Thread: LED Switch

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

LED Switch

Hello all,

New user first post. I've been flight simming for years, just got the bug to get into making a cockpit, need some very early help.

I've purchased a BUO836X Controller and some rotary switches and toggles from ebay. I'm looking for some led push buttons like the LNAV - VNAV - HDG SEL...etc on a 737NG MCP.

I don't understand what kind of switch I need, and how FSX / FSUIPC handle different switches. How do these switches interact with each other through the controller card in flight. If for example I'm in VNAV and want to descend and I select VS, the VNAV automatically goes out / switches off. I have found some inexpensive led switches on ebay to try, they are latching or momentary. I understand the difference between these I think, latching push on - push off, momentary off - push hold on - let go off? Are either of them suitable for MCP switches? If I used the latching switches and was in VNAV mode the led would be on, then when I switch to VS mode it's led will be on but so will the VNAV. I would then have to push VNAV again to get the light off.

I've spent the last few hours reading as much as I can but I'm not any further with making a purchase. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Glen

Re: LED Switch

Hi Glen and welcome,
    Setting up the card and switch is easy, even I can do it. Best thing to do is start from the basics.
    Wire up one switch and connect to the board (1 wire for input 2nd for Ground)
    Start FSX and then open FSUIPC.
    Go to the switches tab, and then flick the switch, you will see the switch number come up in the small boxes in the middle near the top.
    On the right side you can assign FS commands, on the left side you can assign keyboard FS commands.
    I would suggest that if you are having trouble understanding all this do as I do, make coffee, lay on lounge with the FSUIPC user manual and start reading, wake up make another coffee and continue reading. I found I had to read it several times to help me understand the basics, but thats cos I am old and the brain dont work like it used to.

As for switches with LEDs, these usually require a earth to a third pin on the switch to make the LED/Light work. You will find that it will be difficult to wire those up and work as you want. Others may have an idea how to do it but from what I understand you require an output card to get the LED on/off information from FSX.

It doesnt really matter what switch you use with your Leo card. It accepts most switches and when connecting through FSUIPC, you can make it single action or repeat continuously.
    The switch needs to make contact to send the signal to FS. So it doesnt matter if you want a mom or latching. If you look at a toggle switch it is ON/OFF. When you turn the switch on it send the signal to FS via FSUIPC which then determines what you have set it to, ie, a single switch to turn on the landing lights. When you turn the switch off, it sends the signal to FS via FSUIPC and again if you have set what you want the switch to do when it goes off, it will do that , ie turn off the landing lights.

The best way to learn is to have a play...

As for VNAV etc, i dont use that function so i cant make comment...

cheers
    Dave
    Cheers
    Dave

300+ Forum Addict

Hi Glen,

You have to understand that the pushbutton and the LED in it in the MCP are only partially related. Yes the LED lights up when the button is pushed but the logic behind it can make it go out again when another button is pushed. So you will need some kind of software that will simulate this logic. Since you already have the Leo Bodnar card you could use FSUIPC to interface with your switches. I suggest you take a look at the Flyboys shop at http://www.flyboysshop.com/ for the logics software, for example.
    Combined with a Phidgets LED card you should be good to go.
    There are other possibilities, of course.

Hope this helps.

martin

500+ This must be a daytime job

Welcome Glen, and keep asking questions! People her eare happy to share.

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

Hello all thanks for the welcome,

I posted a response but it said it would have to be reviewed, that was at least 12 hours ago?? There was an image in it, maybe that is why. I'll wait to see if it shows up.

Glen