Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: JUST CHAT ,, Idea's ,, say Hi ,,, What-ever ??

Hi and welcome to Mycockpit.org Rash and thanks for your kind words.

There's certainly plenty of reading ahead of you alright but it's a fun learning curve and when it all comes together you'll see great results.

At the moment there's not much around in the "modular" line but that will change as other simmers post their projects and we share idea's from one-an-other ,, then things will be more easy for everyone.

Have a dig around Rash ,, fiddle and experiment ,, it's neat fun.
    Any questions ,, just ask.

See ya ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

25+ Posting Member

Hi Rash,
    I'm a little way up the learning curve with this stuff and like you have been inspired by Jim's successes and ingenuity. I've been working on my "pit" for about 6mths. Have the basic windows, a single short throw projector (one day will be 3), some of the Saitek gear and I've just purchased a throttle quadrant - I've built an "overhead" - made a wooden frame, stuck a piece of 3mm MDF over it and then had an image of an overhead printed and glued that to the MDF - this enables me to drill holes and replace my pretend printed switches with real switches as I go.
    In the first instance (and I'm sure plenty of others before me have also) I ripped appart an old keyboard, soldered some wires onto the PCB inside, plugged it in and started knocking wires together and seeing what characters came up on the screen! Next obvious thing was Xkeys gear. Jim helped me get this stuff working and this is what I'm currently using for the switches in my overhead as we speak.
    All working pretty well however I've now ordered 2 x Arduino cards (the've not arrived yet) basically on the back of Jim's success with these cards. I now have inherited some more stuff to play with as the throttle quadrant I just bought has 3 x Phidgets cards in it along with servos for throttles / speed brake. I've had no luck yet getting FSUIPC to "see" these cards so I've got some fiddling to do there also.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is none of this stuff happens overnight. Best advice I can give is to enjoy the process of fiddling and learning. I also try (as much as possible) to keep the unfinished project "flyable" so you can have a fly now and then and enjoy the bits you have got working.

There's lots to see and read on this site too!

Jim if you're reading this, be warned those cards will be in my hands soon so you can expect a few dumb questions when they are!

Cheers for now.
    Tony

For a young Fella Tony ,,, such true words of wisdom

Yes ,, Always try to keep the sim fly-able ,, a real important thing in the equation. !!!

When you get your cards and want to "try" my demo PDE's you will have to download Arduino IDE version 0022 or if they are R3 cards you may have to use version 0023.
    Have a read of this post ,,,,
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...in-Arduino-1-0

Have fun there Tony ,,, you have a good setup too ,,, Jim

25+ Posting Member

Jim

As expected - cards in hand, dumb questions already being posted.

No problems following your intstructions at all thus far.

Only problem is when I hit the Connect to Simconnect button nothing happens - don't get any feedback from FSX at all.

Now the background here is this all works fine on my "home" computer. I'm now trying to get the same results on the million dollar PC that drives the sim - main difference is the price of the hardware and that the "home" PC is XP then Sim PC is Windows7. Software wise the "home" PC may have had FSX acceleration pack loaded and Sim PC does not.

I guess the basic question is - Is Simconnect "native" to FSX or a particular version / service pack need to be there? I'm guessing it simply is not there and therefore can't be "started" by your software.

I will keep plodding along in any case, but any ideas as aways greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now
    Tony

25+ Posting Member

Jim

OK - in the thick of it now....

See questions below code..

if (j1 == 'J'){ // Found the reading "Gear position Right"
    delay (11);
    com1sb = char(Serial.read());
    com1sb += char(Serial.read());
    com1sb += char(Serial.read());
    if (com1sb == 100)
    {
    // action A
    digitalWrite(13, HIGH); // set the LED on
    }
    else
    {
    // action B
    digitalWrite(13, LOW); // set the LED on
    }

}
    }

// End landing gear mod

-----------------------------

Ok, now to my young and impressionable mind this should be turning an led on / off for me.

I'm guessing I've not got a handle of the "byte value" when I do this serial.read (com1sb = char(Serial.read()).

I'm guessing this just reads a single character at a time from the string that is presented by FSINOUT? Is the result of the 3 reads in this example a value (numeric) or a string?

OR

What have I got wrong here.

Nearly there!

Cheers
    Tony

Good you got the cards Tony.
    A quickie ,, visitors here.

All my stuff (as far as I'm aware) runs on Windows 7 so check the docs that came with it ,,, check all the settings in the program itself ,,, check the appropriate forum thread and you should be able to get it running OK. Simconnect will be there.

The code ,,,, (Very quick look)
    Yes ,, you are dealing with strings.
    The line,,,
    if (com1sb == 100)
    change it to ,,,
    if (com1sb == "100")
    or ,,
    if (com1sb == '100')

I actually have to see the whole PDE file to be sure though. (It depends how you set it up )

Back to the visitors

Good luck Tony ,,, Jim

Well I just spent a few hours playing with Arduino's new version 1 of their IDE.
    Simply speaking ,, I'm not changing until a few things are sorted out.
    I'm sticking with version 0022.
    Once a patch for their new version 1 comes out ,, I'll have another look-see and go from there.
    Shame tho ,,, it has got some good new stuff in it. (Mainly with strings)

Ok ,, back to it ,,,, Jim

I figured this would be a good place to post first. First thank you so much for the point in the right direction. I have been sitting on CRJ200 panels for about 6 years never had the time or know-how to build it correctly, well that changed with arduino and your site. I can't thank you enough. The examples are perfect, I am not at fluent in C however I can read general programming and with your starter packs I was able to actually get my autopilot and gear lights working (as a test ). Thank you so much for the great work, your program was the missing link i needed to figure out how to talk to FSX. I will hopefully post here my progress as I build my autopilot for my CRJ.

First ,, welcome to mycockpit.org ,, it's a great place to share knowledge and meet fellow builders.
    Also thanks for your kind words ,,, it's posts like yours that encourage people to share and help develop our hobby to new heights.

That "starter pack" surprised the heck out of me with the number of downloads it's had ,,, if I had known it was going to be so popular I would have added more to it ,, but still ,, all the basic's are there and I'm glad it helped you get "your feet on the ground".

There are some great developments going on for flightsim Arduino users ,,, here and also from other developers so the future looks very bright for us. It just takes time to get it all together. That's why I've been VERY quite lately.

Anyway ,, thanks again and I hope you get your CRJ200 panels all lit up and operational ,, it's been a long wait for ya.

Cheers ,,, Jim

Beginning the long journey. so excited to get these two buttons working... My card hard at work already.. now to just finish getting all the correct buttons ordered.
    AP_Begining.jpgAP_arduino1.jpg

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast