Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Link2fs_FSXout_Beta Anything about it.

Well its finally finished enough to Beta test. I spent the last 2 night fighting an obscure error in the PDE file and I was pulling my hair out but finally the penny dropped.

A couple of pictures ,,,,

The test readout ,,,

Both the above are in the download plus a picture of my test circuit.

This program is now not used as my "inOut" program has taken its place.

See ,, http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...dea-s-bugs-etc
    or
    http://www.jimspage.co.nz/fsx_inout.htm

The output not only suits the Arduino but also other cards that will except the various formats available.

If you are into motion platforms ,, this isn't the release for you ,,, it has speed limits on the data which will be removed once things are proved.

Good luck Guys ,,, Have heaps of fun with it.

Please report any bugs in THIS thread. (Keeps it all together) and of course we all want to know of your successes.

Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

2. Thanks mndless, iwik, JMeller, wannabeaflyer thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Link2fs_FSXout_Beta Anything about it.

HI Jim Juste to say big thank you for releasing your software have finally got my arduino uno and am doing the tutorials and ciruicts to learn as much as my wee brain would take in ( Borrowed the Wee Bit line from you Lol :-0) have over the years collected, dreamt about using and just down right mothballed so many interfaces ,that i have so much half started - working but not finished or just laying in the workshop waiting to be bought to life sim related project , but this one thanks to your code is goona be the kickstart for me ( The platform is still there just still trying to get decent actuators ) so once again good buddy on behalf of all of us out there Thanks My Man ... Will post pic's soon

150+ Forum Groupie

Jim, I just want to follow-up on wannabeaflyer's comment - THANK YOU for the unwaivering dedication to this hobby. I am anxious to make the necessary mods to my soon-to-be "former" static LED display and incorporate your output into the Arduino!! This, of course, requires me pull my head out of the C# books - which has swallowed up the little spare time I have AND it still has not "clicked" how to reference simconnect. It's easy to mimic the tutorials, but code building from scratch- another story. Just another testament to your software programming

A very grateful filght enthusiast,
    James

25+ Posting Member

Good stuff Jim... and thanks for your efforts.. I am wide open playing catch up and trying to come up to speed....

Have ordered a few additional parts to play with your new interface... have a fun plan in mind Will post a video when and.. errr. if, I get it working correctly....

Thanks again for working through your hair pulling issues!!

Tony

Thanks Guys ,, Its always nice to get feedback for one's efforts and especially nice from tallented Guys like yourselves.
    The "experimentor" in all of us is comming out.

I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if there is any bugs (there's bound to be) and then move on to including my "Keys" program into it. That way we should have a lot of immediate requirements covered and at that point I'll revisit them both, fix minor bugs and add things to make them both "top notch" so to speak.

I would say we are all looking forward to seeing what everyone else is up to now that an easy interface to FSX is out there.
    We are in interesting times thats for sure.

Wannabeflyer ,,, Yes I think we have the same blood line ,,, just cant leave it alone can we. ???

James ,, in your thread,, post 10 ,, I babbled on about the frequency being in a "string" for output to FSX ,, although its correct, we appear to being heading in your original direction of 'knob-to-FSX' for "in" ,,, and 'FSX-to-display' for "out". I'll edit that post and remove those comments as it might give new-commers the wrong idea. (I dont want to confuse the issue).
    Further down the track I'll tackle direct input (not using "keys") for radio input but to suit rotary encoders and your switch type arrangement so it will probably be direct input to increase or decrease the Mhz or Khz. (I hope that makes sence)
    Now get back to your PDE file,, we are waiting...

Tony ,,, the mind boggles as to your project ,, I have it worked out though ,,, in FSX you are flying a top dresser aircraft ,,, hooked to your computer is a Arduino-lawn-mower thingy ,,, as you fly,, your mowing the lawns Near ???

Thanks Guys you've made my day ,, Cheers ,,, Jim

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Excellent!
    When first run there is an error message about a missing TABCTL32.OCX, but after some googling i got that fixed. Changed your PDE file a little and it was up and running. YES!!!! Looking good. Now I need to add some other LED's and stuff and wait for the inclusion of the 'keys' part.

This is great work, making it relatively simple to interface a lot of things to FSX.
    Thanks,
    David

Great stuff David ,, It looks great and I'm pleased for you. I got to admit ,, I'm happy for me too as when ever a developer releases something (especially "odd-ball" stuff like I do) ,, there is always doubt about problems ,,, so ,,, we are both happy
    Yes I can see where you are going David and as far as the inclusion of my "keys" program ,, it is about half done now and will be (hopefully) released in about 2 weeks if all goes well.

This is great ,, things are starting to happen and projects are "on the go" so to speak.

The TABCTL32.OCX thing ,, did you just have to install just that ?? or did you have to install the "pack" (like VBrun) ???
    What operating system etc are you running ??? I did include the M$ Mscomm files but I'm never sure if people actually need them or they are already in their computer (No matter what O/S they are running.)
    Its a messy scene now in that line of things.

Thanks for the feedback David ,, keep us updated as you go ,, its marvelous.

Cheers ,,, Jim

Well you learn something new every day ,,, Today I learnt a lot and anyone who is playing with my LCD stuff may have fallen into the same trap.
    On getting the FSXinOut program going it done the same thing as the early testing of FSXout ,,, where SOMETIMES it would lock up the display and the card within the first minute of use.
    The reason ,,,, how I was handling the spaces (that blanked the unused digits on the LCD) I just grouped the spaces as a string ie ,,,
    com1 += " " (2 spaces in there)
    now,, there seems to be a trap here ,, after pulling my hair out again, I tried ie.,,
    com1 += " " (1 spaces in there)
    com1 += " " (1 spaces in there),, which makes a total of 2 spaces.
    Dont ask me why ,,, but no more trouble since.
    Soooo,, if anyones having troubles with lockups with the LCD library ,, change the way the spaces are handled and it may fix the problem.

A wee update ,,, this afternoon I got "FSXinOut" running,, all the outs are working and the "keys" section is running fine as well. Just a few bits and pieces to clean up and do the blasted doc's again.

Catch ya's ,,, Jim

Just a wee update here ,,,,
    It didn't like 5 spaces all joined as 1 string but 3 spaces were fine. I never tested it with 4 spaces.
    What I done was ,,
    airsp += " " (3 spaces in there)
    airsp += " " (2 spaces in there)
    Which gave me my 5 spaces.
    Last edited by Jim NZ; 06-16-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: added an update

10+ Posting Member

Just a quick note to thank you Jim for your time and the goodies you're sharing with us all.

I do have the TABCTL32.OCX problem David described. Haven't found a solution yet. (Windows 7 64bit).

I tried installing VB 2010 Express to see it would help, instead of using Visual Studio 2005.

If David or anyone has any tips on fixing the problem, I'd be most grateful. In the meantime I'll keep tinkering with the Arduino code side. Will gladly share any new code I come up with.

Thanks again for opening up such possibilities!

Mark

EDIT: Problem solved.
    1. Download TABCTL32.OCX file from here: http://www.ocxdump.com/download-ocx-.../download.html
    2. If running 64bit Windows place the file in c:\windows\SysWOW64\
    3. Register the ocx file in a command prompt (run with Adminstrator Permissions) using this command line: regsvr32 c:\windows\SysWOW64\tabctl32.ocx

25+ Posting Member

Jim,

Thanks for your efforts on this... I am very confident these arduino's are a viable and functional I/O option!! With their onboard logic, in conjunction with your software... as they say, the sky is the limit

I have all the parts in hand to start playing with this... will take me a few days to work things out, but should have some progress to report soon.

Thanks again for the great work!!

Tony

12. Thanks theshadow69ka thanked for this post
    Likes theshadow69ka liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast