Thread: Hi All

25+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hi All

I just got a new video card the ATI 6950 4gb, I have four monitors three on the top and one for the bottom for the avionics display aka the panel, I need help trying to finger out how to make it work that way right now all four monitors are working by them self

please help do I need a software or what

Thanks

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Re: Hi All

If your video card has multiple outputs then you should be able to move stuff from place to place that way. In the old days well lets say lower powered machines you would need to chain (network) them together to get the display you want. One display per machine then you would run FSX on each machine tying in your controls via a bus so that all FSX instances are running the same control structure.

From the looks of your VC you have dual DVI outputs. So you can run 2 displays at a time. To spread the lets say main visual out (your sky view) you will need something like Matrox Tripple Head To Go. Or you will need a second video card to handle that display. As you can only connect to the ports that are available to you.

Primarily if you have 4 outputs then you need to set all 4 monitors to 'EXTENDED DESKTOP' in your video card settings. This will duplicate your desktop in all monitors. As you have now perhaps? Then in FSX (this is the step your missing I'm thinking?) You have to set up multiple windows under the 'VIEW MENU'. In there you open up a new window (for each of the views) and drag it to the monitor of your choice. I'm thinking you can set up the FSX.cfg file to make that setup permanent if you like. I haven't gotten to that point myself yet but I know someone here will be able to help you on that.

That's about it. Now of course for FSX to run multiple displays (windows) will tax your FSX (CPU) so you need to have some horses running under the hood. New machines today though should be able to handle it. If it gets to bogged down there is the first idea above. Perhaps a dual machine setup with the job split between them. A multi core machine though is like two computers. Remember you can help your FSX by adding in more (CPU) it's not that video card intense so adding in more V-card will help a little but more processor would be better.

Also this is basic but when ever you open the case especially. Be sure to clean it out before you add anything in. In this time when it's hot outside. I'm in an apartment with no AC. It's very important to step up your computer maintenance/cleaning. This will not only help your computer last longer but run faster. While I'm talking about cooling as you're asking more of your CPU then before (more FSX operations) a more robust cooling system is something you may consider. I know I am.. I'm getting one of these very soon Zalman CNPS7500-ALCU LED CPU cooler. The reviews just scream buy me.. After about 2 years of use it's a good idea to remove the cooling fan/heatsink from your CPU and clean thoroughly (I use a paint brush). Then clean and replace the conductive paste and return back to your computer (Well I'm going to be replacing mine). The thermal paste only lasts about that long then it starts to go bad (less conductive). If left unchecked this will heat up your CPU and your computer will reduce CPU voltage to prevent cooking it (reduced power = slower computer).

Hope that helps.

PS. Did you go to the airshow and if so how was it?
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

3. Thanks Joe Cygan thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPERCDN View Post
    I just got a new video card the ATI 6950 4gb, I have four monitors three on the top and one for the bottom for the avionics display aka the panel, .............
    How many outputs has your new video card, 2 or 4 ? I know they use to have 2 output connectios for monitors.
    Anyway the best solution, many people use for 3 monitors outside view is the TH2G, taking one output from your VGA and extend it to 3 monitors, for a wide view outside cockpit.
    So the 2nd VGA's output will be free for connect the 4th monitor for display your gauges, panels etc.

regards
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

25+ Posting Member

Hey Ron

The airshow was great, seen lost and seen some great aircraft.

25+ Posting Member

Hi oal331

The ATI6950 has 5 out put ports but can do up to six, the Outputs: DVI, , HDMI, Dual-Link DVI, Display Port, so I am using the 2 HDMI and the 2 mini displayPorts for the monitors

here is a image

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Ok so as I said you need to set each monitor to Extend Desktop. That will let you place your 'window' that is MS window on any of the monitors. Looks like you have them set to Clone or Mirror your desktop currently. This setting is in your ATI catalyst control center (multiple monitor settings).

Check out this PDF on Catalyst EyeFinity controls. This should answer all your questions.

You should see everything that is connected in there. Then just right click on each one to set it to extended desktop. Then in FSX you have to create a new window view for each view you want to send to each monitor. Then move that window (drag) to the monitor and your done.

Also there is probably a way to have that 'carved' into the FSX.cfg file so you don't need to do that every time. In the old days you could just open up and save a default flight that way but now it's different. Default flight settings are more about airport/weather/aircraft then how the interface is set up. So you have to go into FSX.cfg and edit by hand. Not that hard though. I'm sure someone here has done it but I'll try to track it down for you.

Looks like a pretty cool card. I may switch to an AMD card too. My processor is an AMD quad Core but my Mobo and box are Nvidia. So don't know if my mobo would want to chuck out a Radeon VC hehe.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

8. Thanks Joe Cygan thanked for this post