in use for ensuring rigidity to the whole MIP?

thanks for your answers anyway.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee1958 View Post
    Rob,

makes sense but one more question. When i was measuring the line on my mip it looks as if i have to cut below the lowest screen of the center mip, leaving the support bracket useless as it is no longer fastened to the center panel. Or did you cut above the lowest screw, that way keeping the bracket in use for ensuring rigidity to the whole MIP?

thanks for your answers anyway.
    I'm at the office now, I can take a measurement when I get home and send to you. If I recall we cut right in the middle of the lowest screw. They are not needed once the panels connect together. I'll take measurements from bottom to top for you later today.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast