Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: JUST CHAT ,, Idea's ,, say Hi ,,, What-ever ??

OK Guys ,, BETA testers wanted.
    FSX and FS9.
    Have a look at this thread ,,,,,
    Post #6
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...t-board-on-FS9

Once I get this behind me ,, its back to projects ... YAY !!!!

See ya's ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Whats the world coming to ??? Have a look at this will ya ,,, Coding by "blocks" !!!

http://blog.ardublock.com
    (Scroll down to get the pictures)

Some guys just really want to take the fun out of life, don't they ??

LOL ,,, Jim

25+ Posting Member

Hi Jim

This is the 3rd time I've tried to send a message here so I hope this one gets through.

Basically I'm having no end of trouble trying to get an Xkeys USB encoder to talk to FSX and/or your wonderful inout program.

I works as it should with anything else (notepad etc).

I've no idea what to try next other than some other card. I note that on your website you mention the Xkeys cards so I'm hoping you'll have an answer for me.

THanks in advance for any advice you may give. Sorry again if this message is a repeat.

Kind regards
    Tony

Hi Tony ,,, There is no repeat postings so I haven't a clue where the other ones went ???

Firstly ,, my "inout" program wont work with Xkeys as it is designed for the Arduino card (or anything similar).

Xkeys is basically a keyboard emulator and is seen by windows as "just another keyboard" so for it to work with Notepad and not with FSX sort of narrows it down to just a few things.

When you flick a switch connected the the Xkeys ,,, FSX needs to be "in focus" and the main active window on your desktop and not in "paused" mode to act on whatever the keystroke was.

It's been a long time since I had them but I seem to remember a timing issue with some things ,,, so ,,, within Xkeys , experiment with putting in a pause (delay?) before, during and after the keystroke ,,, or if it's a string of characters ,, pauses in-between them. If it then works,, narrow down to the one that's necessary.

A good "try" keystroke is F5 and F8 ,,, F5 brings up the day/date in notepad (F8 doesn't do anything) ,,, BUT ,, no matter what view your in in FSX ,, F5 and F8 works the flaps.... But FSX still has to be "in focus"

That's all that come to mind at the moment but I'll keep thinking.
    Xkeys is a well used interface so hopefully some-one else might pop up and help you Tony ,,, my memory on them is getting pretty thin now. (Don't get old LOL !)

Once you get it going ,, have a look at HIDMACRO ,, ideal for USB keyboard emulators with flightsim.
    Its at ,,,
    http://www.hidmacros.eu/whatisit.php

Cheers Tony ,,, Jim

25+ Posting Member

Talking Re: JUST CHAT ,, Idea's ,, say Hi ,,, What-ever ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    Hi Tony ,,, There is no repeat postings so I haven't a clue where the other ones went ???

Firstly ,, my "inout" program wont work with Xkeys as it is designed for the Arduino card (or anything similar).

Xkeys is basically a keyboard emulator and is seen by windows as "just another keyboard" so for it to work with Notepad and not with FSX sort of narrows it down to just a few things.

When you flick a switch connected the the Xkeys ,,, FSX needs to be "in focus" and the main active window on your desktop and not in "paused" mode to act on whatever the keystroke was.

It's been a long time since I had them but I seem to remember a timing issue with some things ,,, so ,,, within Xkeys , experiment with putting in a pause (delay?) before, during and after the keystroke ,,, or if it's a string of characters ,, pauses in-between them. If it then works,, narrow down to the one that's necessary.

A good "try" keystroke is F5 and F8 ,,, F5 brings up the day/date in notepad (F8 doesn't do anything) ,,, BUT ,, no matter what view your in in FSX ,, F5 and F8 works the flaps.... But FSX still has to be "in focus"

That's all that come to mind at the moment but I'll keep thinking.
    Xkeys is a well used interface so hopefully some-one else might pop up and help you Tony ,,, my memory on them is getting pretty thin now. (Don't get old LOL !)

Once you get it going ,, have a look at HIDMACRO ,, ideal for USB keyboard emulators with flightsim.
    Its at ,,,
    http://www.hidmacros.eu/whatisit.php

Cheers Tony ,,, Jim
    Jim

Thanks for the ideas - I will keep trying armed with this advice and let you know. The Arduino purchase seems to be getting increasingly likely.

Way too late as far as the advice on aging goes - just turned 50 and just about everything has started packing it in already.

Hi Tony ,, Young Fella ,,, Just had another thought on this.

Xkeys can operate in either of 2 modes ,,, they use weird names for the modes and they kept changing the names ,, so I'll try to explain.

Mode 1 (My name for it) is where the Xkeys card is just an "input" card and your allocations (or macros) are actually held within a small resident program in your computer.
    In this mode ,, the card wont work with your keystrokes in another computer unless that wee program is put into that other computer.

Mode 2 (again my name for it) is where the key allocations are held inside the Xkeys card its-self and it doesn't need any small resident program for it to work. So, you can take the Xkeys card,, plug it into another computer and it will work as you programmed it to.(Without having to transfer over that wee bit of software)

I used "mode 2" (again ,, my name for it.) ,, you should be too.
    Just thinking that if you were operating in "mode 1" then that might be the reason ?

I touched on this in my web page here ,,, (Look under "what I done" ,,,
    http://www.jimspage.co.nz/encoders.htm

I didn't use "macroworks" as there was something "not good" about it at that time.
    I used "macro recorder" which still wasn't very good but it done what it was meant to do.

Hope that helps ,,, Jim

Hi Guys ,, I just done an update in my site ,,, mainly for programmers but also I finished that page on rotary encoders.

You'll probably have to hit refresh to see the new pages.

Have fun ,,, Jim

25+ Posting Member

Jim (Old Man),

You're a genius.

The damn thing just would not work on Windows7 machine - the new top of the range PC I bought as the heart of the sim.

I've taken your advice, plugged the board into an old XP machine, loaded the "macro recorder" software, programmed it and saved the settings to the device. Taken it back to the shed and plugged it into the Win7 machine, fired up FSX, loaded the iFly 737 that I'm currently considering and turned hit my new "flight director switch" and it worked!

A big thank you from me!!

Kind regards
    Tony (the apprentice)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    Hi Tony ,, Young Fella ,,, Just had another thought on this.

Xkeys can operate in either of 2 modes ,,, they use weird names for the modes and they kept changing the names ,, so I'll try to explain.

Mode 1 (My name for it) is where the Xkeys card is just an "input" card and your allocations (or macros) are actually held within a small resident program in your computer.
    In this mode ,, the card wont work with your keystrokes in another computer unless that wee program is put into that other computer.

Mode 2 (again my name for it) is where the key allocations are held inside the Xkeys card its-self and it doesn't need any small resident program for it to work. So, you can take the Xkeys card,, plug it into another computer and it will work as you programmed it to.(Without having to transfer over that wee bit of software)

I used "mode 2" (again ,, my name for it.) ,, you should be too.
    Just thinking that if you were operating in "mode 1" then that might be the reason ?

I touched on this in my web page here ,,, (Look under "what I done" ,,,
    http://www.jimspage.co.nz/encoders.htm

I didn't use "macroworks" as there was something "not good" about it at that time.
    I used "macro recorder" which still wasn't very good but it done what it was meant to do.

Hope that helps ,,, Jim

Great stuff Tony ,,
    Great you got the thing going.
    Yea, I remember some "odd" things about their software and the "silly" names they called the different modes.
    Very confusing.
    Glad I could be of help, Young Fella ...

Happy programming Tony ,,, Jim

OK,, as us Kiwi's are away ahead of you bunch,, we get Xmas before any-one else.

So ,,, Have a merry Xmas and lots of cheer Guys.
    And of course ,, do plenty of "tinkering" too.

Cheers ,,,, Jim

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast