500+ This must be a daytime job

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Improving Router Speed Control

Hi Guys ,
    Came across this Super speed controller for Routers. Reduces noise, gives accurate speed control and LCD readout.
    See the following two links, the first is the website selling these and the second is the thread on cnczone.

http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID.htm

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ter_speed.html

Regards
    Les

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Improving Router Speed Control

Hi,
    Thanks for replying. Could you please elaborate on why you say reliability is poor.
    Les

300+ Forum Addict

I have been using a $20 speed controller from Harbor Freight for almost 3 years, works just fine. Goes just slow enough that I can get the perfect chip loads on almost any plastic. There's no readout on the model I have, but doesn't seem to matter. I adjusr the speed from high to low during testing. When the edge ofthe cut starts to show signs of burring or nicks I speed it up just a bit and then adjust the feedrate until the temp of the bit goes up about 5 degrees F. I stop there and then watch for any sign of heat buildup in slow turns, adjusting the feedrate if needed. I might add that according to the specs on the Onsrud cutters I use, my depth-per-pass is a little shallow, but better safe than sorry. I hate ruining parts and breaking bits because I want a panel finished 2 minutes sooner! The Onsrud website has great information regarding how to get the feedrate and spindle speed configured for the optimal chip load on different materials. The big thing on most plastics and acrylics is to avoid generating heat. Getting a big enough chip on each bit rotation to carry heat in the chips seems to be the goal. Chips that are too big don't give a perfect finish. Chips that are too small don't carry away enough heat and can cause melting, which in my earlier days resulted in bits with wads of material fused around them and ruined panels, not to mention many $ worth of broken bits. Thats why slower spindle speeds on single-flute cutters are optimal for most CNC systems cutting plastics, the single flute can generate a bigger chip compared to a 2-flute cutter running at the same spindle speed and feedrate. The speed control really made a big difference in cutting. I used a magic marker to mark the best speeds on my controller for each type of material. An added bonus is that you can vaccuum up real chips rather than dust!

Buddy

75+ Posting Member

The Onsrud website has great information regarding how to get the feedrate and spindle speed configured for the optimal chip load on different materials.
    Buddy,

I have just spent several minutes on the Onsrud website but have not been able to find the info you mentioned above. Can you please provide a link or suggestions on how to find it.

Thanks, Dave
    Dave Kemp
    FS9-BU0836X-GoFlight 166-TH2GO-WideFS-FSUIPC-Opencockpits