Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mycockpit.org New to the forum... totally different world

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forum for a while now and I just decided to introduce myself. I'm taking flying lessons from a friend that's an instructor and now I would like to have like the real deal at home. I bought a new computer, because having the sim on a laptop sucks... I'm trying to figure out how to build a Cessna 172, but I don't know how to start?... I have seen the setup from a member named warren and I would like to do that. Also I signed up for vatsim or something like that to start using the radio.

Re: New to the forum... totally different world

Welcome. I saw your other post.

My build was actually fairly easy as I used simkit gauges (which showed me how to build my own gauges with servos). I also used Simkits cards to interface so it was easy. I had the panel cut by frontpanel express. The switches were easy to wire, and used USB keyboard cards and Simkits interface cards. The yoke was from CH Y, and I cut the column and extended it, as were the rudder pedals. The throttle/mixture/prop controls came from a real aircraft supply store and were interfaced through Simkits with slide potentimeters. External visuals were with a Triple-head-to-go.

The GNS 530, I built myself over the course of three years, a lot of reading across several forums, and some help from a lot of people.

As I said, fairly easy, but expensive... it did teach me that I could do more with less, if I did most of the building myself, so it was a learning tool, and prepped me for my 737 Build.

There are a lot of tips out there on how to get started, so I won't bore you with mine, just keep in mind... it is all in what you can afford. There are NO cheap solutions to this hobby. Buy it pre-made, and it costs up front... but you're flying sooner. Build it yourself, and it costs in the long run (unless you go into mass production and sell to someone else) but your flying may be in stages. Resist impulse buys... I have a room full of stuff I'll probably never use.

General aviation is funner... low and slow with some awesome visuals can't be beat. Big iron on the hand is more challenging if done by the book. It takes a lot to fly a multi-person crewed aircraft, by yourself, by the numbers.

As far as I'm concerned, online flight is the way to go... Can't beat a well manned VATSIM route for realism.

As for a laptop... don't knock the newer ones... I just spent eight months flying all over with a full SAITEK setup and a Dell inspiron laptop.

Warren

3. Thanks CuchoX thanked for this post

Re: New to the forum... totally different world

Thanks Warren!

I know it's no cheap, but it's something that will help me flying out there and I've been wanting to do this for a long time... Just bought a new system and had the CH yoke for 6 years I think. Got some rudders from newegg and I will try to get into the interfaces and see if I can get exactly what you have for the Cessna.

Thanks again!