Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: JUST CHAT ,, Idea's ,, say Hi ,,, What-ever ??

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: JUST CHAT ,, Idea's ,, say Hi ,,, What-ever ??

Hi David and welcome to Mycockpit.org,, where it all happens !!
    Now you have some interesting questions,,, Firstly an update which will probably answer most of them,,,
    Tonight I finally got some time to "fiddle" and I threw in most of the autopilot extractions ,, there are still more to come but that will have to wait for an update. I went for a quick flight on my main flight computer and it all seems to be working so its back to the documentation and "packaging".

Unfortunately, the timing of this has co-insided with a big "push" at work so I'm not getting the time I want at it. I will probably put it out to the beta testers (here) at the weekend.

FSXout is basically a utility at this stage ,, but things will develope from here and we will end up with complete "projects" for all sorts of things.

This "FSXout" program and my "keys" program can NOT use the same card at the same time ,, But ,,, I keep changing my mind as to what to do next and so ,,, it makes logical sence to include my "keys" program within the "FSXout" program so we can have the best (at the moment) of both worlds.
    That then gives everyone all the "outs" (they choose) and still have the option of keystroke inputs ,, all from the same card. ... Its not ideal,, but a good versatile starting point so I think thats my next move.

Thanks for the interest David ,,, we are on a roll so stay tuned !!

Mndless ,, I'm not surprised the USB port failed ,,, a couple of things ,,, ordinary servo's vary with current draw, depending on what torque they are designed for,, so one needs to be very careful as to what ones to buy. I remembered seeing a site that was running 3 mini/micro ?? servos from a USB port but that would have to have been a USB2 port. I had a quick look but cant find the site now.
    The original USB ports were quite small in current that it could pass but the USB2's can pass 500 milliamps. I'm no expert in these things ,,, I havent got any servo's !!!(Yet) but my vision of these being used in cockpits would be the mini/micro ?? ones just turning a needle in a gauge.
    Some info for you , but you've probably already seen it ,,,
    http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Servo (Bottom paragraph) and
    http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Knob
    I see its 12 servos on a smaller card and 48 on a mega.

Reid ,, I can extract the ball position ,, easy ,, and I thought ,,,why dont you feed the ball with a bit of stiff wire (piano wire ??) in a thin tube ??? that means the servo can be away to the side of all the other "tight" fitting stuff. Just a thought. I like the idea of having that ball responding as you fly.

Geeze ,, writing a book again ,, Cheers Guys ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

150+ Forum Groupie

Yea, I was thinking about having 2 or 4 inputs capable of mirroring the Keys program. I also like the idea of designating cards to a specific COM port and designating inputs to specific cards (which are assigned to the specific ports); of course, I was referring to your Link2fs Multi - http://www.jimspage.co.nz/projects.htm
    Versatility...who doesn't appreciate versatility?! I know. I know - easier said than done

Yes I know what you mean James ,, That "Link2fs_Multi" is the first program I start after FSX ,, its just neat having all that at your fingertips.
    I havent touched its coding for some time, if fact, since I decided to let simmers know what they are missing out on (the Arduino cards) but I'll get back to it. You never know,, what we are starting here may "roll" into something like that,,, I cant see why not.
    Within "FSXout" there are quite a few things that suit expansion but they are not seen at this stage with a simple screen grab. An obvious one is most of what is shown on that screen grab is actually on page one of a multi-tab system ,, the keys program will go on another tab and so on. The option for multipule profiles is still there but at this stage is not bought out for the end user ,,, there are also things in the code to suit expansion as well ,, I want to keep it simple and then add as we go.

First though,, my mind is still narrowly going down the path of giving new Arduino users options for their cards within the cockpit builders environment ,, once they have options,,, the exciting stuff will start.

The "keys" program can co-exist with "FSXout" if one was using different cards but I take onboard your idea of multipule choice within the one program .. it makes sence.

OK back to the documentation etc ,, Cheers James ,,, Jim

25+ Posting Member

Jim... got the sub micro servo in the mail today... this thing is really small.... 1/4" or around 6.5 mm thick... I think I'll be able to hide it in the PFD panel ok... posted a short video of it hooked up to the arduino... this should be a breeze to emulate the slip indicator/ball

Hitec HS-35HD nano

Got a few more parts I'm waiting on before I can make much progress playing with the new interface....

WOW,, Thats a wee servo Tony ,,,, It really showed up when you held it in your hand !!!

I've done your "Turn Co-Ordinator" ball thingy ,,, its in the Beta3 which is also including my "keys" program but it will be a couple of weeks (Guessing) till I get it out there ,,, Let me know if this is too long or I can fiddle the current version and throw it in there.
    I hear my Beta2d has the black textbox problem with some video cards,, so I might actually fix that and add the ball thingy if I have any problems getting Beta3 going quickly.

The output of the ball thingy ,,, I've made it 0 to 250 with 125 being the centre ,,, lets know what suits you ,, I can output any range you want but I thought that would suit you so you can directely feed the figure to the servo from the Arduino. ????

I had a big dig around your site ,,, excellent stuff and interesting idea's going on in there,,, great stuff.

Keep at it Tony ,,, Jim

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    WOW,, Thats a wee servo Tony ,,,, It really showed up when you held it in your hand !!!
    Yep... it's smaller than I thought it would be... amazing what technology allows these days..

I've done your "Turn Co-Ordinator" ball thingy ,,, its in the Beta3 which is also including my "keys" program but it will be a couple of weeks (Guessing) till I get it out there ,,, Let me know if this is too long or I can fiddle the current version and throw it in there.
    You take your time... no rush. There is plenty available with the first issue for me to play around with...

The output of the ball thingy ,,, I've made it 0 to 250 with 125 being the centre ,,, lets know what suits you ,, I can output any range you want but I thought that would suit you so you can directely feed the figure to the servo from the Arduino. ????
    Great and thanks! Those values are fine.... as you know, I'll probably have to normalize them, within the arduino sketch, to make it work with the functional length of servo travel and limits with the mechanical movements or the ball mechanism...

Have a few more pcs on the way... will post an update once I have everything..

Thanks again for your efforts Jim!

Tony
    Last edited by mndless; 06-07-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: sp :-\

25+ Posting Member

OK... really feeling my age... I ordered an Arduino Mini, thinking it would be fun to find a use for... if you look at the picture on the Arduino site, you can tell it is small...

Arduino Mini

Little sucker arrived in the mail today... it is very small... the pins have writting on them and my reading glasses are not a lot of help... this things really is only slightly larger then a postage stamp.....

Yes, yes... I do have a plan for it... it is just a bit smaller than I expected...

updated the servo video with the mini... it is so small, it doesn't have a direct USB attachment, so programming is a bit different...

Arduino Mini and the little servo

Have a RBBB and a couple of JeeNodes on the way... will report back when I have them working and the bunch all networked up and talking to each other.... or, at least I hope...

Your a busy little beaver Tony ,,,So much to play with and so little time ,, I suppose thats the fun of getting into this sort of stuff,, Its mind boggling what you can do and we are only limited by our imagination.

That IS small !!! and your eye sight ,, LOL ,, it happens to us all (mostly) And I started with reading glasses ,, moved on to a magnifier headset and then decided that there was no writting at all on those #@&+ silly wee small IC's. !!!!!!

Your turning out some great videos ,, interesting the different approach with driving the p/c servo,, neat stuff as long as the eye balls hang in there and the networking thru the cards sounds real interesting too as that could be a great way to get a cockpit all going without heaps of wiring from the computers to a stack of cards. We are watching this space.

I'm working on the PDE file now ,,, serial both ways is a bit of a pain when it comes to these cards ,,, but we'll get there.

OK back to it Tony ,, hang in there ,,, Jim

25+ Posting Member

Jim,

Haven't wandered off... still working on it. Putting together an effective network of boards has turned into a more involved task than I initially thought... not sure the task is that difficult, but rather the effort is over my pay grade and cranial capacity... apparently.... working on it... but, the pieces just are not fitting together as quickly as I want.... will report back soon...

Yea, sometimes ,, what you think will be the easy bit, turns out to be a can of worms ,, well thats what happens here at any rate Tony.

Keep at it though,, your on an interesting mission. ,, Jim

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast