Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

OpenCockpits Master card kit

Hey,

so i'm almost ready to build my cockpit, however while lookig trough the opencockpits product catalog, i noticed there a few variants of the master card. The PCB only, a kit and a fully assembled one. What i'm wondering about is whether the kit includes ALL the needed parts and the microcontrollers ( if there are any ) come pre-programmed?

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Re: OpenCockpits Master card kit

I recommend to buy assembled and tested. The difference in price is minimal and it will save you a lot of trouble.
    Unless you have a fully equipped electrical work shop and you have skills in building electronic equipment.

Nico

Well, most of the other cards price is minimal, however the master cards kit and the fully assembled one has a difference of 20 EUR.

20 eur is a cheap investment in reducing stress.... there is enough in this hobby as it is...
    Cheers
    Dave

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davek View Post
    20 eur is a cheap investment in reducing stress.... there is enough in this hobby as it is...
    Right you are. And the equipment you need to solve a problem costs much more.

75+ Posting Member

If your soldering is of a reasonable standard, you have a decent iron with the correct sized bit, you shouldn't have any problems building the kit.

I've built a couple of Masters/USBExpansions/USBKeys, and they all worked first time.

I put all my IC's in sockets, so if there are any issues, you can change them.

Master doesn't have any micro-controller - Just logic/multiplexing.

All the kits that do have micro-controllers come with them ready programmed - And yes, all the parts you need are included.

So in my opinion, the cost saving on the Master at least is worthwhile, but it does of course depend to some degree on how confident you are to put it together and fault find it if necessary.

Cheers,

Rob

I've made 3 of them and it is an easy task.
    Took about 2 hrs pr card.

500+ This must be a daytime job

It is not difficult if you know what you are doing, have the right equipment etc. However, for your first purchase I strongly counsel you to buy ready built. It removes any doubt, as actually setting up the cards with sioc.ini etc is not for the faint hearted - at least you know that the card is ok so it must be something else

This forum, over the years, has seen many anguished posts saying that their mastercard does not work properly, only for it to subsequently emerge that 40 pin sockets and/or IC`s have been put in the wrong way. PC`s do not recognise the mastercards - often a result of cheap USB Hubs, incompletly wired parallel cables (did not want to pay for OC ones)

I do not know the OP`s skills, but if in doubt it is safer initially to buy ready built. This from someone who has built at least 10 cards - all ok

David

I agree David, for your first card buy the full thing. I have a couple of Leo cards and they are easy to set up. It was certainly encouraging to connect the card assign a couple of buttons and it worked first time. This then gave me the confidence to try other things that I thought were above my ability level, but at the end of the day, I can still flip the switch and get in the air.

I couldnt imagine the frustration of building the card, writing code and then it doesnt work. If, like me, you dont have a clue about elektrickery (sic) then you are entering a whole world of hurt....
    Cheers
    Dave

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level CanberraACT's Avatar

I built my first Open Cockpits Master and Display cards way back when the only way to connect them was via the LPT Port. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and studied electronics formally a few years ago. I seem to remember it took a couple of hours. I then had days of trouble getting them to work with the LPT port and always had doubt about my construction. Worked eventually. After that I bought a USB card, another couple of Masters, and two display cards already built. It took a lot of doubt out of the process. It was plug and play. It will take you long enough re-writing SIOC script to have that doubt that the cards are not working.

CanberraACT