Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

JUST CHAT ,, Idea's ,, say Hi ,,, What-ever ??

As time goes on there will be more projects on the go here, and, so we don't break the flow of a projects thread, I though we should have a place to just chat, say Hi, throw some stuff around and just be relaxed.

Well here it is ,,,, go for your life ,,,,
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Re: JUST CHAT ,, Idea's ,, say Hi ,,, What-ever ??

Some interesting stuff ,,,,

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...on-windows.ars

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/201...r-ipod-tm.html

(Just proves we are on a roll with these cards)

500+ This must be a daytime job

Jim,

Thanks for helping us understand Arduino better. I have been looking for an easy interface to use for building steam instruments for my ga pit. Is there currently a way that Arduino's can read fsuipc offset status and then transfer those values into a script for driving servos or steppers?

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

Reid ,, First some good news ,,, For FSX ,, this week I finished my "FSXout" program and although it would suit any board, I actually made it specifically for the Arduino.
    What it does is get all the info from FSX and what you want (you tick) and it sends it to the Arduino.
    In the Arduino,, you decide what and how you are going to handle the data. (R/C servos would be a super easy one)

Only today, I made a PDE file to display the data on a text screen and it all works !!!!

A sneek preview ,,,,

direct link for bigger picture http://www.jimspage.co.nz/fsxoutb2_small.jpg

I dont know if this is what you are talking about but if it is ,,, nows the time to let me know if there is anything missing that should be on it.... I can add anything you like to it.(I think ??)
    In reality,, this is an extension from my motion platform extraction program. All I need to do is the documentation but I'm not quick at that .. its the bit I hate !!!

As I see it ,,, "FSXout" is a tool but it can be used as a finished product ,,, sooner or later I'll need to make seperate in/out programs to suit individual projects,, for instance Autopilot, radio-head, etc etc. and a "steam gauge" project sounds a good one too,, hopefully guys will present their projects that we can all share and then our use of these cards will "take off "

About FSUIPC ,,, I dont have FSUIPC ,, but I havent seen anything in that line that would suit the format that the Arduino requires as an input.

Cheers ,,, Jim

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi Jim,

this is looking fantastic! have been following your homepage and this thread for some time now, hoping that something like this was coming.
    Are you also considering having the various AP values in the list? (AP heading, course, altitude, vertical speed)? I am looking to use the Arduino Mega to create an Airbus style FMC and to display these values on an LCD connected to the Mega. I have produced some preliminary sketches for displaying on the LCD and working with rotary encoders but have not yet tackled how to get the values out of FSX.
    Can the same Arduino card be used with your Link2FS program (for input) and this new program (for output)?

Thanks,
    David

Hi David and welcome to Mycockpit.org,, where it all happens !!
    Now you have some interesting questions,,, Firstly an update which will probably answer most of them,,,
    Tonight I finally got some time to "fiddle" and I threw in most of the autopilot extractions ,, there are still more to come but that will have to wait for an update. I went for a quick flight on my main flight computer and it all seems to be working so its back to the documentation and "packaging".

Unfortunately, the timing of this has co-insided with a big "push" at work so I'm not getting the time I want at it. I will probably put it out to the beta testers (here) at the weekend.

FSXout is basically a utility at this stage ,, but things will develope from here and we will end up with complete "projects" for all sorts of things.

This "FSXout" program and my "keys" program can NOT use the same card at the same time ,, But ,,, I keep changing my mind as to what to do next and so ,,, it makes logical sence to include my "keys" program within the "FSXout" program so we can have the best (at the moment) of both worlds.
    That then gives everyone all the "outs" (they choose) and still have the option of keystroke inputs ,, all from the same card. ... Its not ideal,, but a good versatile starting point so I think thats my next move.

Thanks for the interest David ,,, we are on a roll so stay tuned !!

Mndless ,, I'm not surprised the USB port failed ,,, a couple of things ,,, ordinary servo's vary with current draw, depending on what torque they are designed for,, so one needs to be very careful as to what ones to buy. I remembered seeing a site that was running 3 mini/micro ?? servos from a USB port but that would have to have been a USB2 port. I had a quick look but cant find the site now.
    The original USB ports were quite small in current that it could pass but the USB2's can pass 500 milliamps. I'm no expert in these things ,,, I havent got any servo's !!!(Yet) but my vision of these being used in cockpits would be the mini/micro ?? ones just turning a needle in a gauge.
    Some info for you , but you've probably already seen it ,,,
    http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Servo (Bottom paragraph) and
    http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Knob
    I see its 12 servos on a smaller card and 48 on a mega.

Reid ,, I can extract the ball position ,, easy ,, and I thought ,,,why dont you feed the ball with a bit of stiff wire (piano wire ??) in a thin tube ??? that means the servo can be away to the side of all the other "tight" fitting stuff. Just a thought. I like the idea of having that ball responding as you fly.

Geeze ,, writing a book again ,, Cheers Guys ,,, Jim

150+ Forum Groupie

Yea, I was thinking about having 2 or 4 inputs capable of mirroring the Keys program. I also like the idea of designating cards to a specific COM port and designating inputs to specific cards (which are assigned to the specific ports); of course, I was referring to your Link2fs Multi - http://www.jimspage.co.nz/projects.htm
    Versatility...who doesn't appreciate versatility?! I know. I know - easier said than done

Yes I know what you mean James ,, That "Link2fs_Multi" is the first program I start after FSX ,, its just neat having all that at your fingertips.
    I havent touched its coding for some time, if fact, since I decided to let simmers know what they are missing out on (the Arduino cards) but I'll get back to it. You never know,, what we are starting here may "roll" into something like that,,, I cant see why not.
    Within "FSXout" there are quite a few things that suit expansion but they are not seen at this stage with a simple screen grab. An obvious one is most of what is shown on that screen grab is actually on page one of a multi-tab system ,, the keys program will go on another tab and so on. The option for multipule profiles is still there but at this stage is not bought out for the end user ,,, there are also things in the code to suit expansion as well ,, I want to keep it simple and then add as we go.

First though,, my mind is still narrowly going down the path of giving new Arduino users options for their cards within the cockpit builders environment ,, once they have options,,, the exciting stuff will start.

The "keys" program can co-exist with "FSXout" if one was using different cards but I take onboard your idea of multipule choice within the one program .. it makes sence.

OK back to the documentation etc ,, Cheers James ,,, Jim

25+ Posting Member

Jim... got the sub micro servo in the mail today... this thing is really small.... 1/4" or around 6.5 mm thick... I think I'll be able to hide it in the PFD panel ok... posted a short video of it hooked up to the arduino... this should be a breeze to emulate the slip indicator/ball

Hitec HS-35HD nano

Got a few more parts I'm waiting on before I can make much progress playing with the new interface....

WOW,, Thats a wee servo Tony ,,,, It really showed up when you held it in your hand !!!

I've done your "Turn Co-Ordinator" ball thingy ,,, its in the Beta3 which is also including my "keys" program but it will be a couple of weeks (Guessing) till I get it out there ,,, Let me know if this is too long or I can fiddle the current version and throw it in there.
    I hear my Beta2d has the black textbox problem with some video cards,, so I might actually fix that and add the ball thingy if I have any problems getting Beta3 going quickly.

The output of the ball thingy ,,, I've made it 0 to 250 with 125 being the centre ,,, lets know what suits you ,, I can output any range you want but I thought that would suit you so you can directely feed the figure to the servo from the Arduino. ????

I had a big dig around your site ,,, excellent stuff and interesting idea's going on in there,,, great stuff.

Keep at it Tony ,,, Jim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast