Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member Norwegian737project's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing Can you help me out with some color codes?

Can any of you guys help me out with finding any color codes for this paint? It would be greatly appreciated..

Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Norwegian737Project Follow our blog at norwegian737project.blogspot.com

Re: Can you help me out with some color codes?

Here's for a great BUMP.. :P

I really need help with this guys
    I know there's some smart people on this forum that should be able to tell me
    how to figure this out.. C'mon folks

Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Norwegian737Project Follow our blog at norwegian737project.blogspot.com

500+ This must be a daytime job

If you can get a good printout of this, your local paint store should be able to scan and match it. Talk to them about how to do it.

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

4. Thanks Norwegian737project thanked for this post

Another alternative for the paint matching... purchase a sticker from Boeing http://boeingstore.com/737-Pudgy-Sti...B0051PHAYI.htm... then take that to hardware store and they can match it.

Besides, then you'll have a cool "pudgy" sticker!

Warren

6. Thanks Norwegian737project thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

This site MATCHING CUSTOM PAIN COLORS will convert RGB to a paint chips of various name brand paint manufacturers. Apparently paint is different from ink in that you can't go straight from an Ink RGB to a paint color. As ink is a dye and paint is pigment based. Kind of like the color of coffee to that of a glass of chocolate milk. They may look the same but are made quite differently.

So with that in mind. I did a little work for you. These swatches were taken from the starboard side of the nose. So least change. I believe the rest is white with a few coats of clear on everything but the dome that holds the Doppler and TCAS. That part is flat perhaps for a few reasons not the least of which is not effect the radar.

If you go to the above site you can pick out the paint manufacturer of your choice and enter the data and it will select the swatch that is closest to it. Armed with that info you should be able to get it even closer in store. If you take a sample of what you want to use for matching. Make sure it's on flat paper (glossy doesn't work well during the scanning process) and increase the DPI as best as you can as the will increase your chance of getting a broader scan. The DPI is what the computer at the store will use so lower DPI means that pixel for pixel could be different. Higher DPI forces the computer to average.

I don't know what paint manufacture you want use so it would be well a shot in the dark as to what to select. Architects use this site to color match backwards that is they take a swatch and reproduce the RGB values for the rendering purposes you are going the other way though.. hehe

Best of luck.
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

25+ Posting Member

This is a free program that I have used a lot, it maybe of some help to you or others.

http://instant-eyedropper.com

Gary

Thanks everybody for your inputs. However, I am still unable to convert any of the HTML's into real life color codes.
    It's really tricky to find the correct color codes, and I guess writing an email to Boeing will get me nowhere.. Even the base white color
    on the livery is not really pure white. If you compare the plane next to an all white plane, you will see how much darker the base white is on the house livery..

I'll send a t-shirt and an awesome coffee cup to the person that are able to just straight up find the original codes for all three colors, so I can just give the clerk behind the counter on my local paintshop and tell him to start mixing..

Thumbs up Re: Can you help me out with some color codes?

I think even if you found the right codes as to what paint color they use you could be hard pushed to get it exact. if this is for a tshirt I can tell you,it's code ral white, ral light blue& ral dark blue

It might come down too printing out a good print of it & the paint shop doing there scan on it the darker blue does look like a very super shinny metallic kinda blue, good luck mate, & your craftsmanship is on another level, well done , I'm a builder here in Sydney & have shown your build to lots of carpenters who all agree , very skilled & reply from all is wow .
    Good luck with the colors..
    Cheers
    Riche..
    Last edited by riche543; 06-11-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    I Started with Nothing & ive still got loads left..

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

If you look at the ray dome enclosure on the nose I would say that is white and it blends in near perfectly with the port side paint (third color). What you see on the starboard side is reflections from the buildings showing up on the white of the fuselage. The reflections also darken the rest of the starboard side so that's why the nose is your best shot.

As said above we really can't give you a code for the paint as every paint maker has different pigments. So it's like saying Sapphire red or Topaz Blue. That really doesn't mean anything. We would need to know what paint manufacturer you want to use. This would be up to you based on how close a match you can get from a scan to the various paint products available at your source. I would think that a scan would yield that info more then us giving you a number. As it's your store that is making the paint.

Herpa diecast model of the 738-800 Dreamliner Some thing you may consider picking up. Ever since I started working on my C-185 I thought of getting a model for it but there are none pretty well.

There is this image I found on the net

This is probably a bit closer to the actual "non artificial lighted" version as you can get. You'll note that the paint isn't violet like above but more of an aqua blue more in keeping with Boeing. You'll also note that the white is 'white' not a weird kind of cream color as it seems to be in the photos you see when on the ground. This is the color Boeing would use not the color you see on the ground but the color you would see when it's in the can as it were.

Artificial lighting and reflections play havoc with colors... Even in the old days of 'Film' you would get a weird green haze if you took picture with florescent lighting. Not detectable with the eye when taking the image but a pain to get rid of later - before digital processing.

So with that image I ran the numbers again for you.

I would say that the 3rd color is the closest to the actual 3rd color as the other is a highlighted (reflective) from the sun. The accent stripe seems to be a white tinted down version of the blue below. It also gets more and more tinted as you move up the fuselage. This could be hard to duplicate with out an airbrush (pneumatic sprayer). As your nose is 1:1 scale though it could be worth the effort.

Photos are hard to get a 'true' match from as you are subject to what the photographer did. In this case though I have to think it was a Boeing photo. As they would need to 'stage' the shot to get it this perfect. So this is perhaps the best you are going to see on the net. That said it's up to you as to how you want it to look. Without getting exact data from Boeing and their paint brand, Which I'm thinking could be PPG 'Performance Products Group' used in painting race cars and the like. You will only get let's say very very close.

I myself think the above photo probably represents the true colors of the aircraft in as much as it's natural lighting with no reflections (save for the highlight). That's about the best I can do. I tried looking for the original product guide for the 737-800 but no dice. There is of course Boeing's advert page for the 737-800 It has a pic but it's pretty small. I tried looking for a B737-800 Press Kit. Something the Press would have received at the time of the roll out but also no dice. Found one for the BBJ version of the 800 but not the commercial passenger version. From the Boeing page above we learn that it takes about 50 gallons of paint to paint the aircraft and that adds 250lbs to the total weight. I'm thinking that in the long run Boeing makes there own paint too.

I also found this on youtube.. It's a 737-700 house paint. To bad it's a low res video or you could get some really good info from it. Still it's pretty cool.

The only other source I could think of was the Herpa Model. Which would mean they got the info from somewhere to decal their model. If licensed from Boeing to make the model they probably got the paint info too from them.. You could find the model at many model shops or places like Aviation World

They have portable scanners these days too if you wanted to take that to a paint store to get it scanned. Or you could get model take photo print photo scan photo at store get paint. I myself don't think you can just give them a code. We would first need to know what code 'they will be using' then we could perhaps find one. It is up to you and them as to what code you need. For instance even giving them the Boeing code would do them no good unless they sold Boeing paint..

On second thought the model is a bit on the small side. It can fit in the palm of your hand. So maybe not a good scan subject but still would be cool. Even better if you could 'repaint' it with your logo hehe

Hope that helps some more..
    Ron
    Last edited by Ronson2k9; 06-11-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Model is perhaps to small..
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

I tell you what,

are the colors in the nose and tail below the one's you need? If so, I can take the model to Lowe's here and see if I can get a paint code of some kind. Thye have done well matching the puke green primer and grays for me.

Warren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast